1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cargo Carrying Capacity Varying Information, 17MKE

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	23444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	23445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	23446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	23447

I need the cargo carrying capacity (CCC) for 17MKE.

Attached are four tire and loading information yellow stickers with different CCC figures: 859, 753, 807 and 907 pounds. The UVW vary for each also. I would think that the weight from the factory would not include battery but would include propane tanks (filled?), spare tire and awning. Possibly the weights include fresh water?

Are there options could affect the weights?

If so what options are available?

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weights should be dry weights of units with no propane in tanks, (I think). Each trailer is weighed after finish build. My guess is maybe different options like ac or double windows or something like that, if these are all the same model. Or maybe extra wiring for some (hidden in walls)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting - your survey revealed actual UVWs ranging from 8% to 17% over the UVW advertised on Grand Design's website. If that number advertised on the website is really an average of all the units produced, I wonder where all the underweight units are to balance out all the overweight units that you found? Unfortunately your survey revealed actual CCCs just over half of what would be expected based on advertised figures.

In our 2018 edition of the Imagine Travel Trailer Owner's Manual CCC for US models is defined as GVWR minus UVW and LP gas weight. Based on that definition stuff like the battery and fresh water would use up part of the CCC. CCC for Canadian models is calculated a little differently. You can the find the latest version of the Imagine owner's manual at the Grand Design website:
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/sites/...al-Rev0519.pdf
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The manual states:
    • Your FRESH WATER is treated as CARGO WEIGHT.
    • Water weighs 8.3 lbs. per gallon; 50 gallons weighs over 417 lbs.
    • The weight of your full LP cylinders is already figured into your RV's Cargo Carrying Capacity.

The printed literature and GD site states UVW as 4456 pounds.
    So with full tank of fresh water there is not much CCC left. We like to add water once we are at the campground and dump before we leave but this is not always possible and we have to travel long distances to the dump.

Unless I am missing something most if not all 17MKE owners are travelling some distance over loaded if they fill the fresh water tank any time on the trip, including in the campground.

As a second check, does someone have measured trailer weights including the water that they use?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Canadian market units I’ve seen, the CCC sticker and the Vehicle Weight Information Sheet (VWIS) match. GDRV states the CCC and declares that fresh water is not subtracted. Water includes anything in the fresh tank and the 6 gallon hot water heat. The empty LP tanks are included in the UVW. In other words the GVWR-UVW-LP=CCC. IMO, this excludes a battery.

For my 2150RB: 6695-5600-40=1055, which is the sticker and VWIS numbers.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GDRV site for 2150RB shows UVW 5295 which is 5600-5295=305 pounds less CCC than your CCC and VWIS stickers. Isn't this 305/1055= 29% less CCC than one would expect when looking at the GDRV web data?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No question the GDRV site uses what they term “based on average’ which is always light - this creates the illusion of a greater CCC. On a 2450RL we looked at the UVW was shown as 5922#, the website shows 5791#. There are options that could affect the weight but in the case of the 2150RB, there are no options that could explain the 300# difference. The only thing that can be trusted is the sticker on the unit.
    Judy & Larry
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the factory numbers are with no options. Different options = different ccc. My concern is that any of the numbers the OP posted are pretty low. I have seen a few 17MKE's advertised with UVW around 4,800 lbs., which would make it much more reasonable.

KorKoro

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KORKORO View Post
    I believe the factory numbers are with no options. Different options = different ccc. My concern is that any of the numbers the OP posted are pretty low. I have seen a few 17MKE's advertised with UVW around 4,800 lbs., which would make it much more reasonable.

KorKoro
    Could you post photos of the yellow labels showing measured UVW as you mentioned and where you found the campers? I would like to see what options the camper has on them for a given weight. The photos that I posted above were photos from campers found on the web. I could not find any that had less weight.

Also, there is a real chance that some of the weight variation is caused by the factory measuring camper weight when there is still some water in the tanks. I did not try to fully get to the bottom of this because I gave up on purchasing the 17MKE because of the low wet CCC. This is based on the factory's supervisor (?) surprise with some of the weights on the stickers.

I recommend anyone purchasing a camper from any company to weigh it on the way home from delivery and now and then once the camper is loaded. Either fill the fresh tank with water or manually add the fresh water weight. Compare this total to the GVWR to determine the actual wCCC.
    Last edited by TimtheToolMan; 01-04-2020 at 06:20 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe blowing smoke, but it is my understanding that Grand Design sticker CCC is based on the GVWR-UVW- full propane load=CCC. Looking at one sticker, GVWR=5995; UVW=5202; CCC=753. GDRV uses 40 pounds for full LPG load. CCC=GVWR-UVW-40; 753=5995-5202-40. IMO, CCC is reduced by the weight of batteries.

GVWR is theoretical, based on axle capacity and design hitch weight. In the stickers you have pulled above, this is 5995 pounds in three cases, 5775 in another. Wonder if the 5775 was a typo at the weigh station? If it was entered incorrectly, that explains that unit’s high CCC, the 947 on the sticker is overstated by 200 pounds. If it was 747, it fits in closer to the others.

UVW is the total weight as the unit comes off the line. I think the UVW includes empty LPG tanks. GDRV issues a sheet that provides left side, right side and tongue weights. You need this vehicle weight sheet to really understand individual stickers.

Regardless, the meaningful CCC is at least 44 pounds less than sticker CCC. If you carry fresh water and grey or black waste, that would be subtracted from the meaningful CCC before you add person stuff and food. If you have 10 gallons of fresh (about 90 pounds) and maybe 3 or 4 gallons (30 pounds) of grey and black on board - nice to have something sloshing around in the tanks, the allowed maximum for personal stuff and food is about 553 pounds. 553=673-120.
    Last edited by Skiddy; 01-04-2020 at 10:40 AM.
    Judy & Larry

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast