User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best will be whichever you choose. I put a sidewinder on my trailer. I had the BW goose neck companion. (Per BW not allowed for that type) so I added pucks to my dodge and bought a new base for my hitch. Hind sight I would have sold the hitch installed rails and went with the BW patriot.

Towing with the sidewinder and companion with pucks I feel no differences and no trailer sway. I’ve pulled 2000 miles twice across the Rockies and extremely strong cross winds ND to Colorado.

My vote rails and BW Patriot with wedge for that hitch.

The Reese 16k would be my next choice.

BW I drilled new holes in the side supports to allow it to drop an additional 2”.
    Last edited by Jennifer & Andrew; 11-21-2019 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought a 295RL and pulled it from DE to FL Keys with an Anderson hitch. No problems at all

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went through your same situation about two months ago.

1. Get the hitch you have confidence in. There is nothing worse than going down a 2 lane road and not have confidence in your equipment.

2. There are many 5er hitches out there and most of them a great. Pick the one you want.

3. Dealers tend to make a bit extra installing the hitch. My dealer wanted $900 in labor to install the hitch I wanted plus another $1500 for the hitch.

I installed my own hitch with help from my son. Everything including the electrical hookup was about$1300 and I got to spend some time with my son. Priceless!! If you are not handy with tools going with your dealer would be my suggestion. If you have a local hitch shop and you get a quote from them that is considerably less than what the dealer wants negotiate with your dealer and show you want to support them but, not taken to the cleaners every time you need something. You need to establish that up front or they will always be trying to get you to pay more than you should. That's just the way it is dobn't be upset by it.

I ended up going with the "Anderson Ultimate" with the B&W turnover ball frame hitch. I read the negative reports and evaluated them and decided the AUH was the one for me.

Good luck on deciding what you are going to do and let us know what you decide.
    Barry:D
    USN Retired
    2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, many mods, B&W rollball Gooseneck hitch and Anderson Ultimate adaptor
    2020 Reflection 337RLS, TorxLift stairs, bug screens on Furnace, HWH, Fridge, Cross bar on screen door
    Yanmar Sc2450

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andersen ultimate fifth wheel, love it! This is our first fifth wheel and it’s so easy to use.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Reese goose box and would not have anything else. Works great especially with the air bag that is standard plus have full use of my bed.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT16 View Post
    I believe that the driver is already factored into the payload capacity and does not count against that limit.
    It use to be the case a driver up to 150 pounds was factored in but was later changed, I forget the year. So for example in my truck manual the driver's weight is not considered. So a couple thoughts, first one should find out how payload capacity is determined for their individual truck and second thought is if one is concerned whether the drivers weight is factored in, perhaps a truck with more payload with a margin to account for payload factors.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 150Lb driver only applies to the towing rating. To my my knowledge, it has never applied to a payload rating. Full talk of gas is already included in the payload rating before anyone asks, lol.
    Steve and Barb - Delaware
    2021 Solitude S-class 2930rl, solar package, slide toppers, dual panes
    2019 F250 6.2L 3170 payload sticker Reece Goosebox 20K B&W turnover-ball
    2017 Flagstaff 23IKSS Hybrid, 6700 GVW (sold)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can of worms you opened. My 2 cents is go for an Andersen Ultimate hitch, it's good to 24,000# tow rating and 4500# hitch rating so your upgrade itch is already scratched. Use it with a B&W or Curt turnover ball mounted underneath the bed and save at least 100# of payload for other things. Not only that it's easy enough to quickly remove by yourself and use the truck bed as intended. If you have a 6.5' or 8' bed turning isn't a problem with the 150 series Reflections.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4, 2018 303rs. Pullrite Superlite. So easy to hook and unhook. 20k capacity.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123