User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I can tell you for certain that this is the case with FR having been to their factories for each of our previous models. There was no wet testing till off the assembly floor. Would be interesting to know if GD does it differently. Nonetheless, you really cannot say if units being compared are equal unless comparing build sheet to build sheet. Listing descriptions by dealers miss plenty, and something simple like a factory slide topper can eat some CCC.
    Agree with your experience noted for FR, in my case it was for Northwoods some time ago. The "stickers" were put on in the factory, before the unit was rolled outside. All or any wet testing and "deluxe-ing" was done outside. @TimtheTollMan brings up an interesting observation, why the discrepancies for this particular model? Even the GVWR was different in one case. Makes you wonder what is going on at the Winnie version of GDRV.

Good point about slide toppers or other add ons. often they are forgotten for estimates, which is why a run by the CAT scale is usually a surprise.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimtheToolMan View Post
    According to the literature for the XLS there is only one option: the dinette (in lieu of the stadium sofa). This is also what I saw in three different units, in two different locations. Slide cover is a dealer install option, which as mentioned, further reduces stated CCC.Attachment 24159
    Really, you can only truly compare with build sheets. Marketing literature cannot be relied upon - true for every industry (should have seen the errors in early 5th Gen RAM brochures). There are also mid-year changes, engineering revisions, and non-print options and upgrades. For instance, take when they switched Lippert axles back to Dexter. For same rated axle, Dexter weigh more. Same is true between brands of tires... When I bought our prior camper, one of FR's top dealers had their own "package" from the factory that included items no other dealer could have on the same unit. Memory escapes me on the exact model, but there was a similar debate on a Mobile Suites 5er where the monster slide had to get an engineering revision because it would flex alarmingly out of the trailer box going down the road. Took some pretty good steel to fix, and suddenly it was a big deal on CCC with this mid-year revision. I seem to recall a similar event in GD history swapping out cable slideout to through-frame, and you bet that'sa big difference in weight. Final thought, sometimes the stickers are just wrong because humans are involved, and translational accuracy can drift...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is only one option on this unit and that is the theater seating compared to a dinette. The CCC range is ridiculous to be that much different from one unit to another of the same model line. Also the 43 gallons of water includes the 6 gallon water heater in that 43.
    Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 Red and Black Ram Rebel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by goducks14; 01-19-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed! I've have a plan to "solarize" my next RV. The weight of that equipment will be some where around 600 lbs., more or less depending on the battery choice. That will leave very little for water, clothes, dishes and other sundry items. Not sure how Grand Designs can justify such a low CCC.

KorKoro

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed!

KorKoro

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    I do agree the numbers look low, but you have to ask yourself, does the CCC meet the needs of the majority of the market the unit was designed for? For the two of us and the dog, we store about 300#s (10% of which is dog food) in the front stowage and almost the same,275#s to 300#s in the trailer. If we packed a 17MKE, we could take about the same fresh water we do, maybe 5 to 10 gallons.
    Obviously if you want to pack full water, firewood and lots of personal stuff, the 17MKE does not meet your needs.

Northwood Arctic Fox for example has one of the highest CCC I’ve noticed in the travel trailer market, well over 2000# on a 10000 GVWR unit. Not much help for someone looking at a 17MKE, but maybe there is a smaller unit with a higher CCC out there.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMHO but I think GD makes the XLS for the budget conscience 1st time type buyer thats moving up from a popup or tent and is not as concerned with CCC, but more concerned about the interior layout. When we bought our 1st TT years ago I never even noticed the CCC. It was all about the floor plan. Seasoned TT owners would see the low CCC and pass.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't owned an RV for the past 5 yrs. When I started looking again this year I had 20 units on my list. All were in the 21'-25' range. The lowest CCC, with the exception of the Grand Design 17xls was 1,311 lbs. The highest was 3,685 lbs. The 17xls just doesn't cut it. After walking through the xls it became my favorite. Then I looked at the CCC and had to cross it off my list.

I'm going to put a solar system on any trailer I buy, and that may be why I'm going to have more weight than average.

In any case, I think GD is limiting their market for this size trailer.

Korkoro

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ccc has increased some on the newer 17MLE (I believe no design change) per GD rep and is why some of the ccc are just under 1100 pounds (dry) instead of the mid 800's (if my memory is correct). There has also been an issue with GD getting the correct dry weights at the factory and the rep did not know what has caused this. One unit at Denver RV show was being reweighted and stickered after the show to make the correction.

This wetCCC is still too low for us to buy the unit because we sometimes carry water (when we have to) or more often do not camp were there or no dumps, so we must drive with a lot in the waste tanks.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast