User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LED strip lights for tail lights

I've read a lot of articles about converting stock tail lights to LED tail lights. I recently did a couple of projects with a strip of LED lights and had several feet left over. I'm curious as to if anyone has used these inside the stock tail light?

It would only require the removal of the lens, and attaching a row or two to the base, and then wiring to the 12v source. My only concern is how much current is available at the tail light. Even though the current draw on LED's is small, enough of them could be more than the source fuse could take.

This "roll your own" approach would be a lot less expensive and allow you to place as much LED lighting as you desire in the tail light (again within the current limitation of the tow vehicle).

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I've read a lot of articles about converting stock tail lights to LED tail lights. I recently did a couple of projects with a strip of LED lights and had several feet left over. I'm curious as to if anyone has used these inside the stock tail light?

It would only require the removal of the lens, and attaching a row or two to the base, and then wiring to the 12v source. My only concern is how much current is available at the tail light. Even though the current draw on LED's is small, enough of them could be more than the source fuse could take.

This "roll your own" approach would be a lot less expensive and allow you to place as much LED lighting as you desire in the tail light (again within the current limitation of the tow vehicle).
    Having worked with the LED strip lights, I would stay away from that solution. First, because they are not DOT approved, if anybody ever rear ended you they could blame you because your lights were not bright enough (or even argue they were too bright) you loose either way. Secondly, you can buy some great LED trailer lights for less than $100 a pair. I just bought a pair of Bargman LED lights for $75 ( I choose a double rectangle LED Stop, Turn, Taillight set).

Here is a link to the ones I bought:

https://www.towuniverse.com/trailer/...Base-47-85-611
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 11-13-2019 at 09:11 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never thought about DOT approved. Are the Bargman LED's Dot approved? Would the approval be stamped on the tail light assembly?

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never thought about DOT approved. Are the Bargman LED's Dot approved? Would the approval be stamped on the tail light assembly?
    The DOT approval is molded into the lens. Yes the Bargman lights are DOT certified.

If you are interested, I added an LED Flasher module to one of the brake lights on each side which causes the light to "Quick" flash 4 or 5 times before going solid red when you stop and causes the two LED lights to flash at different rates when you have your turn signal on. This also creates quite the light show whenever you use your emergency flashers, from a distance it looks like you are a cop.

Flasher modules:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I MUST have the flasher module! Very cool. Where did you mount them? Behind the light assembly in the trailer wall?

I think I will go with the Bargman lights instead of homemade. Did you look at any tail light assemblies that were exactly same size physically as the stock ones, so you could use same mounting screw holes? I did that on my previous trailer.

However, on a separate note, I am going to fabricate a small bumper to go into the hitch receiver on the back of my 5th wheel. Since this is the first trailer I've ever had without a bumper, I want something small just to prevent someone rolling into me at a stoplight. I am going to use the 4 pin trailer light connector next to the receiver to add a couple of small lights to the bumper assembly. You can't have too many lights!

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I MUST have the flasher module! Very cool. Where did you mount them? Behind the light assembly in the trailer wall?

I think I will go with the Bargman lights instead of homemade. Did you look at any tail light assemblies that were exactly same size physically as the stock ones, so you could use same mounting screw holes? I did that on my previous trailer.

However, on a separate note, I am going to fabricate a small bumper to go into the hitch receiver on the back of my 5th wheel. Since this is the first trailer I've ever had without a bumper, I want something small just to prevent someone rolling into me at a stoplight. I am going to use the 4 pin trailer light connector next to the receiver to add a couple of small lights to the bumper assembly. You can't have too many lights!
    I chose the Bargman LED lights because the lights Grand design puts on these trailers are WAY TOO SMALL! I wanted more light on the rear of the trailer.

If you buy the flashers I posted a link to, they will fit behind the Bargman lights nicely. The Bargman lights are large enough to cover the mounting holes of the existing lights.

As far as mounting the Bargman LEDs, I simply replaced the existing lights and covered the holes with the new lights (the Bargman LEDs are surface mount and you can use the existing wires).

Install note: place Butyl tape around the entire edge of the Bargman LED light before installing the light to ensure waterproofing (I use two layers of Butyl tape on mine).

As far as a bumper goes, there are several hitches that you can buy that simply slide into the receiver that can provide a "bumper like" surface for cars to hit instead of the fiberglass, many of them also come with light kits already installed.

Here is an example:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-step?a=255687
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 11-14-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice bumper, but I want to build my own. I want it a little wider and with a couple of short vertical pieces. I'll then mount a commercial LED light strip to it.

Since the Bargman LED 's are large and require different mounting holes, you are pretty well committing to them or if removed you will end up with additional holes in your trailer. I'll bet the light show is fantastic. I assume there are no states that have laws against the flashing prior to brake lights?

On my previous trailer I used these:

http://www.commandelectronics.com/sh...ed-tail-lights

Actually at the time they sold an LED conversion for stock tail lights. They worked fine.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice bumper, but I want to build my own. I want it a little wider and with a couple of short vertical pieces. I'll then mount a commercial LED light strip to it.

Since the Bargman LED 's are large and require different mounting holes, you are pretty well committing to them or if removed you will end up with additional holes in your trailer. I'll bet the light show is fantastic. I assume there are no states that have laws against the flashing prior to brake lights?

On my previous trailer I used these:

http://www.commandelectronics.com/sh...ed-tail-lights

Actually at the time they sold an LED conversion for stock tail lights. They worked fine.
    If you take notice, a lot of new cars have a flashing third brake light as standard.

The key to these flashers is that they only flash for 4-5 seconds and then go to solid red when braking, when using the turn signals, the 4-5 seconds keep resetting (because of the turn signal flash), this results in one of the lights flashing at normal speed, and the other light doing a "Quick" flash. Very, Very Attention Getting!!!

The key to making this happen, is to only wire the flasher to one of the two brake lights (on the Bargman LED) and wire the other one straight from the truck (you will need one flasher for each side of the camper).
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand the wiring. Good idea. I noticed on my previous trailer that when I converted to LED's I started getting a lot more help from folks when I needed to change lanes. I honestly don't think they can see the incandescent bulbs.

When you installed the Bargmans did the new mounting screws find something pretty solid or did you just gently screw them in and count on the butyl tape to hold them on?

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand the wiring. Good idea. I noticed on my previous trailer that when I converted to LED's I started getting a lot more help from folks when I needed to change lanes. I honestly don't think they can see the incandescent bulbs.

When you installed the Bargmans did the new mounting screws find something pretty solid or did you just gently screw them in and count on the butyl tape to hold them on?
    You'll want to pre-drill your holes, but the skin of the camper provides enough purchase for your screws, just don't over tighten the screws.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast