User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I have an Andersen Ultimate I just slide it out of the bed and hang it on the wall of my garden shed.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyoder View Post
    Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone had ideas about the best way to store your 5th wheel hitch when its not attached the bed of my truck? I have a SuperSlider and of course does have some weight to it. Iv'e been thinking of ways to make it easier to load and unload from truck and also where I should keep it stored when not in use. Should it be kept inside my shop/garage or can it be left outside etc? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    I have a Curt 20k and even though when I pull it from the truck that I can separate the top from the bottom, it's such a hassle.

I have a manual chain hoist hanging in the middle of my garage (bolted through a combination of 2x4s and 2x6's and connected to the rafters) that I use to lift the entire hitch up and then back up under it and it drops almost exactly into the Ford Puck System on my truck. I also use it to load the generator into the truck as well as my small air compressor.

I went ahead and made a furniture dolly with 4" wheels that fits the spread of the legs on the hitch. So when I wheel it up, I have eye bolts already mounted on the hitch, run a chain through them and connect it to the hook and lift. Same thing in reverse when removing it.

I keep it stored in the garage against the wall on the dolly with a canvass cover over it during the winter months.

At age 70, I refuse to work any harder than I have to. I guess that old adage "work smart" is for us old guys!!!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Because I have an Andersen Ultimate I just slide it out of the bed and hang it on the wall of my garden shed.

My AU is on the peg board in the garage. They won`t understand.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goose box...nothing in the bed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
    My AU is on the peg board in the garage. They won`t understand.
    Ugh. I studied the AUH and pondered it extensively. I just could not convince myself that it was an acceptable design. I’d prefer a version that connects to the pucks, puts the weight on the pucks, is lockable, and uses an improved pin-box adapter that eliminates the chance of rotation by grabbing the sides of the pin-box.
    Last edited by backtrack2015; 11-27-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem I see with a non conventional 5th wheel hitch, is, Your truck can only tow a fifth wheel trailer that is set up with that kind of hitch. I use my truck to tow my brothers trailer at times.....
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do yourself a favor and get a GooseBox.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    Ugh. I studied the AUH and pondered it extensively. I just could not convince myself that it was an acceptable design. I’d prefer a version that connects to the pucks, puts the weight on the pucks, is lockable, and uses an improved pin-box adapter that eliminates the chance of rotation by grabbing the sides of the pin-box.
    The AUH installs directly into the OEM pucks in the truck -- the wife removes it and hangs it on the garage wall -- 35 lbs -- drove to the east coast and back (Chicago) with ZERO problems -- but I digress -- I think an electric winch attached to a suitable support is a good idea if you have a 250 lb hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like some of the others, I use a 1/4 ton chain hoist on the vertical joist in the front of the garage, then onto a harbor freight furniture dolly, stored in the garage when not in use.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We just leave our hitch attached in the bed of the truck. I think that's what many do.
    I'm not knocking your suggestion, but my brother has a B & W turnover ball slider in his Sierra that he has left torqued down for towing for the last two years. Two weeks ago he wanted to take it out so he could load the bed of his truck. I have a small hoist so he brought it over. With Michigan winters and salt, not to mention all of the car washes my anal brother has to do every week, It took over an our under the truck with a 4 pound hammer and a large beater bar to drive the very rusty lock pin out. Just sayin'.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast