User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F350 SRW new tire recommendations.

I am sorry if this was already discussed but I did not come across it in my search. I have stock Michelin LTX M/S 2 17” tires on my 2018 truck. They already look worn after 30k miles and I will need to replace them before we set out this coming summer. We stay in Florida for winter and travel with a 303 about 5-8k miles in the summer and fall we are fulltime.

One thing I will add is Timbrens. My stock bumper stops are not holding up either. Rough roads tend to bottom out suspension and back tires and bumper stops are paying the price. Other than that, ride is perfectly level and we are within payload capacity on truck.

Here is what I am looking for in a tire. Quiet on highway when towing, good mileage, able to take on our occasional off the beaten path explorations after we set up camp. Gravel, sand, forest roads basically. No rock crawling or serious off road stuff. Just trying to find the fishing holes and photo ops.
    Last edited by Beachcamper; 11-08-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2017 F350 came stock with 20in Michelin LTX A/T2's. Was very happy with them. Traded the truck in September with 30K mi and tires barely looked worn.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    My 2017 F350 came stock with 20in Michelin LTX A/T2's. Was very happy with them. Traded the truck in September with 30K mi and tires barely looked worn.
    Ditto, our 2016 F350 SRW came with 20" LTX A/T2s as well, we got 70K out of them with 4/32 left, purchased the same tires last summer from Discount Tire and we are very happy with them. I know our avatar shows our 2019 dually, have two F350s. We like Ford, what can I say
    Last edited by moenoodle; 11-14-2019 at 06:53 AM.
    Brian and Susan
    2019 F-350 Dually
    2019 GD 310GK

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been discussed a number of times, but here's my input: The OEM General Grabbers that came on our truck performed extremely well, were quiet, and never had any problems. They had most of their tread left when I replaced them because they were aging out. I then put Michelin Defenders on. They are doing very well, too - although they tend to pick up small stones out of campgrounds and off gravel roads a bit more than the Generals did... probably due to a slightly more open tread. They are quiet and have a good grip on the road.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my RAM 3500.

Work well off road and quiet on road.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are the Michelin M/S2 and now at Tire Kingdom for an assessment. They said it happens with towing when truck goes over rough roads and lifts front making wear on outside tires “normal”. So I asked them what tires to get because it’s getting expensive buying tires every 30k miles!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 on the Defenders

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcamper View Post
    Mine are the Michelin M/S2 and now at Tire Kingdom for an assessment. They said it happens with towing when truck goes over rough roads and lifts front making wear on outside tires “normal”. So I asked them what tires to get because it’s getting expensive buying tires every 30k miles!
    Beachcamper, I feel your pain as far as replacing tires at low mileage because of edge wear. My suggestion is to find a quality alignment shop to deal with this issue. The edge wear is not the tire brand, but is a direct result of your current alignment not being suitable for your operating conditions. What Tire Kingdom may be telling you is that when you are pulling your fifth wheel, your toe may be changing and causing the edge wear. A seasoned alignment technician will be able to fine tune toe and camber settings on your Ford to equalize wear across the entire tread. With our Dodge Ram, I have run Cooper Discover AT3's LRE for two sets and they have delivered at least the 55.000 miles they are guaranteed for with even tread wear. If your truck is a 4 wheel drive, your front suspension is very similar to mine. I have been well served with Air Lifts on the rear axle with an on board compressor. They may also keep your ride height at a point where front toe change would be minimal. Please let us know of your results.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had alignment checked when in Indiana last August as soon as I started noticing the edge wear. Alignment done at ford dealer it was perfect and I showed that to them. I rotate tires at 5000 miles with oil change.

Will be adding Timbrens before our trip this May. Maybe that will help on rough roads.

Tire Kingdom and Michelin both agreed to a new set of Michelin Defenders at a very good discount $504 for all 4 with install.etc. They are much thicker than the M/S 2 tires which are being phased out. I will try these and hope they hold for more than 30k miles

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcamper View Post
    I had alignment checked when in Indiana last August as soon as I started noticing the edge wear. Alignment done at ford dealer it was perfect and I showed that to them. I rotate tires at 5000 miles with oil change.

Will be adding Timbrens before our trip this May. Maybe that will help on rough roads.

Tire Kingdom and Michelin both agreed to a new set of Michelin Defenders at a very good discount $504 for all 4 with install.etc. They are much thicker than the M/S 2 tires which are being phased out. I will try these and hope they hold for more than 30k miles
    Is your Ford 2 or 4 wheel drive? I'm glad you had the alignment checked, but the point I am trying to make is that alignment changes when you are towing, more with 2 wheel drive than four wheel drive. Dealerships can give you a printout and results that will be fine for a non-towing truck. I would hope there is an alignment shop in your area that can listen to your input, and perform a custom alignment to address your issue. IMHO Air Lifts or similar will do a better job stabilizing your truck from pitching for and aft on rough roads and minimize alignment changes. Best wishes to you in moving forward. I worked for Hunter Engineering (alignment systems) for about 15 years and worked on vehicle suspension systems for at least another 15.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast