Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gray tank valve inoperative

My bathroom gray tank is 2/3 full and when I pulled the cable handle at the end of my dump routine, nothing came out of the hose. I exercised the handle a few times without the system producing anything to the hose.
    Grand design suggested pulling the belly cover and inspecting the valve, which makes sense. Unfortunately I can’t park for more than a day or two at a time due to my work and travel schedule, until the end of this month. Since nothing seems to have come out of the tank (I monitored the ground for any water that may have leaked around the edges of the belly cover), I’m inclined to leave everything as it is until I can schedule a tech. Any suggestions out there?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDraggin View Post
    My bathroom gray tank is 2/3 full and when I pulled the cable handle at the end of my dump routine, nothing came out of the hose. I exercised the handle a few times without the system producing anything to the hose.
    Grand design suggested pulling the belly cover and inspecting the valve, which makes sense. Unfortunately I can’t park for more than a day or two at a time due to my work and travel schedule, until the end of this month. Since nothing seems to have come out of the tank (I monitored the ground for any water that may have leaked around the edges of the belly cover), I’m inclined to leave everything as it is until I can schedule a tech. Any suggestions out there?
    Hey RedDraggin, From your description, Sounds like the dump cable has broken at the pull handle or at the valve by the tank or the inner cable has detached from the valve rod at the tank. I don't think you have any other option than to drop the underbelly and inspect the valve. I don't know what coach you have to I don't know if you can get at the valve any other way than to drop the underbelly. I don't know of anyway to drain the grey tank without opening the drain valve at the tank. If the valve itself or cable to the valve is broken then have to replace. If its the cable at the tank valve you could try to open the valve at the tank manually by pulling on the rod the cable hooks to and drain the tank before taking everything apart. Either way there will be some work involved, a tech might be able to get you fixed a lot faster than doing it yourself if time is an issue.

someone else may have a better idea.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 11-12-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to ask the obvious...is it the correct gray handle for the right tank?

Don't know what you have, but most units have at least 2 gray tanks.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My trailer also has 2 grey tanks, but only one dump valve (with a grey handle). You can see in the photo that pipes from the two tanks are joined together just before the valve.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190523_113611400_HDR.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	23489

What type of trailer do you have? Could you take a few pics of the piping underneath? I agree with what Steven@147 said, it sounds like the valve is not functioning properly.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies. I have not figured out how to add my rig information to my profile however I have the 303RLS. It comes with two separate valves, one for each gray tank and I tested and labeled them soon after taking delivery. So I know it is the bathroom tank that is not working. Cleanest water in the house, so to speak.

I scheduled a mobile tech to help me when I get to San Diego… Five days and about 600 miles from now ;-)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi BeerBrewer,

My valves are concealed by an underbelly cover so I can’t access them or take photos until I remove that enclosure.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am happy to report that the situation is resolved.

I recently stayed in some very cool weather and it appears that valve simply became slightly stuck, but all is well. Going forward I will use more consistently the tank valve lubricant product that you pour into each tank periodically. Thanks again :-)