User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New shocks or both socks and bags?

I was calling around to get quotes for installing new Bilsteins on my 2011 2500HD gasser and one of the mechanics brought up a different configuration. He suggested getting air bags for pulling my fiver with better/smoother riding shocks.

I know bags are used for sagging rear ends, however, I don't have that issue.

Would his suggestion benefit me, or is it just added expense? I would love a smoother ride when not towing, but I don't know enough to say yay or nay.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
    2011Chevy Silverado 6.0 2500HD
    2020.5 (White) Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bags would stiffen up the rear suspension similar to adding leafs like a 3500 as needed. I have bags on my 3500. I also don’t have a sag issue, my truck rides level without any air in the bags. but it does stiffen it up for less bouncing off the overloads on rough roads. I run the minimum air pressure (25psi) in the bags.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi1 following your post boogmeister1 as I would also like to smooth out the rough ride on my 2500HD when not towing. Hope someone has a good suggestion.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    Hi1 following your post boogmeister1 as I would also like to smooth out the rough ride on my 2500HD when not towing. Hope someone has a good suggestion.
    Short of trying to engineer something that eliminates some of the leafs and depends on air bags for the load carrying I don't think there is much you can do for empty running. Ram has an optional system like that for their 3500. Their 2500's are full air from the factory. I don't think shocks do a heck of a lot for ride as the stiff springs are still there.

There are some aftermarket companies that sell suspension systems that could help but the cost may be prohibitive.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boogmeister1 View Post
    I was calling around to get quotes for installing new Bilsteins on my 2011 2500HD gasser and one of the mechanics brought up a different configuration. He suggested getting air bags for pulling my fiver with better/smoother riding shocks.

I know bags are used for sagging rear ends, however, I don't have that issue.

Would his suggestion benefit me, or is it just added expense? I would love a smoother ride when not towing, but I don't know enough to say yay or nay.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
    And I just realized you were also asking about empty ride. I originally read this on my phone and thought you were asking about the ride while towing. The bags help with the loaded ride but don't do anything while empty
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did Bilsteins on my 2015 Chevy 2500 gasser and installed 1500# Sumosprings in place of the bump stops. Sumo's are a urethane cellular foam deal. They offer similar performance as air bags but simple install and forget. You can even drill a 1" hole thru them and they work. I can throw well over a ton of material in the back of my 2500 and it just starts approaching a level stance, but with the Bilstein's and Sumo's, soooo smooth and sure footed.

When running empty, lower the tire air pressures. I got the load pressure chart from BFG for my KO2's and I typically run about 50-55 PSI all the way around when empty. I air up when I will load up. That and the Bilstein 4600's I put on made a whale of a difference in ride quality. The stock Ranchos that came on my 2500 just plain sucked rocks.

https://www.supersprings.com/products/sumosprings/
    Last edited by Copperhead; 08-29-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    Should have kept your ecoboost (F150) for a smother ride. That's why I'm not going to a 3/4 ton. Put shocks, bags, E tires and rear sway bar on. Power is never a problem
    Last edited by Mister B; 08-29-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    2018 GD Reflection 297RSTS
    2013 F150 https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/1...-counting.html
    2017 Jeep Grande Cherokee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt, ride quality is going to be better most times with a 1/2 ton. I just don't see the value. I have a wide use need for my 3/4 ton over and above towing needs and I can buy a 3/4 ton that has more capability than any 1/2 ton being made, at a much lower price. My 2015 2500HD 6.0 LT Z71 9500 GVWR/13,500 Tow/20,500 GCWR with snow plow prep, tow package including 5th/Gooseneck prep, and integrated brake controller, and a Line-X bed job thrown in had a out the door price of $38K brand new. Even the new more capable 2020 2500HD with the new 6.6L gas (401HP / 464 torque) are going for $40K out the door. No 1/2 ton comes close in capability. It is all about the market. The 1/2 tons are a massive cash cow for dealers.
    Last edited by Copperhead; 08-29-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our experience adding air bags to our F250 smoothed out the ride on our 5er. If you think about it, bags are a very basic air suspension as well as a leveling system.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are indeed basic air suspension. My entire semi truck and trailer rides on air bags. Not a spring in sight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast