User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for Frank Feedback

My wife and I are getting out of boating and back into camping. We‘ve started looking at and researching brand and models that are half-ton towable (Ford F-150 Ecoboost). There are a TON of options to consider. Budget is of course important but we are not afraid of paying more for a premium product IF the value is there. Our plans are to use the trailer several times a year for a week or two at a time, so we need/want something that stands up to use. We looked at the Grand Design 2500RL and 2670MK models. GD seems to be a well-built product but like most anything you find a mix of good and bad reviews online. I’m looking here for any frank and honest feedback. What do you like about the brand/model you have? What don’t you like? What would you change? Problems? Customer service? Warranty responsiveness and willingness to take ownership of problems? Perception of value compared to other “premium” brands? Etc., etc. TIA!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No matter what brand of rv you buy you will in time find issues that need attention. Grand Design has always responded to my concerns via email in less than a day. You will not find that in another manufacturer, for this reason I have purchased a second Grand Design product. In my opinion, as long as they continue to stand behind their product and are responsive to my concerns/issues I will continue to own a Grand Design product.
    Dan, Marcia, Emilee, Tanner, Zac
    2020 Chevy 3500 HD Crew 6.6L Duramax
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the search function (top right). You will find tons of information to read.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been my experience that the GD is put together the same way as most other RVs. Same wiring;, same appliances; same water heaters, furnaces A/C units; roofing materials; etc. Sure - some changes in insulation value, pywood/MSD panels, and such. But overall they build them with semi-skilled labor as quickly as they can and trying to save a nickel at every opportunity.

But....... they have a good reputation and I think they have a bit more quality control and thought process into the livability (good looking finishes, floor, wall, ceiling finishes, etc.). And their customer support almost always gets very good reviews.

HOWEVER - I think the most important thing is the dealer you choose. You will very likely want VERY GOOD support after the purchase (no matter the manufacturer). That's is a real difference as you will see as you read from the folks who have experience problems (from any manufacturer).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Floor plan is the most important factor. Start there and then x off manufactures.

Any RV is going to have issues, tow behind less, but you'll still have issues. Most components are a wire harness or two and some screws or bolts to swap. Easy. You are still buying a moving house that does 70mph down the road. There will be things that need fixing regardless of who you buy it from.

Grand design is a little better than most in standing behind their customer. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one from grand design nor would I hesitate to buy one from a competitor. The differences between like models is very small. Floor plan, floor plan, floor plan.
    Last edited by Aridon; 11-10-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2019 -2970RlL. We Love it! We have gone out for 16 times this year for minimum of 2 days and up to 5 days with most being 4 days. Based on weight this trailer said it was ˝ ton towable. Our 1500 would tow 10,200, it’s gross was under 9,000. However, after towing it, going to CAT scale, it was not ˝ towable legally or safely. We had to move up to 2500 3/4ton. So what ever you decide. Make sure your rear axle weights are over 4400. To tow for sure the 2670. Good luck. The floor plans are the most important & we have had great customer service from both Grand Design & the dealer we purchased it from!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would repeat what others have said here and add one other item to consider. This very forum which is filled with knowledgable, thoughtful, and very generous people. Is Grand Design really any different than other manufacturers? I believe they are a step above. A small part is better quality control, while not perfect, it's better than what I've seen from Keystone and Thor. Another part is their customer service which I've not heard heard any real complaints. There have been a couple of trolls or people who I doubt would be happy if someone walked up to them and gave them $50, but when customers honestly reached out they have been treated fairly. On the flip side, as it's been pointed out, a RV is a moving earthquake and by its nature is going to break. When you add common components like TVs, Microwaves, refrigerators, heat, A/C, and pumps some problems are out of Grand Designed control.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been very happy with my 2670MK. Used to own a Jayco Fifth. BOTH were good RV's. The big item, as noted, is the dealership. I've lucked out and found two good ones. But sorting the good from the bad can be problematic - there are few comprehensive review places, generally, for dealers. Just a caution - GD is not necessarily a "premium" RV manufacturer. I'd classify them as middle tier. Sure, you can look at their higher end stuff and gets lots of amenities. But while they are a step up from, say, Forest River, they thread the needle too to keep production costs down. I'd put them generally at the same level as Jayco. That all said - their customer service is generally outstanding. Few RV manufacturers will take phone calls directly from customers, let alone encourage them. If you are not getting satisfactory service from your dealer, Grand Design welcomes your call, and generally will do whatever they can to get your problem fixed, even if that means by someone else than your dealer.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is exactly the information I’m looking for. Thanks everyone for taking the time. The phrase “moving earthquake “ had me laughing! Floor plan and dealer, got it and makes perfect sense. We’ve just started looking but are fortunate to live in an area with several brands available. Interesting that Jayco is mentioned; that’s the other brand we are most interested in at the moment as we continue to look and research options. We don’t want to be doing this again in a couple years!

Setting Up Camp Lawrencemountain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Seahawks! View Post
    My wife and I are getting out of boating and back into camping. We‘ve started looking at and researching brand and models that are half-ton towable (Ford F-150 Ecoboost). There are a TON of options to consider. Budget is of course important but we are not afraid of paying more for a premium product IF the value is there. Our plans are to use the trailer several times a year for a week or two at a time, so we need/want something that stands up to use. We looked at the Grand Design 2500RL and 2670MK models. GD seems to be a well-built product but like most anything you find a mix of good and bad reviews online. I’m looking here for any frank and honest feedback. What do you like about the brand/model you have? What don’t you like? What would you change? Problems? Customer service? Warranty responsiveness and willingness to take ownership of problems? Perception of value compared to other “premium” brands? Etc., etc. TIA!
    Good morning "Go Seahawks",
    Please know how difficult it was to write that, coming from someone in Boston... For the purpose of answering your question, we will put that aside for now.

I agree with most said here. I believe GD is a far better product than many RV manufactures. I feel the structure is the most important component of the RV and everything else can be modified and maintained as needed. With all of the research I completed prior to purchasing, I feel GD was/is better built and for the most part is going to provide me with the least repair cost. Then I needed to decide where to purchase from. I started at the large dealers with the names we all know. After learning their process and being taken down the path they wanted me to follow, I decide to stop the deal I was making and found a much smaller dealer in New Hampshire and eventually purchased from their second lot in Vermont. I am so pleased that I continued to look and found them as they have treated me well, priced it right and have been there to support me as needed.

My biggest advice to anyone concerning RVs is: You need to either be very handy or have lots of money to pay someone that is very handy. I fit the first category. I have added, altered, manufactured, repaired and made many things better than how my 351M came from the factory. It did not arrive perfect but at the same time, I did not expect it to. I knew going into this that I would need to make it mine by providing ideas, labor and some investment. I have only had 1 item that I needed the dealer to repair and that involved the slide not closing properly Beyond that, I have provide all other solutions and modifications.

Don't expect any RV to be perfect and do expect to investing something to making it better. It all starts with the base from the factory, so pick the best one for you and start the adventure.

I wish you the best of luck with your purchase and sincerely hope you find the same joy as we have with our RV.

Now, Go Patriots!
    Steve and Liz Lawrence

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast