User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haul Gauge

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haul Gauge

A friend of ours who tows a SOB 5th wheel asked me about this device, wondering if it would be a good addition. I have never heard of it and was wondering if anyone here has used one or has an opinion. The way the engineer describes the how it works, seems legit, but also seems like there are too many variables for it to be very accurate. What are y'alls thoughts?

Scroll down to the video...

https://www.haulgauge.com

Another interesting video, scroll down a bit...

https://www.haulgauge.com/how-it-works/

If you look around the site, there are other videos that explain more about the device. Interesting, but...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    A friend of ours who tows a SOB 5th wheel asked me about this device, wondering if it would be a good addition. I have never heard of it and was wondering if anyone here has used one or has an opinion. The way the engineer describes the how it works, seems legit, but also seems like there are too many variables for it to be very accurate. What are y'alls thoughts?

John
    John: I bought one, but have not set it up or used it yet, but will be doing so probably Thursday... Will let you know! I have heard good things about them, and several real life reviews are on YouTube...

Paul

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I recall this device being discussed a few years ago when it came out. It seems like a good idea, but if you are close to your limit, the accuracy margin, I think 10%, could give you a false sense of security. You're really better off going to a truck scale to be on the safe side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I think I recall this device being discussed a few years ago when it came out. It seems like a good idea, but if you are close to your limit, the accuracy margin, I think 10%, could give you a false sense of security. You're really better off going to a truck scale to be on the safe side.

If the accuracy margin is 10% I would think this is useless. However reading the reviews on Amazon people seem to give it good ratings. I’ve weighted my setup fully loaded so I know where I am. The last thing I need is another toy to monitor.
    Last edited by Clanker24; 11-20-2019 at 04:55 AM.
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clanker24 View Post
    If the accuracy margin is 10% I would think this is useless
    I agree. I cant find it anywhere on the web site, but I recall when it was first available the web site said it was 10%. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I agree. I cant find it anywhere on the web site, but I recall when it was first available the web site said it was 10%. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Go on amazon and check the reviews
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the system, it's great on paper. Yes, you can calculate those things IF you start with a known item (based on their VIN lookup), and all parts are identical (springs, all base weights, etc.). Anything that is not identical will throw the accuracy off.

It also wants you to be perfectly level and have you start at 50% acceleration. What is YOUR 50% compared to THEIR 50%? If your foot is different (where you believe 50% is) than theirs, the numbers, again, will be off.

Too many variables and too much cost when it's far easier and much more practical to go to a truck stop and get an accurate weight at a CAT Scale. Weigh your truck once without the trailer but configured for towing/travel. Then hitch up and weigh it again. All of your real-world, accurate measurements are there.

Look into the Weigh My Truck application to make the process as simple as possible.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-20-2019 at 05:47 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just rec'd my Haul Gauge today. Will calibrate it on Friday after the rain here stops. Leave on Monday for a trip to So. Calif. and will post the results.

Don
    2018 Reflection TT 315RLTS
    2014 F250 Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4
    50 gallon Titan fuel tank
    2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one and had very poor results. Was in contact with manufacturer several times trying to get it worked out but never could. Not only were weights way off , it also was not repeatable. In fairness to Haulguage they did give me a refund but said to keep the device and continue trying to get consistent results.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments. I'm still thinking while it might be useful to get ballpark weights or set up a WD hitch, there are just too many variables that can't be accounted for. Slight incline/decline, road surface, etc. Heck, even a dragging brake or low tire (increased rolling resistance) would throw off the weight reading. And as far as pin weight goes, did they factor in that truck springs are progressive? In other words the more a multi-pac leaf spring compresses, the stiffer it gets. I am, however, anxiously awaiting @Paul_Lori_Millie impression as well as @JDWHSKY report.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast