User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not even a newbie yet

Hi. My wife and I are looking at toy haulers. Plan to be snowbirds and take our canam Spyder with us. If anyone has info or experiences with the momentum fifth wheelers it would be appreciated. We’ll pull with a 2018 Ram 3500 single rear wheel short bed. 17k max towing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome RTJerry! We've had the Momentum in my signature for just about a year. Other than some initial minor cosmetic issues we have had no problems at all. We are weekend warriors and have had it out about half a dozen times. Since you mentioned you have a 3500 SRW SB I just wanted to caution you that while it can tow 17k max, the important number is going to be the cargo carrying capacity. That will be on a "Tire and Loading" label somewhere on your door jam. It'll say something like "Max weight of cargo and passengers should not exceed XXX". This is important because give or take 20% of the 5th wheel weight will be pin weight that is carried by the truck. So if the GVWR of the trailer is 16,800 LBS, figure 20% of that weight will be in the bed of the truck. That is in addition to the weight of you and your wife, the fir kids (if any), hitch, etc. You'll want to make sure your truck can handle the weight.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input John. I’m aware of the trucks specs. Payload number is 3930lbs. It will just be my wife and I and3 cats (sedated) in the truck. We are limiting our choices to units that work with the trucks capabilities. We’ll be carrying a 1000lb motorcycle and need a 13’ garage. Could work with 11’ but more comfortable with 13. At this point have it narrowed to GD or Keystone Raptor or Carbon based on features, floor plans and quality. If you have experience with other toyhaulers would be very interested.