User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 150 series Pivot Box - Concerns

New member here. I'm picking up our 2020 GD (150 series) 205 RL on Wednesday, and have concerns about the new pivot box on the RV. I have read from other posts that if the pivot box is used for "cornering" you will have room to maneuver however, you lose some of the stability while towing on highways. Is this going to be an issue ?. If you "lockout" the pivot box, and use it as just another pin box, maneuverability is going to be an issue and I only have a manual sliding hitch. for which I am concerned of having to use all the time.

Has anyone had experience using the new moving pivot box ?

Thank you

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your tow vehicle (make, model, bed length)? That will help with the maneuverability question. The turning-point feature does move the effective attachment point (pivot point) rearward a bit, so the stability of the trailer will be slightly less than if you had the pivot directly over the rear axle. Lucky for you, you can try it and see if it bothers you at all.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SNye45 View Post
    New member here. I'm picking up our 2020 GD (150 series) 205 RL on Wednesday, and have concerns about the new pivot box on the RV. I have read from other posts that if the pivot box is used for "cornering" you will have room to maneuver however, you lose some of the stability while towing on highways. Is this going to be an issue ?. If you "lockout" the pivot box, and use it as just another pin box, maneuverability is going to be an issue and I only have a manual sliding hitch. for which I am concerned of having to use all the time.

Thank you
    Hello,

I will try and answer some of your questions and concerns.

I have read from other posts that if the pivot box is used for "cornering" you will have room to maneuver however, you lose some of the stability while towing on highways. Is this going to be an issue ?.
    * I use the turning point feature and I have not had any stability issues. There are some videos out there that suggest that you loose some stability. I have not experienced any issues in 4000 plus miles of travel. When you compared to my last travel trailer to my 290BH, the 290BH tows like a dream.

If you "lockout" the pivot box, and use it as just another pin box, maneuverability is going to be an issue and I only have a manual sliding hitch. for which I am concerned of having to use all the time.
    * There are some on this forum that lock out the turning point feature and have indicated they have not had to use the manual slider. I would say it depends on your truck, bed length, and what turns you have to make. Backing up and tight turns would be a concern if you do not have an 8 foot bed.

If you decide to use the turning point feature, make sure you get the custom wedge that matches to your hitch. It make a world of difference over the universal wedge plate. This is explained in the updated instructions from LCI, the maker of the Turning Point Hitch.

I hope this helps you.

Dan
    F-250
    Reflection 150 Series 290BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have around 5,000 miles towing our 295RL with the Turning Point pin box. No issues. Handles just fine.
    2019 Reflection 150 - 295RL
    2018 F-150 Heavy Duty Payload
    Max Trailer Tow

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The theory behind the Turning Point hitch has been around for years.

Reese makes the Sidewinder pinbox for almost 10 years already. There are no stability issues. It doesn't contribute to sway either.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have towed my 295RL with turning point and as a normal pin box with no cornering, handling, or sway issues.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ditto - had a Sidewinder on my old fifth, and loved it. Absolutely no issues in handling. Just make sure, if you ever drop it off for service, that it has not been locked out by the dealer so they can move it around their yard with their conventional equipment. Mine did, didn't tell me, and did not remove the pin before I left. Nor did I spot it. That means no pivot point at all. He got to send a tow truck, install a whole new pin box, sidewinder, complete hitch, and pay for frame inspection on my truck due to that "oops". I thought it was making more noise than usual on the 10 mile trip home and backing into my driveway......
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Just make sure, if you ever drop it off for service, that it has not been locked out by the dealer so they can move it around their yard with their conventional equipment. Mine did, didn't tell me, and did not remove the pin before I left. Nor did I spot it. That means no pivot point at all. He got to send a tow truck, install a whole new pin box, sidewinder, complete hitch, and pay for frame inspection on my truck due to that "oops". I thought it was making more noise than usual on the 10 mile trip home and backing into my driveway......
    Same exact thing happened to me.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other benefit of the turning point unit is that it probably makes backing a little easier. Folks with manual sliders often report that the trailer reacts more quickly to their inputs when the slider is in the rearward position.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the turning point hitch in both positions, locked and unlocked and could not tell the difference on the highway. I prefer the hitch set to swivel.
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast