User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacement batteries

I have been on the fence about replacing the flooded batteries ( two ) in our Solitude. Mainly to allay concern about corrosion and gassing in an enclosed compartment. I have been thinking AGM,s. Now I see Costco has a limited time sale on 90ah Lion Energy Safari lithiums for $650. Specs say 3500 recharges at 100% DOD.
    So do any of you electrical gurus have insight / advice for a lithium novice?
    Thanks , Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took my wet cells out almost immediately. I much prefer sealed batteries because of the low maintenance. I put in AGMs from Sam's. The next time I will likely put in Lithiums because of the weight savings and performance (certainly not because of the cost). I think you'd want at least 2 of the 90ah batteries.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Their manual is almost silent when it comes to how to recharge. Can you use a stock converter? Do you need to buy a new converter?
    Lithium batteries need at least periodic balancing charging to equalize the individual cells. No mention of how that is done, or if there is any provision for that built into the battery.
    Note the several warnings not to use, or charge, in freezing weather.
    If you assume 2 6v batteries, they would have maybe 220AH. So you would need two of the Lion's to be about the same (although you can much more deeply discharge the Lion's).
    Lithiums can be killed by even just once fully discharging. No mention if the batteries have a cut off that protects from that.

I'm suspicious of any company that doesn't talk about complete care and feeding, even if their system takes care of it all automatically. It would be something to market along with the general characteristics of the batteries.
    Last edited by sande005; 11-10-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)