Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2150 RB vs. 2600 RB and a 10,300 tow truck

New to RVing, and am presently in Bagram Afghanistan, but when I return in 8 months, I plan to buy either the 2600 RB or the 2150 RB. My truck is a 2018 F-150 Platinum, 6.5 bed, max tow package, 157 wheelbase 4x4. Seems to max out at 10,300. Both of these are doable, however, I wouldn't want to try to tow much more, for I feel going anywhere near the max isnt prudent but foolish.

So- I research and realize I will need : generator, blackwater dump pump, cover, surge protector as my big extras. Anything else? How do you feel about the balance of truck to RV? Anyone got a Golden retriever for sale in the tri state area :} Not looking to do this alone :] How about sway bar recommendations? Do I even need them with this config? Txs

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the payload capacity on your truck. It will be on the driver's door frame. Obviously, you can't do it now, but payload will be your limiting factor, not tow capacity.
    I wouldn't waste money on a cover...they can cause more problems than they solve. What is a blackwater dump pump?
    You will need a weight distribution hitch with sway control. Many recommend an equalizer brand. Check with e trailer. Their experts can help.
    Does the truck have tow mirrors? Built in trailer brake controller? You will need both.
    Good luck and come home soon.
    2018 Imagine 2800bh
    2018 Ram 2500
    6.4 heni

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2018 F150 lariat, full crew cab, short box 4X4, 3.5 Eco-boost has a payload of 1392 per the door sticker. I’ve added a tonneau cover and use an Andersen 3550 hitch, these add about 100# to the truck leaving around 1300# of payload. both of us and our Saint in the cab is another 450#, which leaves about 850# for tongue weight and box stuff. 750# is the loaded tongue weight of my 2150RB. It is close, but I just make it.
    The platinum has more goodies, check the door sticker and I think the 2600RB is too much trailer for your truck.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for checking the door Payload & tire/axel limit labels on your truck. My '11 Platinum is surprisingly wimpy with only 1266 lbs of payload fresh from the factory. That's before I added a few items, so less now. Luckily (I was uneducated then) we bought a trailer that my truck could actually tow without exceeding any limits. (Yea, I've taken it to CAT scales to make sure). Pay no attention to what an RV salesman will say you can tow & take any manufacturer's tongue weight claims with a large grain of salt.
    When its time to buy if you have a doubt have the dealer put it on a scale then add whatever extra weight you think you'll carry. Then double that figure.
    Good luck.
    Travel Safe,

Mike, Rhonda & Reuben the dog
    '20 Reflection 303RLS
    '20 F-250
    '98 Mustang GT Convertible
    Some other unimportant stuff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for responses. I have asked my friend to open the door for those numbers, however, a google search tells me this: A 3.5L EcoBoost® V6 engine provides the most towing capability at 12,100 pounds and 3,230 pounds of payload when equipped with 141” wheelbase, 18” wheels, and the Heavy-Duty Payload Package.

I have the 157" wheelbase, 20" wheels and the max tow package. I realize that info on the web can be erroneous, but assuming the worst case scenario, it says: 2,133 to 2,311 lbs payload for the platinum.
    I do have a tonneau so I add for that. My weight of 210, a dog at 100, and some stuff. I see I have a lot to learn and am concerned that one comment mentioned the 2600 is too much for my truck to tow....of course, ignore the salesman and manufacturer, got it. But could you guys ring in again? I thought I was being conservative aiming for the 2150 or 2600RB, and am concerned that the 2600 (which I am leaning towards) is too much....? I guess towing capacity means nothing? Your '11 plat is whimpy, and I believe the config I have is the max for a half ton truck? I'll be upset to hear that the 2150 is the best I can hope for :[

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brochure towing weights are for a stripped-down truck, hence the low payload numbers for a Platinum or King Ranch trim level.
    Don't confuse max tow package and max payload package. The max payload truck is built on a heavier frame and uses the rear end & suspension from a F250. My guess is the payload on your truck is closer to 1500# for a Platinum package. I think a 2600 is doable but a 2150 or 2250 would be an easier tow.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, my door sticker says my payload is 1408 lbs. While it doesn't say payload, it states The combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed: 1408- thats payload, correct?

Not wanting to get too much into the calcs, is pulling a 2150 RB too much?
    Last edited by PhillyK; 10-28-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulling a 2600RB is not the issue as the what can be pulled weight is much more than what can be safely added to the truck as tongue weight. The ideal tongue weight is 12.5% (that is just the median of 10% to 15%) of loaded trailer weight on the tongue to reduce sway when travelling at highway speeds. The published tongue weights are about 7% of empty trailer weight. The loaded weight will add another 5% of loaded trailer weight to the hitch. For example, if a trailer has an empty tongue weight of 500#, the estimated tongue weight would be an additional 350# for a total tongue weight of at least 850#. (You add 5/7ths of 500#). Only way to know is to weigh it but this estimate comes close.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phillyk, I have 2019 2600RB that I pull around Utah with my 2017 F-150 3.5 Eco. 4WD 6.5 bed with larger aftermarket tires and a 3/2" levelling kit. I have a 1000 LB ride-rite WD hitch. With Eilbach shocks (Ford OEM shocks are junk) and 1000 LB air bags, I have no trouble with the trailer and 3-500 Lbs of payload (mostly in the truck bed). Do I notice it? Yes! Does it make the 3.5 eco work harder? of course! The set up is functional with in ford specs. Check out the sticker under your hitch for weight limits, and check the Ford guide for towing. I went through the same research when I got mine. I tested the trucks capability (in mountains) with a friend's trailer before purchasing because no matter what anyone says, you have to know for sure before making an investment.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...tyPU_Nov27.pdf