User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done unloaded about 40 times, but this thread was still a great read. Learn something new everyday! One thing I can add is that I always unload *prior* to setting the camper into the site. Flat road, parking lot, etc. trying to avoid wet grass or loose sand, etc.
    CJ & Jo
    RIP: Rocky & Rya
    2018 Momentum 327M, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins, BW Companion Slider, Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So I loaded the bike into the camper again. Had to load when it was drizzling out which I wasn't looking forward to. Bike went up the ramp no problem, but as soon as I tried to get the front tire in the chock, the rear tire hit the metal of the dovetail and started to slide the bike over. I finally managed to get it in the chock and centered. I promptly went out and bought some friction tape for those metal areas.

When taking the bike out at the camp ground, I had it in gear. I wasn't sure which gear would be best so I put it in 4th. Maybe 1st would had been better? It still managed to turn the engine over while in gear, going down the ramp. I stayed on the front brakes and it still skidded right down again. Since it was in gear, it was a slow manageable skid this time. I was not confident enough to roll it down the ramp with my foot on the rear brake. I assumed 6th would be harder to turn the engine over, but maybe I am backwards and 1st would had been harder?

It was cold again, about 40 degrees. I have to assume the bike tires turn to hard rubber when the temps get below 50 which is why this thing keeps skidding when I take it out.

I'll get this figured out eventually.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post
    So I loaded the bike into the camper again. Had to load when it was drizzling out which I wasn't looking forward to. Bike went up the ramp no problem, but as soon as I tried to get the front tire in the chock, the rear tire hit the metal of the dovetail and started to slide the bike over. I finally managed to get it in the chock and centered. I promptly went out and bought some friction tape for those metal areas.

When taking the bike out at the camp ground, I had it in gear. I wasn't sure which gear would be best so I put it in 4th. Maybe 1st would had been better? It still managed to turn the engine over while in gear, going down the ramp. I stayed on the front brakes and it still skidded right down again. Since it was in gear, it was a slow manageable skid this time. I was not confident enough to roll it down the ramp with my foot on the rear brake. I assumed 6th would be harder to turn the engine over, but maybe I am backwards and 1st would had been harder?

It was cold again, about 40 degrees. I have to assume the bike tires turn to hard rubber when the temps get below 50 which is why this thing keeps skidding when I take it out.

Roy
    1 st gear has worked for me. Just creep backwards. Go a little and stop by letting the clutch out. Do it again and again.
    Also; if you can, raise the front of your rig 3 or 5 inches to lessen the angle.
    KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve always unloaded my full size HD’s (from various trailers) with the engine running and in gear. That way you can feather the clutch to augment the front brake. It has the same effect as using the rear brake but a lot easier obviously.
    Last edited by Bungy; 10-26-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I load an Ultra Limited and a Street Glide in the TH. Unload both the same way. First gear, engine off. Feather the clutch going down. Have full control all the way backwards. If I ever feel like it might be getting out of control I just let the clutch out and stop. Then go again from there. Easy Peasy.
    Neil and Joyce Anderson
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 29G
    2010 F350SD Dually / 2019 Harley Ultra Limited (Mine) / 2016 Harley Street Glide (Wife's)
    Might get to retire someday if we ever stop spending money!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the input everyone. I will try 1st gear when I unload it next week. 4th gear was no match and turned the engine over!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 376th as well, and carry an '08 Streetglide.
    I too have noticed at times, whether it be humidity, condensation, or even just walking up the ramp after walking across dewy grass, it can get real slick, real quick.
    Here's a thought.......... I bought a roll of Tread Tape, or Traction tape. Hell, I don't remember what it's called. It's the black traction tape you can put on your steps so you don't slip. Get a roll of that, put a strip down each side, and then a strip or two down the middle of the ramp for the tires. Works great, even when wet.
    You can pick a roll of that up anywhere - Home Depot, Lowes........

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Took the bike out of the garage today. It's 70 out so lots of traction for the tires. However, I did keep it in first this time. huge difference. It would complete one stroke and stop the bike dead on the ramp. Much better than a higher gear and skidding down the ramp on the front tire! Thanks everyone.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took the bike out of the garage today. It's 70 out so lots of traction for the tires. However, I did keep it in first this time. huge difference. It would complete one stroke and stop the bike dead on the ramp. Much better than a higher gear and skidding down the ramp on the front tire! Thanks everyone.
    COOL
    If you use both the clutch and the front brake, there should be nothing but stoppage when you want it to stop.

I was wondering which toyhauler you have. You might want to fill in the signature part of your posting. Later, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a 320G

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12