User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Seahawks! View Post
    This is exactly the information I’m looking for. Thanks everyone for taking the time. The phrase “moving earthquake “ had me laughing! Floor plan and dealer, got it and makes perfect sense. We’ve just started looking but are fortunate to live in an area with several brands available. Interesting that Jayco is mentioned; that’s the other brand we are most interested in at the moment as we continue to look and research options. We don’t want to be doing this again in a couple years!
    Actually, after our Jayco was totaled (water problems from a tree branch), we put money down on a new Jayco. Then went to the local RV show and saw the Grand Design 2670 MK. Lots of thought out details (ie - no vents in the floor for dirt!, etc.), better layout, much more storage, etc. that tipped the balance.
    My Jayco was pre-Thor buyout. Lots of opinions as to whether that hurt the quality or not. But same goes for Grand Design - they were bought by Winnebago a couple of years ago, and some bash the brand as therefore not being as good anymore. I've seen no indication that there is any truth to that at all.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had a 2670 (2020 model) for about six months and just got back from an outing here in southern Idaho. This was the coolest weather we've "camped" in so far with highs in the mid-50's and lows in the mid to high 20's. So...not too warm and not too cold. One thing we never thought to check prior to purchase was the noise level created by the heater. For both better and worse, the heater on the 2670 is located near the bathroom and bedroom. I wouldn't buy a 2670 without checking out the noise level. I think it's pretty obnoxious but that's also very subjective. On a positive note, the floorplan of the 2670 pegged the awesome meter for us (empty nesters).

FWIW, since you are a Seahawks fan, I'm thinking that perhaps you live in the western US. In addition to the GD products, I'd check-out the products of Northwood Mfg (Arctic Fox, Desert Fox, Wolf Creek, Nash, etc). I would say their "fit and finish" and thoughtful design is ahead of any other RV we've personally inspected (we also own a Wolf Creek slide-in camper- We didn't buy another Northwood product because of the local dealer's rep and our own experiences that confirmed that rep). Good luck to you in your search!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazdad View Post
    We've had a 2670 (2020 model) for about six months and just got back from an outing here in southern Idaho. This was the coolest weather we've "camped" in so far with highs in the mid-50's and lows in the mid to high 20's. So...not too warm and not too cold. One thing we never thought to check prior to purchase was the noise level created by the heater. For both better and worse, the heater on the 2670 is located near the bathroom and bedroom. I wouldn't buy a 2670 without checking out the noise level. I think it's pretty obnoxious but that's also very subjective. On a positive note, the floorplan of the 2670 pegged the awesome meter for us (empty nesters).

FWIW, since you are a Seahawks fan, I'm thinking that perhaps you live in the western US. In addition to the GD products, I'd check-out the products of Northwood Mfg (Arctic Fox, Desert Fox, Wolf Creek, Nash, etc). I would say their "fit and finish" and thoughtful design is ahead of any other RV we've personally inspected (we also own a Wolf Creek slide-in camper- We didn't buy another Northwood product because of the local dealer's rep and our own experiences that confirmed that rep). Good luck to you in your search!
    We live in Anacortes, WA about 90 miles north of Seattle. Born and raised in Idaho. Still have ties to the Magic Valley (Twin Falls).

