User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FordmanNJ View Post
    As for the commuter side of things, I would suggest finding a cheap econobox for those days.
    Good input - the OP has posted that he has already purchased a 3/4 ton gasser.

Other than the potential size hassle, I suggest doing the math to see if having that extra vehicle would even make sense. Last year I did the same when I considered buying an electric bicycle to commute some days. The low-end e-bike was going to cost way more than a whole year's fuel costs for commuting. When you add in the annual insurance and maintenance costs of that econobox, you have even further to go before you are fiscally in the green.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
    Good input - the OP has posted that he has already purchased a 3/4 ton gasser.

Other than the potential size hassle, I suggest doing the math to see if having that extra vehicle would even make sense. Last year I did the same when I considered buying an electric bicycle to commute some days. The low-end e-bike was going to cost way more than a whole year's fuel costs for commuting. When you add in the annual insurance and maintenance costs of that econobox, you have even further to go before you are fiscally in the green.

Best regards,
    Chris
    I did see that once you pointed it out. Sometimes some of the details are buried in the thread. I did eventually find it once you mentioned it.

Interesting observation about the E bike. Where I live the bike is not really an option. In my particular situation, I am currently using my tow vehicle as the DD for the time being. My DD finally went to car heaven. I will be looking for a DD soon once I get my truck payment gone or really lowered where the extra payment is not much of a fact for a couple of months. Right now the way things stand, I really do not want to put myself into a spot where I will have 3 payments for 12-18 months. I am OK 2 but not 3. With the truck getting wrecked really threw a wrench into whole vehicle replacement plan. My wife got her vehicle replaced in 2017. My old F250 was paid off. My DD was well paid off. She had not had a vehicle in about 3 years at that point since her car had died and was towed away. She was using my Explorer to get around. I was using the truck. When we got here car I went back to using the Explorer as my DD. We were going to replace the Explorer in 2018 but the truck got wrecked which means I incurred a payment even though the pay out was a nice chuck of change. My payments is pretty low but I am also making double or even triple payment, to clear the unexpected note. Over the Summer, the Explorer's trans passed the ghost. I now use the truck for the DD to get to work and the like. When we go out, we use my wife's car to get around. Luckily I only have a 20 or so minute commute but still filling a 35 gallon gas tank even with low fuel prices sucks. Hopefully if I work it the right way and the way I have the payments set up, I might have both her car and my truck both paid off by the end of next year. Her car might have been paid off sooner if I had found "Add to the principle" function on the loan web site. Once that was found, life was better for us.

I will leave you with this. I once read a statement on the internet about camping. It's amazing how people will spend to go camping. When you think of it is pretty accurate. People have different financial arrangements in life. Some are able to buy outright and have no payments. Others have small loans on their rigs. When it comes to the TV, it's the same thing. When I look at my rig I saw "wow that is a lot of money right there!" Paid A amount of the truck. B amount for the trailer. That is C amount before insurance and the like. Then you factor in the cost of the camping, getting there, storage and the other items. It really adds up. I try not to think of these costs in terms of dollars but in terms of making memories. The hope is cost whatever it is, has a worth while long term investment.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the continued input on this thread.

Quick update on the trailer search, update that validates all the suggestions to just get a larger tow vehicle. We've decided to future proof and go with a slightly larger rig - negotiated a good deal on the Reflection 31MB FW. Great flexibility the mid-bunk gives us with our two boys and the larger living area as well. Will be closing on this today and picking up in the next week or so. Glad I went with the 3/4 ton, added some additional lbs on the towing side with the fifth wheel but definitely benefit from the higher payload of the TV. Thanks again for all the recommendations...will post pics once we take delivery!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took delivery of our FW over the weekend (Reflection 31MB), here it is, all hooked up to the Sierra HD. We went with the Andersen Ultimate hitch to save weight on the payload, surprisingly great turning radius and clearance once we got it setup. Buddy of mine that pulls a larger Raptor drove it as well, helped with dialing in the trailer brake setup and gave me a the thumbs up! Higher revving when climbing but very smooth at 65 mph cruising.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191207_164811.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	23797

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking combination, congratulations!

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you get the correct gearing for a tow vehicle. Too many people do not look at this, If you are looking at a gas 1500 go with 3:73 gears. You will be sorry with the pulling if you go with 3:45

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smart move on the 3/4 ton

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking rig. You should have many miles of trouble free driving and comfort.
    Barry:D
    USN Retired
    2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, many mods, B&W rollball Gooseneck hitch and Anderson Ultimate adaptor
    2020 Reflection 337RLS, TorxLift stairs, bug screens on Furnace, HWH, Fridge, Cross bar on screen door
    Yanmar Sc2450

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marauderer View Post
    Nice looking rig. You should have many miles of trouble free driving and comfort.
    Thanks, just not currently sure about my Tow rig, 2019 Silverado 3500 Diesel, single axle
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone12-19 088.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	23854

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my GMC 2500 6.0 gas & reflection 303 fw Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181011_111752.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	23855
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast