User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this normal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did. I found some cracking in the caulk around the “gutter”. I globed some sealant in there to the best of my ability but I’m unsure if I’ve gotten it all. It’s missing outside so we’ll see. The sealant is very stringy and a pain to deal with. I’ve found that dipping your finger in water first helps it not stick to you so much. I’ll update with what I discover.
    2015 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab Short Bed
    2019 Solitude 3350RL

Me, my wife (early 30’s), a dog, and a cat.
    Instagram: StillCamping

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StillCamping View Post
    I did. I found some cracking in the caulk around the “gutter”. I globed some sealant in there to the best of my ability but I’m unsure if I’ve gotten it all. It’s missing outside so we’ll see. The sealant is very stringy and a pain to deal with. I’ve found that dipping your finger in water first helps it not stick to you so much. I’ll update with what I discover.
    Lol! Yeah, it is stringy, and that's the location that's always the problem! Too many things come together there. Some gasketing material, neoprene, SBR or such so needs to be standard when setting these caps. Unfortunately, it is not!

The way I have sealed such, after much trial and fail, was to take a stainless steel brining needle and put that into the caulk tube tip and through the foil seal. I then taped it in place with wraps of electrical tape. The needle length and gauge let me poke into that crack and pump it full of sealant. Take the needle out and finish the smear job. HTH!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Lol! Yeah, it is stringy, and that's the location that's always the problem! Too many things come together there. Some gasketing material, neoprene, SBR or such so needs to be standard when setting these caps. Unfortunately, it is not!

The way I have sealed such, after much trial and fail, was to take a stainless steel brining needle and put that into the caulk tube tip and through the foil seal. I then taped it in place with wraps of electrical tape. The needle length and gauge let me poke into that crack and pump it full of sealant. Take the needle out and finish the smear job. HTH!
    GENIUS! I’ll be looking into that!
    2015 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab Short Bed
    2019 Solitude 3350RL

Me, my wife (early 30’s), a dog, and a cat.
    Instagram: StillCamping

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same issue on our 2930RL. Removed the plastic trim from the rail and found that some of the screws had not gone thru the inner panel. I tightened them up and resealed, no further issues.
    Steve and Connie Mitchell
    Lodi, California
    2020 Solitude S Class 2930RL
    2017 Ram 3500 Crew Cab SRW Cummins
    Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get some 4" eternabond tape, clean of the old caulk and put the tape down with pressure. To be really sure run some self leveling dicor along the edges of the tape. You'll be good for years...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12