User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow Vehicle purchase Recommendation

Hi All - New member, also new to RV-ing in general. Looking to invest in both a travel trailer and a tow vehicle in the very near term. I know decision on one certainly affects the other...which makes the research and buying doubly complex

We've almost narrowed down the TT to a bunkhouse (2800BH), lighter weight and ticks all the boxes for our family needs...2 adults + 2 young boys.

Now the fun debate on what the appropriate TV begins. Lots of experience and expertise on these forums so I'd love to hear feedback and opinions based on some of the parameters I'm working with. No right answer, just looking for educated opinions to help with the decision.

Here goes::
    - TV will be my primary commuter, 30 mins daily, plus some weekend running around town, in addition to the camper trips - hence leaning toward a gas engine
    - Looking at maybe 5-10 weekend/long weekend trip + 2 to 3 week long trips per year (working around kids school schedule)
    - Don't see full time RVing in the future, at least not for another 10+ years
    - If we do go that route way out in the future, will definetly consider a fifth wheel at that point, for now thing travel trailer suits our needs
    - Budgeting around ~40k for the tow vehicle
    - FWIW, I like the GMC Sierra, purely aesthetics, so presently debating between a 2019 loaded 1500 SLT (lots of good model year end deals out there) vs used late model 2500HD SLT or Denali....definitely open to hearing recommendations for other brand options.

Thanks everyone.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a head start and save some time - read this thread:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the weight and length of the 2800BH you are going to want a 2500HD truck. You may get some responses saying their 1500 tows a similar weight and length and "I don't know it is back there" but it is still the tail wagging the dog even if it is within all ratings for the 1500.

Since you are new at RVing I will mention one other thing you may not have thought about in your trailer selection. The 2800BH has those nice big windows overlooking your neighbors camp side and them looking at you. I much prefer a floor plan with the windows looking out over my own camp side and this also allows you to keep an eye on your kids easier as they are out playing etc. The awnings can also provide shade for your windows depending on the campsite orientation. Just one more thing to consider.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the above, 2500 model for sure. The price gap is pretty minimal if you do some shopping.

We tow with the Suburban 2500 and are pretty happy. The 6.0L does fine, we cruise at 65-68mph in 5th gear. If you live at higher altitudes or will tow in the mountains try to find one with 4.10 gears.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are like us you will spend a season in your TT and love it so much that you trade up the very next season. So get plenty of truck so that you have the flexibility to get a larger trailer or 5th than you think you will have. I would get at least a 3/4 ton no matter what size of trailer. I towed a 5000 lb TT with Ram 1500 and it was great but we were limited in upgrade size so I ended up trading up to a Ram 3500 Cummins so that we could upgrade to a fifth wheel and man, it’s costly to purchase both a truck and trailer at the same time :-)
    Mark
    2020 Reflection 303RLS 2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie HO Cummins
    2018 Flagstaff Shamrock 21SS Hybrid (previous)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with at least a 3/4T... but at that point just spring for the 1T as it gives you options in the future. I had 4 GM trucks over ~25yrs. No issues (my brother is still driving my 04 2500HD), but GM lost me with the 2015+ models. Test drove a Ford and jumped ship in 2017. GM fixed a lot of my gripes/issues with the 2020 model trucks... but I've decided to stick with Ford and took delivery of my 2nd Ford truck in Sept and couldn't be happier. All 3 have proven power plants in gas & diesel - buy the truck that fits you the best.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to consider a gas Nissan Titan XD. It will hit your price point with more options, 5yr 100000 bumper to bumper warranty, and tows better than any 1/2 ton on the market. Why? Because it's a 5/8 ton. Plus it drives like an SUV. No hard clunky suspension for your daily commutes.

It weighs about 6700lbs while most 1/2 tons hover around 5000lbs. That's important when towing. If your trailer is a lot heavier than your tow vehicle, then it's easier for the "tail to wag the dog".

The down sides to the XD is crappy mpg, low payload numbers compared to a 3/4 ton, and poor value retention. Look for a used one with 3 to 4 years left on the warranty (2018).
    Last edited by Boom 'r Bust; 11-14-2019 at 04:30 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the great input on this. We ended up purchasing the 3/4 ton Sierra last night . Being that it's a gas 6.0L motor, I'm sure I'll get hit on the mpg both towing and commute but the safety and future proofing arguments won't out. Also read great things on the reliability of these Chevy workhorses, that was a big factor for me.

Next, on to the TT haggling process, will start a different thread for that one

Thanks again all.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    For a $40k budget I would have gone for a slightly used diesel one ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't over-expect from the 6.0L. It will get the job done towing, but you will understand me after you pull grade. It's definitely the better choice for balancing as a daily driver. It's too bad GM discontinued the 8.1L gas motor IMO.

Welcome to the camper equivalent of the chicken or the egg! Now expect your future to go this way too over the long haul when upgrading! The secret recipe is how you convince your wife of the pros and benefits... lol

Happy camping and memory making!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast