Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 F350 Real World Idle Hours

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3442.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	23559

At the beginning of the year if you asked, I would have told you my next RV would be a smallish fiver and I'd get a nice 3/4 ton gas truck to pull it with. My brother-in-law was my role model for this plan.

Then we found the Solitude 310GK and it exceeded our needs and wants, so our tow vehicle shopping changed in a big way. In researching diesel trucks I read about concerns in the used market about trucks that were used in oilfields (and similar) where they spend large amounts of time idling. And of course forums will describe the worst case of what that means.

Well, we created a situation where buying new was the better option for us, so I wanted to feed the above image back to the forums in case anyone else searches on the subject. Living in the desert and traveling with our dogs, leaving the truck running while we setup or break camp is necessary. So you could have the potential to reach the same mileage with fewer idling hours.

Here are some additional stats:
    Truck had 40 miles on it when we picked it up, so my detailed tracking on mileage and fuel usage starts from there.
    5,960 miles
    538 gallons of diesel
    11 MPG
    10 gallons of DEF (roughly)
    2,905 miles of towing
    29 nights of camping
    Only 7 complete tanks of fuel without any towing - 14-16 MPG on those tanks
    Towing MPG has not dropped below 8 MPG, mostly mid 9's
    Ford's trip computer is always optimistic on MPG, so all above numbers are calculated.
    My commute is 11 miles each way, mostly 40 MPH roads
    2,900 lbs pin weight
    14,000 lbs loaded for camping
    Multiple trips towing to over 7,000 ft elevation

Best regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by BubbaChris; 11-18-2019 at 11:56 AM.
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL