User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cqyqte View Post
    When you haul that 150 series 290BH at it's capacity your pin weight will be about 20% of 10,195 lbs which is 2039 lbs, so it is best to use that number when calculating. I don't want to start an arguement but I have yet to figure out how the manufacturers can get away with calling these rigs F150 towable. I suspect you have a payload in the 3500 to 3800 lbs not knowing your truck configuration so you should be good for the 2039lbs pin weight. I would opt in for a puck system 5th wheel hitch which will tie directly to the truck frame. Some of the newer trucks with the aluminum beds require cross braces if they use some of the other hitches. Just my opinion and others are entitled to theirs as well.
    With this pin weight only leaves roughly 500 pounds that will disappear quickly when factoring in a driver, passengers, 5th wheel hitch (150-200) pounds, truck accessories and cargo.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is two different ones, one that weights 35 and one that weights 50.There was talk that the manufacture will not warrant the frame using the 35lb one, not sure about the 50lb. I'm going to check with Grand Design to see if the 50lb is ok.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auh

Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    Yes, we love our AUH and all you say is true except they weigh in at 35 pounds.
    You can also use with turning point locked out and AUH reversed in pin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know a lot about pin weight - that is my husbands arena - but we have a 2017 Reflection 150 290BH and have been towing it with a 3/4 ton truck and have had no problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    With this pin weight only leaves roughly 500 pounds that will disappear quickly when factoring in a driver, passengers, 5th wheel hitch (150-200) pounds, truck accessories and cargo.
    I believe that the driver is already factored into the payload capacity and does not count against that limit.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will keep saying this -- yes, you can tow with a F150. You cannot stop with it. The brakes are to small.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 28BH and pull it with the same 3/4 Ton truck you have with no problems. You should be fine with the 290BH. To answer the question you ask, I chose the B&H Patriot 5th Wheel slider hitch 18K and it works great. Paid about $1,300.00 installed

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Reese 16k with the swivel head. My previous unit was a Jayco Eagle Superlite that came with the Reese Revolution pinbox so no need for a slider with my shortbed GM. When we bought the GD RS29 I opted to keep the hitch and replace the standard pinbox with the Reese Sidewinder. You never know where you'll end up when you need to make a sharp turn/U-turn and I didn't trust myself to always remember (or have the opportunity) to move the slider. The Reese 16k is a 2-piece hitch. The head is easily removable so one person can take the head and base out of the bed. The rails stay in but are pretty unobtrusive. Getting the proper height adjustment is not a simple matter but it is critical to have the truck and trailer running level.

As far as tow capacity, I look at hitch weight (1280 for the 290BH)/UVW (8194)*GVWR (9995) = 1561 lbs (assuming you distribute your load evenly). Take your truck to the scales, gassed and loaded as you would when you travel. Add the 1561 to your rear axle weight. Are you within GAWR for front and rear? Are you within the truck's GVWR? Are you within GCWR if the trailer is at 9995 lbs? If "yes" to all, you're good to go.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent an entire Christmas-New-Year holiday week researching fifth wheel hitches for our 2006 F250. Long story short (strange for me, I know), I liked everything about the B&W Turnover Ball with the companion Hitch. My Late brother and I installed the bottom part in about 3 hours. The companion part requires a torque wrench with a couple of deeper sockets. I'm an old man now and can remove both parts with minimal help. It leaves the bed completely flat with just a 3 inch hole over the axle.

We have a long-bed truck so a slider hitch wasn't even considered. My other brother bought a new 2017 Sierra 3/4 Diesel and bought the B&W, except he bought the Slider hitch (He wants to sell the companion slider hitch because he never needs to us it and it is too heavy for one person to lift out of the truck. Please contact me if you would like to find a almost brand new B&W companion slider for a Turnover Ball).

The standard Turnover Ball unit with the companion hitch is rated 20,000# towing capacity and 5,000# pin weight. It is completely silent while towing. If I ever get another truck I buy a new Turnover for the new truck and definitely keep my companion hitch...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good options, but dont overlook the Reese Goosebox. There are several significant advantages over a standard 5th wheel.
    Before it comes up, no this is not a goose neck adapter and it is Lippert approved.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast