Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRizRV View Post
    John,

I have the Turning Point Hitch that is set to swivel with the Curt A16 Hitch with a Curt Wedge and I do use a lube plate but I did have to cut out the section where the wedge is.

We have the 2018 230 RL

I have used it in both positions, locked or set to rotate and could not feel any difference in towing, but if you are backing up it makes a huge difference in maneuverability. My preference is "Set To Rotate"

As for hitching you do need to be fairly straight but the hitch will rotate a little if you are slightly off

This is what I stated in a previous post "I have 6.75 bed and the hitch is installed over the rear axle, I try to avoid extreme turns while backing, but certain campgrounds have narrow roads with trees and vehicles parked in bad spots unwilling to move. So I'll take all the flexibility I can get"

Mark

Thank you all. I also have a 6.75' bed with a conventional hitch installed over the rear axle so tight turning is a concern. Thank you Mark, you have answered my questions. Friday, we are going to an RV Show so hopefully I can get a close up look at a Turning Point hitch and use the new information I have to help in my decision. I value the first hand knowledge of users way over some salesman who has probably never towed a trailer in his life!
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    I decided the Turning Point device would make my 5er tow like a TT. So I locked it!
    Towing with the turning point hitch set to swivel is nothing like towing a travel trailer, we have been using for two years now and have never experienced any effects like a TT. Actually it is quite pleasant and stress free
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a 295RL and was thinking about switching the pivot point to help backing as well. I would appreciate more comments on difference in towing - especially at interstate speeds (60-65 mph). I usually don’t have a problem but some campgrounds require tight turns and I have a tool box that gets close

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Mounce View Post
    I just bought a 295RL and was thinking about switching the pivot point to help backing as well. I would appreciate more comments on difference in towing - especially at interstate speeds (60-65 mph). I usually don’t have a problem but some campgrounds require tight turns and I have a tool box that gets close
    Barry,
    As I stated a few posts back, I have towed with the turning point hitch in the unlocked and the unlocked configuration on highway going 65-70, I could not tell the difference between the two. It felt about the same. So my preference is set to swivel for the backing and maneuvering flexibility. I have been using it set to swivel for two years.
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the Turning Point Hitch in the "unlocked" configuration for two years. No complaints with the hitch. I do not use a lube plate. Instead I use an anti-corrosion spray about every other time I unhitch.

As for hitching, you do not need to be straight (perpendicular) to the front of the camper; but you do need to be straight to the hitch and aligned very close left to right to the hitch pin and wedge. If you are off, the wedge hits the shoulder of the hitch. While the hitch will rotate to allow everything to hitch two things happen that I don't like.

First, the wedge will beat up the hitch shoulders. Hasn't caused a damage on my hitch, but i don't like it. Second, the wedge may get pushed toward the rear of the camper causing more play in wedge/hitch connection. Too much play there and you will know it when pulling.

Again, like the turning point system. Like most things there are always going to be trade offs.
    Mike, Linda, and Shady (terrier mix rescue)

Reflection 150 230 RL with free standing dinette (swapped location of the dinette and the recliners)
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali
    B&W Companion Hitch and Turning Point Pin Box locked out

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyCamper View Post
    I've used the Turning Point Hitch in the "unlocked" configuration for two years. No complaints with the hitch. I do not use a lube plate. Instead I use an anti-corrosion spray about every other time I unhitch.

As for hitching, you do not need to be straight (perpendicular) to the front of the camper; but you do need to be straight to the hitch and aligned very close left to right to the hitch pin and wedge. If you are off, the wedge hits the shoulder of the hitch. While the hitch will rotate to allow everything to hitch two things happen that I don't like.

First, the wedge will beat up the hitch shoulders. Hasn't caused a damage on my hitch, but i don't like it. Second, the wedge may get pushed toward the rear of the camper causing more play in wedge/hitch connection. Too much play there and you will know it when pulling.

Again, like the turning point system. Like most things there are always going to be trade offs.

Original poster here, thank you Mike for sharing your experience with the turning point system. Interesting about the wedge damaging the 5th wheel hitch plate. If Lippert did some research, I'm sure there are wedge materials out there that would be tough but still soft enough not to ding up the plate. Your comments have given me more to think about this style of pin box.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you keep the wedge greased on the angled sides and the grease the pin on the side away from the truck, it will make the hitching process much easier and less chances for damaging the plate, as for the the wedge moving you need to check the torque frequently, it should be 200lbs, mine has never moved in two years
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a BW patriot hitch and the wedge that comes with the turning point does not work with it. Cost me a day at the dealer waiting for BW to overnight the proper wedge but it fits perfect. As far as the lube plate goes on mine there really isn’t enough room for it although I guess you could trim it to fit past where the wedge comes in but since it doesn’t move I never bothered. I did find that because the wedge that BW sent is so well fitted and tight that lining up is fairy important however I have hooked up slightly off angle with no issues. I have had no problems with this type of system and in fact think it’s a brilliant idea someone came up with. As a plus you can rotate your king pin out of the way so your not bumping into it when passing the front of your rig. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rotating pinbox with lube plate

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRizRV View Post
    John,

I have the Turning Point Hitch that is set to swivel with the Curt A16 Hitch with a Curt Wedge and I do use a lube plate but I did have to cut out the section where the wedge is.

We have the 2018 230 RL

I have used it in both positions, locked or set to rotate and could not feel any difference in towing, but if you are backing up it makes a huge difference in maneuverability. My preference is "Set To Rotate"

As for hitching you do need to be fairly straight but the hitch will rotate a little if you are slightly off

This is what I stated in a previous post "I have 6.75 bed and the hitch is installed over the rear axle, I try to avoid extreme turns while backing, but certain campgrounds have narrow roads with trees and vehicles parked in bad spots unwilling to move. So I'll take all the flexibility I can get"

Mark
    I have a 260RD F/W with the Lippert wedge, B&W Patriot 16K, stock wedge works fine. Service dept at dealer says it should be ok, but looking at the custom wedge: SWW-06 is what I found. Having noted all that the primary question I have is regarding the notch in the Lube Plate, curious of the cut made, also what you cut it with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwr100 View Post
    I have a 260RD F/W with the Lippert wedge, B&W Patriot 16K, stock wedge works fine. Service dept at dealer says it should be ok, but looking at the custom wedge: SWW-06 is what I found. Having noted all that the primary question I have is regarding the notch in the Lube Plate, curious of the cut made, also what you cut it with.
    I used a cardboard cutout first as the template, then I used a hacksaw blade with a handle on the one side similar to a hole saw, but a hand scroll saw would work as well
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast