User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shopped for floor plan and size, GD met both of those for us. I also wanted a 4 season RV since we live in the PNW. Just remember stuff breaks and GD is buying the same pieces/parts from the same parts house like all manufacturers do. There are many people in this forum who can/will give us all great information and mods.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just traded in a 2017 Rockwood Roo 23ikss expandable. I tow with a 2015 F150 EcoBoost,1700lb payload. Fought sway even on that trailer. I bought a Hensley hitch. End of problem. Today I picked up a 2018 2670MK, dealer sold on consignment, everything was included. Towed it home with the Husky hitch on it. Tomorrow that hitch comes off and my Hensley goes on. I have enough payload, and more than enough power. Just a suggestion....before buying a 3/4 ton, consider a Hensley or a ProPride. Yeah they are expensive, but a lot less expensive than a new truck.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s great information to consider Misterpiano. What type of terrain do you tow? I’m looking at going over a lot of Western passes as well as anticipate the possibility of some moderate winds.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Massachusetts, and regularly camp in Vermont and New Hampshire. We have some 4-5 degree inclines, I am sure nothing like the Rockies! When I installed the Hensley the first trip I took was up to Vermont and we had some pretty blustery weather, winds 20-40 mph. The hitch did not allow any sway.

This weekend is pretty cold here in the northeast, but after I picked up the trailer (Imagine 2670MK) on Friday I was able to get it home and installed a hardwired Progressive Industries EMS 50 amp system. Yesterday we got all our stuff loaded back in, and I removed the Husky hitch and installed the Hensley. Today when it warms up a little more I will be taking it out for a test drive to make sure everything is OK, then put the trailer to bed in the back yard until spring.

Tonight if I have time I will post again with how it handles with the Hensley hitch. I also have a Shurline tongue weight scale, and I will let you know the actual hitch weight, 2 batteries, 2 full propane tanks, and all the usual gear in the storage compartment. The Hensley stays on the camper so that will add about 70 lbs, but then again with a regular WD hitch that comes off your payload as well, so that evens that out.

I had taken the Roo to a CAT scale, and had about another 230 lbs of payload with the trailer on, the Roo hitch weight on the Shurline scale with propane and 2 batteries and the Hensley was 900 lbs. So if the Imagine is 1130 lbs or below I am still within payload limits for the F150. The specs for the ROO said 688 TW, the specs for the Imagine say 642. We'll see!
    Last edited by Misterpiano; 11-17-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterpiano View Post
    I just traded in a 2017 Rockwood Roo 23ikss expandable. I tow with a 2015 F150 EcoBoost,1700lb payload. Fought sway even on that trailer. I bought a Hensley hitch. End of problem. Today I picked up a 2018 2670MK, dealer sold on consignment, everything was included. Towed it home with the Husky hitch on it. Tomorrow that hitch comes off and my Hensley goes on. I have enough payload, and more than enough power. Just a suggestion....before buying a 3/4 ton, consider a Hensley or a ProPride. Yeah they are expensive, but a lot less expensive than a new truck.
    This! I went with ProPride because Hensley didn't respond to my inquiries. My 2012 GMC Sierra with max towing has 1800 lbs of payload. Expensive but a keeper. I see it as an investment in stress free towing.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I was able to take a test drive with the Hensley installed. Tows great, strait as an arrow, absolutely no sway. Did the highway for a while at 75mph, couldn't do that with either the Blue Ox or the Husky without the tail waggin'. The truck has more than enough power for the job, but I would not get any trailer any bigger.

The tongue weight with the Hensley installed and the trailer loaded up was about 1175, (about 13.8%). I took fender wheel well measurements, and tightened up the bars to get the front down to where it is unhooked, and the back squats about an inch, then took the drive. It handled OK, and the ride was pretty good. Unfortunately I did not have time to take a ride out the the CAT scales (about 2 1/2 hrs round trip). I put the trailer to bed in the back yard, as soon as I take it out in the spring I will go the scales. I think I will be at max payload for the truck, but I will find that out when I get there.

I went with the Hensley instead of the Propride because they offered 12 month equal payments, no credit check...just 12 payments put onto your credit card. Plus no question return if you change your mind in 90 days. Also lifetime warranty to the original owner. Both hitches do the same thing, the mounting is a little different. The trailer pivot point is projected 52" forward, which would be about where the rear axle is, so the trailer acts more like a fifth wheel. The linkage allows the truck to initiate turns, but the trailer cannot.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll get about 5 pages of replies - pro and con. In the end:

1. GDRV is about the same as all the other production line manufacturers in terms of build quality.
    2. They all use the same components - mostly LCI.
    3. It's all about making money. For ALL the RV manufacturers. GDRV is no exception.

As others have said, pick which floor plan serves you the best, and put your money on either red or black on the roulette wheel of RV purchasing. Best of luck with your search.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info in this thread and I won't add anything else other than I believe Grand Design is definitely above the mid-point of travel trailer manufacturers in design and construction. We came from a KZ purchased from a dealer than also sells Jayco and other than the Jayco White Hawk line nothing that dealer carried could touch the Grand Design we ended up buying. There are just certain areas that the Jayco falls short (cabinetry interior walls, HVAC vent locations, woefully small basement/pass through storage to name a few) which is why we went with the Imagine 2400BH.

The real reason I'm even here commenting on this thread...

When I read the title ("Looking for Frank Feedback") my first smart-aleck thought was,

"When you find him be sure to let us know..."

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Bob
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS, RV Airflow, MicroAir EasyStart, MaxxAir Fan
    2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn EcoDiesel CC short bed
    Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope to see you joining the GD family! The 2670MK might be a stretch for a half ton. We have a 2500RL and our half ton is about at payload capacity (not towing capacity). They are more tongue heavy than GD says (our 2500RL is just over 1000lbs, with no battery, no water, 2 20gal tanks and a moderate load of camp chairs, tables, hoses, tools, etc in the passthrough).

The construction is a little better, using more aluminum framing and foam core than sticks and insulation like cheaper brands. Warranty and service are excellent, but your dealer matters here too. Appliances/axles/stabilizers/windows/doors/recliners are the same in all--I'd say an average of only two different manufacturers of most of them. GD generally seems to pick the better rated appliance when they have a choice. I think GD also shines at their floorplans/design usability and decorating too.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a lot of consideration of everything I’ve heard and learned on this board one of the most valuable has been the discussion on weights and tow vehicle. Misterpiano’s breakdown on the importance of a sway-eliminating hitch induced me to research both Hensley and ProPride. In the end, I wasn’t comfortable with the thought of towing close to 8000# for long distances behind my F-150 with a 7000# GVWR rating and less than 2000# payload. Could it do it? Absolutely. But it would be too close to the truck’s rated payload for my peace of mind. Soooo... we are welcoming a new 2019 F-350 Lariat to the stable. 11500# GVWR and 3950# payload. It also has anti-sway and a towing technology package that includes adaptive steering, ultimate tow camera system and lane-keeping alert. No longer are we restricted to looking at the Imagine series! We (actually I, my wife would go bigger) want to keep the coach length around 30’ but haven’t started looking at other GD series yet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast