User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning Point Hitch Questions

We are considering buying a 150 Series Reflection model which of course has the Turning Point hitch. Our present 29rs has a conventional 5th wheel hitch. One question I have is does the trailer and truck have to be more in alignment with each other while backing up to hitch? My thinking is that with the wedge bolted in place that the truck and trailer would have to be very straight on because there would be little wiggle room like you have with a conventional 5th wheel hitch.

Another question I have, is there room between the king pin and the wedge to allow the use of a plastic lube plate? Of course in the stationary position, the lube benefit wouldn't apply but I am thinking of the protection of the painted surfaces on the two mating flat surfaces. I have been using a lube plate on our 29rs since new and the paint on my B&W hitch is still like new and no rust.

Can any members who have trailers with the Turning Point hitch answer please? Thank you
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided the Turning Point device would make my 5er tow like a TT. So I locked it!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the Reese sidewinder for 5 years now.
    Similar to the turning point wedge.
    I can say the only drawback to this system, is when backing into hitch , you must be very straight.
    Not much wiggle room for side to side slide up and lock to hitch.
    I have no problems in over 40,000 towing miles on two trailers.
    2016 Ram 3500 SWD 3:73 Turbo Diesel 6'4"" box
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick, not much help but thanks for reading my post anyhow.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    I decided the Turning Point device would make my 5er tow like a TT. So I locked it!
    With a SuperGlide hitch you wouldn't use it anyway........
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the OP, what hitch do you have now?

If you are good towing your 29RS with out a slider hitch, you don't need to use the wedge. Tow it like you do now.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    With a SuperGlide hitch you wouldn't use it anyway........
    You've confused cause and effect. The trailer choice came first.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    John - while I have a turning point hitch, I don't use it. However I have seen several in use at the dealer. You question on the lube plate and wedge - you wont know until your hooked up and install the wedge. If there is an issue, just notch the lube plate.

Now having to be properly aligned - all that is needed is to be lined up with the wedge, You just turn the turning point hitch to line up as your backing. At least that is what I saw at the dealer the other day. Guy backed in at about 30 degrees, dealer just turned the turning point head to match.

Last thought - you may need a special wedge for your B&W hitch. I would give then a call. To work properly the wedge need to be a tight fit with no slop.

Now last thought. If you have a standard 8' bed you do not need the turning point, It will work fine locked (the way I use it) If you have a Ford 6 3/4' bed you ma ynot need it. Other short bed trucks it can come in handy, or get the slider adapter for your B&W.

Hope this helps
    On edit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKnwicvbHZw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTEIO8-ZWfQ

Also read the manual that came with it.

Second edit. I stand corrected - from Lippert manual NOTE: The truck and trailer must be straight and in line for the wedge to enter into the 5th wheel funnel.

I wonder how the dealer managed it?
    Last edited by powerscol; 11-06-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    John - while I have a turning point hitch, I don't use it. However I have seen several in use at the dealer. You question on the lube plate and wedge - you wont know until your hooked up and install the wedge. If there is an issue, just notch the lube plate.

Now having to be properly aligned - all that is needed is to be lined up with the wedge, You just turn the turning point hitch to line up as your backing. At least that is what I saw at the dealer the other day. Guy backed in at about 30 degrees, dealer just turned the turning point head to match.

Last thought - you may need a special wedge for your B&W hitch. I would give then a call. To work properly the wedge need to be a tight fit with no slop.

Now last thought. If you have a standard 8' bed you do not need the turning point, It will work fine locked (the way I use it) If you have a Ford 6 3/4' bed you ma ynot need it. Other short bed trucks it can come in handy, or get the slider adapter for your B&W.

Hope this helps
    On edit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKnwicvbHZw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTEIO8-ZWfQ

Also read the manual that came with it.

Second edit. I stand corrected - from Lippert manual NOTE: The truck and trailer must be straight and in line for the wedge to enter into the 5th wheel funnel.

I wonder how the dealer managed it?
    Thank you Powerscol for your comments. One of the reasons I am considering changing to a model that uses the Turning Point hitch is to maybe make backing up a little easier since it moves the pivot point back 22". All of my previous trailers were conventional bumper pull types and I could back up all much easier then I can my 29rs which of course is a conventional 5th wheel. The biggest reason for possibly changing models though is the floorplan of the 295rl. The fact that it has the Turning Point hitch just made it look more attractive to me for the possible advertised benefits.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodwrench View Post
    We are considering buying a 150 Series Reflection model which of course has the Turning Point hitch. Our present 29rs has a conventional 5th wheel hitch. One question I have is does the trailer and truck have to be more in alignment with each other while backing up to hitch? My thinking is that with the wedge bolted in place that the truck and trailer would have to be very straight on because there would be little wiggle room like you have with a conventional 5th wheel hitch.

Another question I have, is there room between the king pin and the wedge to allow the use of a plastic lube plate? Of course in the stationary position, the lube benefit wouldn't apply but I am thinking of the protection of the painted surfaces on the two mating flat surfaces. I have been using a lube plate on our 29rs since new and the paint on my B&W hitch is still like new and no rust.

Can any members who have trailers with the Turning Point hitch answer please? Thank you
    John,

I have the Turning Point Hitch that is set to swivel with the Curt A16 Hitch with a Curt Wedge and I do use a lube plate but I did have to cut out the section where the wedge is.

We have the 2018 230 RL

I have used it in both positions, locked or set to rotate and could not feel any difference in towing, but if you are backing up it makes a huge difference in maneuverability. My preference is "Set To Rotate"

As for hitching you do need to be fairly straight but the hitch will rotate a little if you are slightly off

This is what I stated in a previous post "I have 6.75 bed and the hitch is installed over the rear axle, I try to avoid extreme turns while backing, but certain campgrounds have narrow roads with trees and vehicles parked in bad spots unwilling to move. So I'll take all the flexibility I can get"

Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast