User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pull our 295RL with our F150 ecoboost. Its awesome. I lock out 6th gear and run 65 mph. 2000 RPMs. Its very common for us to average 10.5-11 mpg. I added an extra leaf spring in the rear (Amazon) and installed F250 shocks in the rear (1 inch more travel at both ends of stroke) tows and rides like a dream.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manofslip View Post
    Hello,

First of all Congratulations.

So we went from a 34 foot travel trailer to a 290BH. I am currently towing with a F250 , 6.2L with a 3.73 rear 6.75 bed. In one word.....Awesome.
    livability, - We removed the table and put a recliner couch in its place. So much better to watch TV during those times weather does not cooperate outside. We do not miss the table. The bunk house is awesome. The kids have their own TV so no arguing over what to watch and you can close the door.
    use etc or issues concerns - No real concerns, love the storage, counter space, bath, bunks...
    towing? - So much better to tow this over the last travel trailer. No sway to speak of. I use the Turning point feature with a Husky 16K hitch using the custom Reese Wedge plate to lock the hitch. I have had this set up for a year now. The best mod for towability was the custom wedge plate.
    Fuel consumption, acceleration, control - Fuel consumption - I still might be in break in but the best I got was 9 mpg. Average 7 to 8mpg. I have a lot of hills between me and most of the campgrounds I go to. I can accelerate with little issue. The only time you will struggle is on those steep long grades. I am sure a diesel will out perform me but I am not full time and I am happy with the choice I made with the F250 gasser. There is a learning curve between a Travel Trailer and 5th wheel. It just takes time to account for making turns and backing up.

If you have questions, let me know.

Have a great day!
    I'm considering putting in some air bags for the fifth wheel to keep everything nice and level. How much squat do you find you get from your trailer? You're the one to ask since we'll have the exact same set ups.

Also, what hitch are you running in your truck?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine has/had an f150 with the ecoboost. Blew it up at 65000km from pulling his 10,000lbs trailer regularly. Ford said the a new engine is $20k. He scrapped it....they said it wasn't under warranty because it's not meant to tow full capacity at all times. He showed me the letter they sent from their legal dept that said that exactly. So I guess I'm trying to say is be careful.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamiltonian View Post
    A friend of mine has/had an f150 with the ecoboost. Blew it up at 65000km from pulling his 10,000lbs trailer regularly. Ford said the a new engine is $20k. He scrapped it....they said it wasn't under warranty because it's not meant to tow full capacity at all times. He showed me the letter they sent from their legal dept that said that exactly. So I guess I'm trying to say is be careful.
    No chance in hell that happened. Ford’s legal department sent no such letter, and you can get a crate Ecoboost for less that $7000 any day.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm considering putting in some air bags for the fifth wheel to keep everything nice and level. How much squat do you find you get from your trailer? You're the one to ask since we'll have the exact same set ups.

Also, what hitch are you running in your truck?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hitch setup.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	23488

Hello,

I am using a Husky 16K hitch with the Husky Ford Puck Adapter plate. There are a lot of options out there.

I have no plans for airbags. The truck does not squat like the F150 did. It barely touches the overload spring. The bigger problem is that the F-250 sits up so high that I needed to set the hitch as low as it would go. I still have 7 or 8 inches of gap between the bed and the bottom of the fifth wheel. I still have a slight nose up condition but after over 4000 miles towing I have not noticed any ill effects of this condition.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dan
    Dan
    F-250
    Reflection 150 Series 290BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manofslip View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hitch setup.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	23488

Hello,

I am using a Husky 16K hitch with the Husky Ford Puck Adapter plate. There are a lot of options out there.

I have no plans for airbags. The truck does not squat like the F150 did. It barely touches the overload spring. The bigger problem is that the F-250 sits up so high that I needed to set the hitch as low as it would go. I still have 7 or 8 inches of gap between the bed and the bottom of the fifth wheel. I still have a slight nose up condition but after over 4000 miles towing I have not noticed any ill effects of this condition.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dan
    That's the exact hitch the dealer is wanting to sell me. It seems a bit cheaper than some of the other options available, I'm wondering why?

Also, I dont need a slider, but would it be a good idea to get one just incase I'm ever asked to move a buddy's 5th wheel?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no way I’d buy a slider if I didn’t need it for my own trailer. They are too heavy.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the exact hitch the dealer is wanting to sell me. It seems a bit cheaper than some of the other options available, I'm wondering why? Also, I dont need a slider, but would it be a good idea to get one just incase I'm ever asked to move a buddy's 5th wheel?
    You'd be a helluva buddy if you did that. As the reluctant owner of a slider that for me with our setup is required, I am envious of those who don't have them.

Really heavy, expensive, greasy-dirty, very significantly reduces the usefulness of your truck bed, and occasionally twitchy to hook up. If you're going to take on all of that on spec for your friends, can I be one of your friends?!

Good luck with your choices.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the exact hitch the dealer is wanting to sell me. It seems a bit cheaper than some of the other options available, I'm wondering why?

Also, I dont need a slider, but would it be a good idea to get one just in case I'm ever asked to move a buddy's 5th wheel?
    Hello,

So far I am happy with this hitch. It is less expensive then some of the others. It seems to built well. Some others I have seen are not.

As far as a slider. Unless you are going to make tight turns for your buddy you would not need a slider. When you get into the RV game there is always so many things you can plan for or dream about. Bigger truck, bigger Camper, Better hitch, Better batteries, solar panels, outside grills/ griddles, etc etc etc.

Good luck and happy camping..
    Dan
    F-250
    Reflection 150 Series 290BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there everyone,

We currently own a Jayco Travel Trailer but are considering buying a 2020 Grand design Reflection 290BH.

First question does anyone have any experience with this trailer for livability, use etc or issues concerns?

Second and most importantly, this will be our first 5th wheel trailer, and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light how it will be to tow? Fuel consumption, acceleration, control etc etc.

I have a 2019 Ford F-250 with the 6.2L gas engine and 3.73 gears.

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    5th wheels tow much better than travel trailers, absolutely no comparison. The only concern you should always be mindful of is your height

Bean a Grand Design owner for 2plus years now, very satisfied, construction on my Reflection way ahead of my previous Forest River product
    Jimmy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast