User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hanger weld good or bad?

I recently had my rear leaf spring hanger bust open on my way back home. I found a mobile welder and also a hanger and bolt. The welder removed the broken hanger and welded the new one in place. I made it home safely two weeks ago and yesterday was under the rig to clean up the hanger, prime and paint it. I was shocked at the quality of the weld, sent the images to GD to confirm if good or bad weld. GD states “No that does not appear to be a very good weld; only looks like it was hit with heat on the one side and still see some cracks.” So now I am looking to once again have to leave my winter site and go find a good welder here in Florida. I did prime the hanger as rust does not sleep. Curiously, I sent these pictures to Lippert and they said the weld was fine and should be good enough to get me from Florida to Goshen for service. Who is right and what would you do?

A - leave it and head up to Goshen with it.

B - have a welder scrape off that weld and re weld existing hanger or replace hanger and start new?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B49B510E-DF3B-428C-B6D8-8F4D5F519040.jpeg 
Views:	149 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	23572

Name:	FAC312EB-77CB-42F1-BBB8-5418CD8397C2.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	23571
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been welding for 49 years. Been certified many times. Those are terrible welds. I used to weld really good. Now with my vision bad enough to where I need bifocals it's a lot tougher to do welding projects at home. Those welds look like the guy couldn't see what he was doing or worse yet didn't know what he was doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Been welding for 49 years. Been certified many times. Those are terrible welds. I used to weld really good. Now with my vision bad enough to where I need bifocals it's a lot tougher to do welding projects at home. Those welds look like the guy couldn't see what he was doing or worse yet didn't know what he was doing.
    Thank you for your input. What should I do at this point? I am not confident this will get me to Indiana without breaking off.

Vivian
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure why you're heading to Goshen but if it were me I would grind off all that sloppy welding and re-weld it. You might give a few RV dealers a call and see if they can recommend a good mobile welder or even a local shop that does RV work. You're taking a chance again but I'd wager that the next guy won't be that bad of a welder.
    The weld on the end of the hanger is not as bad as the weld on the side. It's very possible that it could hold up towing from FL to Goshen, but if it were me I'd be nervous the whole way.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Lippert said it was good...that should answer the question. Horrible looking weld. Option B would be my choice.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Not sure why you're heading to Goshen but if it were me I would grind off all that sloppy welding and re-weld it. You might give a few RV dealers a call and see if they can recommend a good mobile welder or even a local shop that does RV work. You're taking a chance again but I'd wager that the next guy won't be that bad of a welder.
    The weld on the end of the hanger is not as bad as the weld on the side. It's very possible that it could hold up towing from FL to Goshen, but if it were me I'd be nervous the whole way.
    Heading to GD Headquarters for slide repair in June. I have some time to look for someone locally, just a PITA now that I am set up for the winter. For sure I want to resolve this and the more I think about it the idea of listening to Lippert's suggestion just makes me very nervous as well.

So scrape off old weld and reweld. Not start over with a new hanger welded on?
    Last edited by Beachcamper; 11-20-2019 at 05:24 PM.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a good truck suspension shop in your area. They can remove that poop, bend a new mount and weld it into place.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hangers are cheap. The welds need ground out to re-weld. May as well just remove it and go new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to get down there to wire brush and clean up the welds as best I could for a better evaluation. Looks like outside and rear facing has a crust on the weld. Might be a temperature issue? I know nothing of welding unfortunately but I am learning.

Name:	6EBA1E5A-781D-4945-92F5-E69A81628823.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	23578

Name:	6914D6A8-6B6F-495D-B145-530A8EC25B3A.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	23580

Name:	84C10822-4306-40BD-BB3B-8B7D9DEFDB90.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	23581
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BFBF8E97-FCA3-4106-BAF2-B56E89376149.jpeg  
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you talked with Lippert? They have mobile units in different areas of the country.
    Patrick & Marla with Boomer and Sooner

2007 Chev 2500 Allison Duramax
    2014 Solitude 368RD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast