0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drip, Drip, Drip from front Cap 230RL Reflection 150

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black Cap Drip.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	23532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black Cap Drip 2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	23533

Noticed a couple of days ago that the black plastic caps on the bottom of the end cap on my 2018 230RL have 1/8th inch holes drilled into them (or molded into them) and there was as drip, drip, drip of water coming out of the holes. We had had maybe 1 inch of snow the day before and it was thawing as the temps were in the low 40s. When I called GD Customer Service they indicated that these holes were there to drain water from inside the front cap, but did not indicate the source of the water (roof leakage, condensate behind the cap, etc.). The only guidance I got was that they recommend checking and redoing any caulking on the roof every 6 months - per the manual. Since I am dealing with a broken leg right now I'm limited in going up on the roof to see if the caulk is OK. Before I bring in a mobile tech, thought I'd see if anyone else has seen or experienced this and if they confirmed the source of the water.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar problem with my Cedar Creek, it was indeed a caulking issue. Mine was the trim along the bottom of the overhang, water ran down the side of the RV and instead of rolling off it seeped in, then collected in the overhang by the hitch. Water inside an RV is very bad.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had this issue a couple of times in specific weather conditions. Very cold temps at night and above freezing during the day. Moisture was condensing and freezing on the front frame members at night and then finding its way out in the morning when the temps got above freezing. No precipitation involved.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed the drip as well, the seal at the top of the cap looks good, but I did find a seal by the lower front marker light that did not look good, see the attached image (marked with a Red Arrow) for the exact location. I'll be watching this to see if it continues. Most of the time it does not drip until I raise or lower the landing gear when hitching.
    Mark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leak.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	23540
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas, yes, water inside the RV, whether inside the walls, or on the outside is bad news. I did not see any "water track" coming down from the roof, so am looking at sources for moisture inside the front cap.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, this sounds about like what I'm seeing. Interestingly, with a heavy rain two days ago, I checked these "drip holes" again and did not see any significant water coming out. Any ideas re. possible damage from this condensation within the wall? Has this been planned for and protected against by GD (hence the holes for drainage)?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain William View Post
    Rob, this sounds about like what I'm seeing. Interestingly, with a heavy rain two days ago, I checked these "drip holes" again and did not see any significant water coming out. Any ideas re. possible damage from this condensation within the wall? Has this been planned for and protected against by GD (hence the holes for drainage)?
    William,

First a tip: use "Reply With Quote" instead of just "Reply." The person of whom you are asking the question will get a notice that they've been quote and will know to respond.

Thinking it through, the luan ply that forms the inside of the bottom cover for the gooseneck area would be most at risk for water damage. I'm not aware that GD has "planned" for anything related to this issue. You might give GD Customer Service a call and see what they have to say. They're great to work with.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    William,

First a tip: use "Reply With Quote" instead of just "Reply." The person of whom you are asking the question will get a notice that they've been quote and will know to respond.

Thinking it through, the luan ply that forms the inside of the bottom cover for the gooseneck area would be most at risk for water damage. I'm not aware that GD has "planned" for anything related to this issue. You might give GD Customer Service a call and see what they have to say. They're great to work with.

Rob
    Thanks for tip. Not sure what the "Reply with Quote" option meant.

yes, uncoated luan will absorb water like a sponge. I'll give them another call to see what they can tell me. I agree about the helpfulness of the Customer Service but my contact on this issue may be pretty new as I had to lead him through several questions just to confirm there were holes drilled (or molded) into these black end caps. He did finally go ask the manufacturing manager to get the answer. Kudos for that.

BTW, where do you and others get the map found at the bottom of your signature? Want to add that to mine as we've now visited all but about 9 states with our 230RL.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain William View Post
    Thanks for tip. Not sure what the "Reply with Quote" option meant.

yes, uncoated luan will absorb water like a sponge. I'll give them another call to see what they can tell me. I agree about the helpfulness of the Customer Service but my contact on this issue may be pretty new as I had to lead him through several questions just to confirm there were holes drilled (or molded) into these black end caps. He did finally go ask the manufacturing manager to get the answer. Kudos for that.

BTW, where do you and others get the map found at the bottom of your signature? Want to add that to mine as we've now visited all but about 9 states with our 230RL.
    This map works well for me - there are other, too. You can find them by searching for "states visited map."

https://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedState...dStatesMap.php

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015