Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arizona winter camping recommendations

We’ll be driving from Michigan to Arizona and hope to camp at several spots in February and March. We’ve got the generator so BLM and other dry sites would work. Also want to check out private campgrounds for future extended stays. Any recommendations? How far north can we go and still avoid freezing temps? How’s availability?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyvv View Post
    We’ll be driving from Michigan to Arizona and hope to camp at several spots in February and March. We’ve got the generator so BLM and other dry sites would work. Also want to check out private campgrounds for future extended stays. Any recommendations? How far north can we go and still avoid freezing temps? How’s availability?

Thanks
    I can’t speak to temps in Northern Arizona but this is our second winter in southern Arizona.
    Availability in December and January is near zero since about a million people (literally) snowbird down here between quartzite and Yuma. Things ease back up in February and March but pretty much everything closes down I think end of April or early May because the sane people don’t camp in triple digits.
    If you’ve gotta be down here for an extended period check online for the 7 month LTVA (Long-Term Visitors Area) pass for $180. That’s not monthly, that’s for the entire 7 month “season”. It is dry camping but the pass gives you unlimited use of the dumping stations, fresh water fill up areas and use of the trash dumpsters. There’s also free 14-day BLM campgrounds all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Western AZ. and southern AZ. I like the Quartzsite area and the L.T.V.A. because it dose have the dump sites, and free water, and it is cheap. And if you are in to off roading there is a lot of places to ride. I have missed going there for the last two years, because I am having to work to pay for my new RV.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quartzite, Ehrenberg, and Yuma areas are all good choices for boondocking. Quartzite and Yuma are also good areas for RV parks. As for how far north, if you can accept some temps around the freezing point, Cottonwood has some good spots, followed by Sedona, but it is not uncommon for overnight temps to drop to or below freezing and then daytime temps will typically rise to mid 40's and higher.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW