User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
    Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you will enjoy your new F150 for many years to come.

I was at the Ford dealer yesterday getting an oil change and walked around the lot looking at all the new shiny Fords, and I couldn't believe the prices of some of the models. One thing that I noticed is not a single F150 had tow mirrors.

Safe and happy travels.
    Yeah, when I was shopping for a new truck they were offering $10K off a $50K F-150 before negotiating. But the weight numbers didn't work for me.
    I used a set of CIPA mirrors on my F-150. The new F-250 has power extending / folding mirrors.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    An F150 is plenty of truck for that trailer at 6000lbs loaded from the scale. The OP is well within his specs. No need for a bigger truck.

Rob
    Correct Rob, as you know there is much more (of course) to the determination of suitable and safe towing that knowing the model (f150) of the vehicle. As far as I
    know, the Max Tow Pkg on a 150 is available only with the 3.5TT engine. If one has to have the 3.5TT engine to tow a 28' TT that maxes out at 7k lbs then there must
    be tens of thousands of RV's towing with the 'wrong' TV, but...…...I doubt it. Max tow cap on my TV is 9,100, a far cry from the max 7k for the two 3.5k axles and
    2,600lbs above the max I would even consider towing (I stop at 6500lbs for safety and tow with zero water). Just my 2cents unless I'm missing some important facts.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    Correct Rob, as you know there is much more (of course) to the determination of suitable and safe towing that knowing the model (f150) of the vehicle. As far as I
    know, the Max Tow Pkg on a 150 is available only with the 3.5TT engine. If one has to have the 3.5TT engine to tow a 28' TT that maxes out at 7k lbs then there must
    be tens of thousands of RV's towing with the 'wrong' TV, but...…...I doubt it. Max tow cap on my TV is 9,100, a far cry from the max 7k for the two 3.5k axles and
    2,600lbs above the max I would even consider towing (I stop at 6500lbs for safety and tow with zero water). Just my 2cents unless I'm missing some important facts.
    The other thing you need to ensure is that you are not over the payload of the truck. Most of the time you will max out the payload of the truck with an RV well before you get to the max tow rating. 15% of the 7000 lb trailer is 1050 lbs tongue weight and then add all passengers, hitch and any other cargo in the truck and compare to the max payload on the door sticker to make sure you are safe. As an example my Tundra had a max tow rating of 10,100 lbs and payload of 1290 lbs. With my 297RSTS loaded for camping the trailer weighed 9500 lbs but with my wife, hitch, dog and a couple of chairs in the box I was 300 lbs over payload. I was ok with that because I was still 100 lbs under my rear axle rating and I had upgraded my tires to LRE on the truck from the P-rated tires. Best thing to do is the weigh the combo ready for camping to make sure you are within all of you ratings.

Rob
    Last edited by Calbar; 12-15-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    The other thing you need to ensure is that you are not over the payload of the truck. Most of the time you will max out the payload of the truck with an RV well before you get to the max tow rating. 15% of the 7000 lb trailer is 1050 lbs tongue weight and then add all passengers, hitch and any other cargo in the truck and compare to the max payload on the door sticker to make sure you are safe. As an example my Tundra had a max tow rating of 10,100 lbs and payload of 1290 lbs. With my 297RSTS loaded for camping the trailer weighed 9500 lbs but with my wife, hitch, dog and a couple of chairs in the box I was 300 lbs over payload. I was ok with that because I was still 100 lbs under my rear axle rating and I had upgraded my tires to LRE on the truck from the P-rated tires. Best thing to do is the weigh the combo ready for camping to make sure you are within all of you ratings.

Rob
    Correct Rob, my payload is 1823, after subtracting all variables, I have 193 lbs payload left. I would like to have a little more 'breathing room' than that but I can't change the numbers. I always do a CAT scale weigh at the first available location after leaving town just to be sure that I know where I stand. Much thanks for your input.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    Yeah, when I was shopping for a new truck they were offering $10K off a $50K F-150 before negotiating. But the weight numbers didn't work for me.
    I used a set of CIPA mirrors on my F-150. The new F-250 has power extending / folding mirrors.
    Sounds like a nice truck jmbopp, I'm sure it will serve you well. I'm thinking that, for me, I don't want to be stuck X number of years from now with an expensive F250 as my daily driver
    so I had to compromise a bit by buying a smaller, lighter TT and a TV that I can use more efficiently later. Travel Safe!!
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all who commented. I’ve been towing my 2250RK (CAT scale 6500lbs) with my new truck (details above 12-12-19) now for 3500 miles and the towing experience compared to my previous 2018 2wd F150 with the same 5.0L Coyote is night and day. Can I tell you specifically why? No, I’m just Happy with the results. Thanks to all for your input.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks chieft. mine does not have tow mirrors either however I have a very capable furrion rear observation camera that works great and my truck has the optional trailer tow setting that allows the blis or bsms, whatever its called, system to extend both side and rear distances so the blind spot covers the entire trailer. luckily the lack of the larger tow mirrors has not been an issue. travel safe.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12