We are looking to get back into RVing with a 260RD at some point in the near future. Our prior RV was a 40ft Cedar Creek that was about 14.5K when loaded. We pulled with a 2006 F350 dually 2WD PSD with 6.0L. We would usually take one long summer trip to avoid the summer heat here in the Phoenix area. Typical tow miles each summer were from 3K to 6K. We are planning the same type of travel, just without our grown kids. This will allow us to get a smaller and lighter fifth-wheel. Since we have another car at home, our tow vehicle will see most of its annual use when we are out traveling and will not be required as a daily driver when we get home. I work from home, so we only use our second vehicle (the tow vehicle) on occasion.

We are looking to avoid diesel and dually in the tow vehicle. We are focused on the F250 or F350 super cab with short bed, gas engine and 2wd. These seem to be around at good used prices as most folks seem to want crew cab and 4WD. Our gas engine options are the v10 prior to 2011 and the 6.2L thereafter.

Based on what I read on the web, 10K seems to be the over-under line where many start to recommend diesel. Since the 260RD has unloaded brochure weight of 7,225, I figured our loaded weight will probably be around 9K. The east or west routes to leave the Phoenix area do not involve any meaningful climbing. The two routes north, however, have big elevation gains taking us from 2K above sea level at our house to about 5K - 7K elevation.

Ideally, I am hoping for feedback from those towing with a gas engine in the southwest where the elevation changes are more extreme than east of the Rockies.

How do you like the set-up?

What sort of towing mpg can we expect?

Any thoughts on v10 vs. 6.2L?