Views:	248 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	23465

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2 (2).jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	23466

The above pictures are from under my front cap. When we first got our fifth wheel (19 solitude s class 3350RL) I noticed a gap in the caulk around the weather striping shown above. I re-caulked it and all has been fine until recently. It would appear that water has gotten behind it and froze, separating the caulk again. There is also open space above my pin box. (Also shown above) does everyone else have this gap? or should there be something there? I'm hoping that water isn't leaking in behind my front cap. Maybe condensation getting into the space between the wall and the front cap and draining out the bottom? Is the cap literally part of the wall construction? or just a show piece that goes on in addition to the actual wall? I appreciate any insight. Hopefully I don't have a leak.. The closet is behind the cap and there is no indication of a leak. Wall/floor isn't wet. It hasn't been raining, just snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image1 (3).jpeg  
    2015 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab Short Bed
    2019 Solitude 3350RL

Me, my wife (early 30’s), a dog, and a cat.
    Instagram: StillCamping

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna check those links now. Thank you, my search skills need some work..
    2019 Solitude 3350RL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	D655568A-9FFD-4A2E-BA38-099D817A7657.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	23509

Name:	64B5563A-2DEB-4292-9CAF-A91552642586.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	23510

I checked the roof and didn’t find much. I even sealed areas that prolly didn’t need it. This is definitely wrong right!? I guess I’ll check the led light strips once more but damn.. this is no good. It hasn’t even been raining. Just some snow here and there. Any ideas?

EDIT:: now that my panic has had a chance to die down a little bit I’ll try to elaborate. Sorry, Roof leaks are my crypto night.

Both times I’ve noticed the water/ice it hasn’t been raining. Light to moderate snow. Last night was pretty light. It’s been cold, like 0-25 degrees cold. We have a space heater in the bedroom closet pointing out towards the bedroom (which is all on the other side of the cap). Perhaps it’s just really bad condensation. I’ll try moving that space heater out into the hall and check the led light strip. Not sure what else to do at this point. That weather stripping underneath was “compromised” when we bought the unit. I pulled the weatherstripping back and found some broken screws. I extracted them, replaced the screws, and recaulked the seam. It would appear it has separated again.
    Last edited by StillCamping; 11-14-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lippert has had issues with 5th wheel frames/pin box welds cracking. If that happens, this may be an early indication of potentially worse problem if not addressed. I wouild check with Grand Design and/or Lippert.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2013 Chevrolet Duramax

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you clarify the connection between the frame/pin box and my potential water issue? Not meaning to sound rude at all , I just don’t know a better way to word it. lol. I appreciate any insight so thanks for the response.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A crack in the front area of the frame can cause excessive flex when towing that can cause separation of the joints, causing caulk separation. Can also cause separation of the cap at the roof line. I hope this is NOT your problem. I had issue with Forest River product last year where cap separated at roof line and similar caulk separation. Traded it in for 33lrls.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2013 Chevrolet Duramax

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hard to tell in the pictures - how far into the gap does the ice extend? Water can be tricky. It may just be snow melt running down the face of the cap, curling under, and finally finding a "drip edge" at the gap. In which case, the root of the icicles will just be barely in the gap, if at all. A sunny day, even in pretty cold weather can heat the outside enough to make the snow melt. Then the water hits the colder/shaded underside and freezes, making the icicles. How long since the first pic's did it take the icicles to form? It appears to be a fair bit of water - more than condensation would account for, unless it has been a pretty long time. But snow melt from the outside would be enough. Find a time when the icicles are dripping, even a little, and use kleenex/paper towels to blot the possible path from the underside and up the outside skin - wet spots will tell the tale about whether it is coming from the roof and down the outside or not. If all snow is already gone, and everything is dry on the outside and roof, and the icicles are still growing, then you'll have to fret about an interior cause.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gap is only that big due to water freezing and expanding it. Otherwise it’s not that big. I’m HOPING that condensation leaked down and then froze, expanding the joint, which then allowed water dripping from the molding to follow and accumulate in the newly formed joint. I’ll have to keep an eye on it.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you get up on the roof and look at the seal between the roofing and front cap? Before the Solitude, we had a Heritage Glen with front cap. I had to reseal the joint every single year, or water would run down behind it and out the bottom. It's a common issue with the fiberglass caps since they expand and contract differently. I'll be on the roof this week now checking our 2020 3350RL after this post!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast