Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Van for tow vehicle

New to the RVing world, looking for some insight on a tow vehicle. We show dogs on occasion and have several for pets. To travel, we will be taking them with us, which is limiting our options for vehicles.

Our frame of thought is an extended cargo van - 3/4 or one ton. We would gut most of the interior of the van and replace with kennels (likely 8). Obviously, this limits us to a travel trailer and because of the van's limitation, the size of the travel trailer is also restricted.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with towing with a van?

Any direction on determining what the actual capabilities of the van would be? I am reasonably certain that they are different from the pickup equivalents.

TIA
    Byron

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Byron,

I think you will be very challenged with modern vans. Once upon a time, Ford and Chevy produced heavy vans with 5-7 tons of towing capacity. However, I'm pretty sure the heaviest Express van CD an only tow 7500 pounds. Even the diesel Sprinter vans are rated pretty low. Not knowing what kind of budget you're working with, there's always custom upfitter solutions of chassis cab trucks.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. You are confirming alot of what I was thinking. I am planning on staying away from the sprinter style vans and will likely try to find a 2014-2016 vintage Ford or GM. From what I've cobbled together, these vans should have about a 9900 tow capacity and about 16000 lb combined weight. Cargo capacity is around 8500. IF those values pan out, I think there are a few TTs that could work.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider hybrids or hard side units without slideouts. Slide rooms add a fair amount of weight with the room box and the slide mechanism.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friends of ours needed to replace their aging Ford E350 1 ton cargo van. They went to Nissan and purchased the NV3500 high top cargo van. It provided them with 3,500 lbs. of payload and was rated to tow 9,400 lbs. They tow a 35 ft. bunk house (took the bunk beds out for dog crates) and are in the legal limits of the Nissan. They show dogs as well so the Nissan provides them with plenty of space to for crates in the back for travel.

-- Lyle
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine