Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The finish coming off

The finish on my cabinet doors and my drawers is peeling off. The peeling is at the edge of the drawers, not behind the handle. Just wondering if anyone else has this happening.
    Pat and Bill with Kaycee the Shar-Pei Hound and Abby the Shar-Pei Beagle in our hearts.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 295RL
    2023 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3 Godzilla 3.73 locking axle
    Andersen Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have pics ? I thought the drawer fronts and cabinet doors were supposed to be real wood, shouldn't be peeling. We have had the finish come off on the sponge when cleaning on the island. I put a seal coat of a bees wax mix on it and it stopped.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did say peeling but it's more like when you are cleaning them the finish around the edges starts to come off. Can't figure out how to add pictures.
    Pat and Bill with Kaycee the Shar-Pei Hound and Abby the Shar-Pei Beagle in our hearts.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 295RL
    2023 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3 Godzilla 3.73 locking axle
    Andersen Hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles01 View Post
    I did say peeling but it's more like when you are cleaning them the finish around the edges starts to come off. Can't figure out how to add pictures.
    Do you mean the stain is coming off when you wipe it? That happened to us on the interior of the cabinet doors in our island. It seems GD failed to seal that part of the doors.

There have been reports from others saying that the stain was coming off on various other stained wood surfaces.

We just got some varathane and sealed the unsealed portion of the doors and we're good to go.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I know what you're referring to. Seems some of the edge profile of the doors and drawers has a buildup of stain. Not absorbed into the grain, just solidified there. Staining 101 teaches to never let this happen when you're doing it properly... Our Solitude has this happening on the drawer fronts and doors on the coffee bar base cabinet as the solidified stain is almost a 1/16" thick! A spot here or there chipper off, which then started it to peel. Both drawer fronts and doors are being sent to me to replace. Have a couple more I'm keeping an eye on, but can't get them replaced till it happens.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. The sliding door into the bathroom on my 29rs. The door is starting to peel apart with the laminate. I think the position of the door right above the heat vent needed more thought. Luckily I am still on warranty so its getting replaced.
    Andrew
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 29RS
    2018 Ram 3500 6.7L
    18k Demco Autoslide Hitch.