Northwood products are appealing but there aren’t any dealers near us. Really appreciate the heads-up on the furnace noise. We’ll definitely check that out on not just the GD but all that we seriously consider.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a few minor issues on our 2017 Imagine 2650 but they were resolved. After spending 5 months full time in it this summer we had one problem - a broken vent crank - easily fixed with a $15 Amazon part. Previously we had a Starcraft (good) and Heartland (mediocre). Yeah, I'd buy another GD in a heartbeat.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Also have a 2970RL. Great trailer. When we purchased the trailer we owned a 2017 f-150 eco-boost with the max tow package. the f-150 we owned was rated to pull 10,700 lbs., way over our gvwr on our trailer. The problem is the paylaod and class 4 receiver hitch were both over on weight. We knew going in we would more than likely be purchasing a 3/4 ton truck. Now own a 2019 f-250 6.2 gas. Pulls the 2970rl great. Word of caution--I know the 1/2 tons will pull the weight but watch the payload and hitch capacities. Law suites are becoming more common on overweight towing. Insurance companies won't cover these law suites because you are the one overloading the vehicle. We decided purchasing a very capable tow vehicle was worth the option of a million dollar law suite because we were involved in an accident--our fault or not. We are very happy with our decision on purchasing a Grand Design product. We looked for months and think we found the perfect trailer for us. Love the floor plan and build quality.
    Last edited by bmbl-bee; 11-14-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO the 2670MK is a 3/4 ton truck trailer. The 2500RL might be 1/2 ton towable, depending on the truck. My F150 has payload of about 1350# (1392 on the sticker and 40# of tonneau cover) which with our close to 800# hitch and 450# in the cab, and 100# in the box pretty much taps the truck out. For the 2500RL, unloaded from the factory hitch weight is close to 600#, add around 40# for LPG and 40# for a single battery (80# if you go dual 6v) and with a hitch included you have already added 750# to the truck bumper. For every 10#s in the stowage and bedroom closet you add another 7# to the hitch. As you can see with 300# in the stowage and closets, you are pushing 1000#. Check the payload of the truck to be safe. The F150 will pull like crazy, it is getting that sweet spot 12% of loaded trailer weight on the hitch to avoid sway that you are looking for.
    Given we are in your area, My 150 has pulled both ways over Routes 20, 2, 12 and I90 with no issues. Westbound on I90 coming down into North Bend the truck engine braking is almost non-existent. Cross winds over the Columbia and on I5 near Castle Rock does provide some white knuckle travel. I can’t imagine the 2670MK behind a F150.

EDIT - BTW there is a dealer just south of Mt Vernon. We stopped there last year to see if they had the new Pebble interior. It was a slow day and the sales guy shared a coffee and some chit chat. He seemed to know what he was talking about. Our trailer was over at Sedro Woolley Riverfront Park so he didn’t know what we had. His view was that virtually all GDRV TTS that have more than 3500# axles should be pulled with a 3/4 ton truck.
    Last edited by Skiddy; 11-14-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Seahawks! View Post
    My wife and I are getting out of boating and back into camping. We‘ve started looking at and researching brand and models that are half-ton towable (Ford F-150 Ecoboost). There are a TON of options to consider. Budget is of course important but we are not afraid of paying more for a premium product IF the value is there. Our plans are to use the trailer several times a year for a week or two at a time, so we need/want something that stands up to use. We looked at the Grand Design 2500RL and 2670MK models. GD seems to be a well-built product but like most anything you find a mix of good and bad reviews online. I’m looking here for any frank and honest feedback. What do you like about the brand/model you have? What don’t you like? What would you change? Problems? Customer service? Warranty responsiveness and willingness to take ownership of problems? Perception of value compared to other “premium” brands? Etc., etc. TIA!

Not to discourage you but I had a F150 Ecoboost 2018 and bought the GD 2670 MK it took the first trip out with the trailer to realize that it was too much trailer for the truck i was white knuckling it every time I took it out. I personally feel that Ford over rates this truck . I could have put in an xtra leaf spring different tires and etc. I decided to go with the 250 instead and without making any adjustments to the hitch it towed like night and day compared to the 150 i had it up to 70 MPH with no sway and it felt comfortable not that i would keep it there . I let transports pass me and I passed them with no issues or sway. I am happy with my decision and happy with the 2670 its a great trailer I just wanted to put my two cents in and give you something to think about. Wish you the best of luck and happy travels with whatever your decision.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kenc1325, I really appreciate yours and all other thoughts and opinions. They are more informed than my own at this point. No discouragement, I’d much rather learn now than after plunking down a wad of dough. Every thing I’m hearing is being taken into consideration. Thanks for your input!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve done the research on my truck to know it’s payload and tow capacity. By the numbers it’s capable of towing the 2670 BUT the real-life experiences being discussed here add the elements that the numbers don’t tell. I was already wondering about sway. It seems from what I am hearing here that the F-150’s lighter suspension isn’t able to adequately counter those affects without modification, at least if the plan is pull the trailer some distance over varied terrain. Great. Now I’m starting to consider a 3/4 ton... sigh...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of thoughts and big$$$$ to think about. A few years ago I noticed the “half ton towable” come into the rv market because they’re the most sold vehicles. I laughed because they won’t tell you if they are half ton stoppable!. Your going to spend a lot of time in the rig, make it as easy on yourself as you can.

Go,hawks
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast