User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    Those welds kinda look like they were stick-welded out of position...
    I noticed that same thing but it is a result of him welding not at the bottom of the 2 x 2 but at the bottom of the original hanger top. I posted a picture of that earlier in this thread. Yes he cleaned it up well before doing so and it is stick welded which is what he told me.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick Welding out of position and especially overhead is hard to do and made to look good! The weld is suspect, looks like a cold (puddle) weld. Which normally doesn’t have proper heat penetration to join the two parts.

I like the idea suggested of a CERTIFIED mobile welder. He can grind the existing welds and use DC straight polarity. This will do a 60% penetration to melt out the existing weld and rejoin the parts. A good overhead capable MIG welder will work too but does less penetration (50% or less).

My experience is as a certified structural and aviation welder in gas, stick, AC & DC, MIG, TIG and robotic welding for over 50 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom&Trish View Post
    Stick Welding out of position and especially overhead is hard to do and made to look good! The weld is suspect, looks like a cold (puddle) weld. Which normally doesn’t have proper heat penetration to join the two parts.

I like the idea suggested of a CERTIFIED mobile welder. He can grind the existing welds and use DC straight polarity. This will do a 60% penetration to melt out the existing weld and rejoin the parts. A good overhead capable MIG welder will work too but does less penetration (50% or less).

My experience is as a certified structural and aviation welder in gas, stick, AC & DC, MIG, TIG and robotic welding for over 50 years.
    Tom, I see you are in FL and a certified welder. Can you recommend anyone in Florida that I can bring my rig to on way north next May? The company I used was a certified mobile welder for fleet services in Lakeland. As posted above, option is to get it done in Indiana. Will be on highways staying in campgrounds close to highway.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone, good news is the badly welded hanger did make it to Lippert facility in Goshen. I bought a telescoping inspection mirror to check suspension linkages at every stop. I love this new gadget! It makes checking back side of hangers, tires so much easier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had Lippert do an axle retro, basically stiffen that entire axle area. New V Clips at each hanger and welded 2 x 2 spans at each hanger. Got new equalizers as the incident with the busted hanger damaged the equalizer on that side and after 8k miles it was time. They offer an upgrade shackle and wet bolt kit and all the rest got new wet bolts, bushings. I did not need new springs at this time so did not get them. Had annual bearing maintenance done and replaced one that had evidence of water intrusion. I now feel better about heading down the road and maybe get to Alaska.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA7709F9-8923-4B66-B8E7-71077ACF09BE.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	27055

Name:	3010E874-21F5-477C-95ED-8ED4FBED2C02.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	27056

Name:	E087A24E-443D-4FFB-8404-8F570E13900B.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	27057

Name:	811FBEC0-42A6-4EA9-980D-97577216C3B0.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	27058
    Last edited by Beachcamper; 06-07-2020 at 06:39 AM.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So glad you got the axles fixed. Guess that welders welds where good enough to make it to Lippert shop. Sure looked like the welds didn’t have much penetration from the pictures!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom&Trish View Post
    So glad you got the axles fixed. Guess that welders welds where good enough to make it to Lippert shop. Sure looked like the welds didn’t have much penetration from the pictures!
    Tom, it was a nerve wrecking ride up here from south Florida. I did book pull through sites only close to interstate for the majority of stops. Only did 300 miles per day and stopped every 150 to check hanger. It never even budged, it was on there pretty good, thankfully.

Vivian
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234