User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Good evening. I have a Jayco 23 MRB travel trailer (one slide) and have been hauling it with my 2011 Tundra. Jayco weight is ~7400-7600# and pulls it with no problem. We have been looking at a Grand Design 315 RLTS that is 7-8' longer and weighs 8994#. Towing capacity for the Tundra is 9900-11000# but I do not want the tail waggin the dog especially if I am in the mountains.

Anybody have a Tundra with this model of travel trailer and have you got any recommendations? Of course what we are looking at is another trailer and possibly having to buy another truck. I have not seen where Toyota has come out with a 3/4 ton Tundra yet.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the 315RLTS is too much trailer for the Tundra. I was just looking at the current specs for that floorplan (GVW of 11K, tongue weight of 1100 lbs.). I think the empty tongue weight + hitch might get you really close to the payload capacity of the Tundra.

At first glance that looks like it needs a 3/4-ton gasser or 1-ton diesel.
    Last edited by backtrack2015; 11-13-2019 at 07:55 PM.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your reply...I was afraid that was the situation but wanted anothers opinion. Tundra only has 150,000 miles and runs great. Might just have to wait until we need another truck. I am sure the trailers will still be around...LOL

Thank you again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manrock54 View Post
    Thank you for your reply...I was afraid that was the situation but wanted anothers opinion. Tundra only has 150,000 miles and runs great. Might just have to wait until we need another truck. I am sure the trailers will still be around...LOL

Thank you again.
    As much as I loved the Tundra and the 5.7 beast, I was not comfortable with being close with just the TT or severally over its capacity when I added stuff to the bed. Recently upgraded to a Ram 2500 with way more capacity but still miss my Tundra.
    I am pissed at Toyota for not coming out with a 3/4 ton but according to the Tundra project manager there will never be a larger Tundra only some eco stuff for 2020.
    Last edited by Cahriad; 11-13-2019 at 10:46 PM. Reason: clarity
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved my 2010 Tundra but the payload numbers just weren't there. Moved to a Ram 3500 diesel and couldn't be happier. Good luck in your search.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not heard that Tundra will not be making a 3/4 ton truck.....that is a bad move on their part....We also looked at the Imagine with 2 slides but the wife does not like the bedroom....we currently have the Murphy Bed in the Jayco and although small it does not make her claustrophobic.....
    So have you been happy with the RAM or would you consider a Ford F-250? The Platinum runs $50-60+K.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good evening. I have a Jayco 23 MRB travel trailer (one slide) and have been hauling it with my 2011 Tundra. Jayco weight is ~7400-7600# and pulls it with no problem. We have been looking at a Grand Design 315 RLTS that is 7-8' longer and weighs 8994#. Towing capacity for the Tundra is 9900-11000# but I do not want the tail waggin the dog especially if I am in the mountains.

Anybody have a Tundra with this model of travel trailer and have you got any recommendations? Of course what we are looking at is another trailer and possibly having to buy another truck. I have not seen where Toyota has come out with a 3/4 ton Tundra yet.

Would appreciate your thoughts.
    I towed the 297RSTS which is 34' and 1000 lbs lighter. The Tundra did well and had no issues with towing this. Previous trailer was a Rockwood nearly identical to weight and length of your Jayco. I felt the 297RSTS towed better than the Rockwood. However I would not have wanted to go to the 315RLTS. You will be severly over payload, I was 300lbs over and the 315 is about 400 lbs tongue weight more. The extra 3' will be more to handle in heavy cross winds. With the 297 I have towed in heavy cross winds with the Tundra and definitely some pushing around but not white knuckle. The Tundra is a great tow vehicle even when you push the limits a bit but the 315 is too much in my opinion based on towing the 297 for over 10,000 km (6000 miles) with it.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me just say that Toyota is very disappointed with the sales of their Tundra model pickups. Ford, GM and Ram are such tough competitors, and their dealers really know how to sell trucks. Toyota dealers really know how to sell RAV-4's and Camrys.

Ford is coming with a completely new F250-F350-F450 the end of the year. If I was looking for a tow vehicle, that's the one I'd be looking to purchase. The technology is incredible, and it'll be current and new looking for many years to come.

My last of the 7.3 F250's is 17 years old, and being a top line Lariat it still looks great @ 150K miles. The value comes in by being a long term owner.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not heard that Tundra will not be making a 3/4 ton truck.....that is a bad move on their part....We also looked at the Imagine with 2 slides but the wife does not like the bedroom....we currently have the Murphy Bed in the Jayco and although small it does not make her claustrophobic.....
    So have you been happy with the RAM or would you consider a Ford F-250? The Platinum runs $50-60+K.
    Manrock54 - just a forum tip: if you use "Reply With Quote" just to the right of "Reply," folks will know to whom you are responding and will also receive a notification so they'll know to come answer your question(s). Welcome to the forum!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Manrock54 - just a forum tip: if you use "Reply With Quote" just to the right of "Reply," folks will know to whom you are responding and will also receive a notification so they'll know to come answer your question(s). Welcome to the forum!

Rob
    Thanks Rob. I will use the reply with quote from now on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast