User Tag List

Thread: Buckin bronco

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buckin bronco

We picked up our new Imagine 2250RK today. Dealer installed the wdh. On the way home it bucked pretty decent. I figured it was because we were towing with no added weight. Got it home, loaded her up and took her out again. It still bucked. Seems to buck when between 40 and 45 mph. I'm guessing the wdh may need adjusting or more weight to front in the trailer? Any suggestions?
    South Florida
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2019 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, is the trailer level towing? You are using load bars, right? Maybe load the bars more. Put more weight on the front axle.
    Last edited by phonemannn; 11-16-2019 at 07:05 PM.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need to crank up the bars, and/or get heavier bars. When set correctly the WDH should not buck.

One other question - how are your rear shocks? You may need to replace or upgrade to better ones. Bilstiens (sp?) have always had a good reputation.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes we are using a wdh hitch. I only became concerned when it was still bucking after loading all of our belongings. I will check to see if level.
    South Florida
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2019 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell us the exact WDH and setup. I will tell you the best any dealer can do is ballpark it. You need to load up, outfitted to camp, and head to the truck scale to really dial-in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought a 2020 Imagine 22rbe and had a Curt trunnion bar equalizer hitch installed. We drove it home in our new 2019 Ford Expedition with heavy duty towing package. It bucked like crazy, and gave us a back ache. I adjusted the hitch 4 times myself and that reduced some of the bucking. But it was still unacceptable for the long cross country trip we are planning.
    A local trailer service company said shock absorbers would only solve the bucking problem, and not to waste money on the rubber spring equalizers. However, he could't do the the work, so I had to do it myself. I ordered the Roadmaster RM-2450 Shock absorber kit from e-Trailer. I had to raise the trailer on jack stands and pull the tires. It took advanced tools, and was hard work for a 76 year old. Not a job for amateurs.
    I also ordered on-line, the Morryde heavy duty shackles, bronze bushings and wet bolt suspension replacement parts. I have read many posts here and on-line, and I agree that the stock suspension parts on many trailers are sub-standard. The plastic bushings I removed were already worn after only 500 miles, and I suspect that the flimsy shackles would also wear out quickly.
    The bottom line is that after those suspension repairs there was a tremendous improvement in the ride. The severe bucking was almost totally reduced. The road bumps are reduced to a smooth flow that is more like the ride of the tow vehicle alone.
    I don't understand why the factory doesn't pre-drill the frame for the shock absorber brackets, and offer that as a bolt on option. Also, the heavy duty suspension components could be standard equipment for less than $100. on the sale price.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it do this on all types of road surfaces? Did you happen to be driving on concrete roads? Concrete roads are notorious for this.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it was on all road surfaces. Maybe your 31 foot unit rides different from our 22 footers. I don’t want to get into discussions of axle locations, moment arms and hitch weights. What I did was the only thing that worked for us. Otherwise, we were going to have to sell the trailer to someone who would park it in a permanent trailer park.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogwood22rbe View Post
    Yes, it was on all road surfaces. Maybe your 31 foot unit rides different from our 22 footers. I don’t want to get into discussions of axle locations, moment arms and hitch weights. What I did was the only thing that worked for us. Otherwise, we were going to have to sell the trailer to someone who would park it in a permanent trailer park.
    Glad you resolved it. More weight to the hitch by redistributing your cargo would help - imagine it removing the teeter-totter effect if you don't like engineer speak. More practically, we came through the gambit of campers and I can tell you the WDH style you chose can be murder with certain configurations. Notorious were their issues on hybrids before those got really heavy with super slides. Same held for certain enclosed utility trailers. I speak from experience. An Equal-i-zer 4-point WDH gives you a rather rigid coupling in all directions which significantly cuts the bucking because the trailer and tow vehicle are moving much closer to unison. See that, I resisted going engineer on you! Lol! Happy camping to you from now on!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania