User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zion to Bryce road conditions

Zion-Mt. Carmel Tunnel and Highway. Looking for recent information on access with smaller reflection 5th wheel (27RL) and double cab standard bed truck. I have searched this site and have the information from the park service regarding tunnel access but would like first hand driving experience especially on the switch backs coming east out of Zion.We have driven some pretty hairy switchbacks out west in the past and our route to Bryce appears most direct and interesting this way. Thanks for your input
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    Zion-Mt. Carmel Tunnel and Highway. Looking for recent information on access with smaller reflection 5th wheel (27RL) and double cab standard bed truck. I have searched this site and have the information from the park service regarding tunnel access but would like first hand driving experience especially on the switch backs coming east out of Zion.We have driven some pretty hairy switchbacks out west in the past and our route to Bryce appears most direct and interesting this way. Thanks for your input
    This may not be quite what you are looking for but I wanted to share this.

We drove the road HWY 9 from Zion to Bryce last May to go hiking in Bryce. We spent a week hiking in Zion and drove the road up to and through the tunnel another time as well. We did not pull an RV just drove a Honda Minivan.

The several switch backs going up to the tunnel from Zion heading east are pretty sharp in a few areas. However, there is room to swing wide as needed. The few switch backs east of the tunnel were not as severe and again, had room to maneuver. The road is good and seemed relatively new with shoulders or pull off areas in a number of areas. Depending on your level of comfort, I think most RVrs would have no concern east of the tunnel........with a little more diligence needed west of the tunnel, however.

If you read the restrictions and requirements on the Zion site you as you shared, you have that information relative to the important dimensions. I would also call the Park and talk with a ranger who can help with you questions and valid concerns. Most we talked with were very helpful and knowledgeable. There are also a number of videos out on the web and looking at these will give you a good visual.

Paul @Poppy's 5th Wheel has driven/pulled the Zion area a number of times over the years as I recall. Suggest PMing Paul and solicit his feedback if he does not respond to this thread.

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 11-21-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Paul @Poppy's 5th Wheel has driven/pulled the Zion area a number of times over the years as I recall. Suggest PMing Paul and solicit his feedback if he does not respond to this thread.

Dan
    We do in fact frequent Zion but have never towed our 5th wheels through the park east of the Watchman however we have driven it many times with the truck and we have driven through with our Class C towing a motorcycle trailer. The drive isn't bad and if it weren't for the tunnel restrictions, I would tow it without worry.

Depending on where we are going after visiting Zion, we either go north or south and then head east.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan and Paul,
    Thanks for your insightful replies. Dan I don't know why I didn't think of Youtube, videos there are reassuring regarding the switchbacks. We've certainly driven tighter. Likewise the tunnel certainly has a pucker factors I'm 12'8 at the front AC. Need to verify my overall length but guestimated at 45 feet so think I should be good. certainly a more interesting ride than going around on I-15. Nice to here from those that have been there and know what it takes.
    Thanks again.

Dave
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 13' 6" there was no way for us to go through the tunnel on 9. Other than the traffic and NP restrictions I would take a TT up that road, we saw several. It's also interesting to watch them work that tunnel, how they stop traffic, close off a lane etc. They took a tape measure out and measured our Chevy Dually before they let us in. I am not sure that route actually saves anytime.

We had to go around. So I looked at highway 14, my mountain route software says: "8% grade, 25mph curves, not recomended for semi-trucks", so we didn't take that road. I drove a couple of years later and would pull the Momentum over it, but it would be a tough pull.

My trucker GPS at the time had tunnel information in it so it routed me all the way up 15 to I-70 then back down 89 then told me I couldn't get to Bryce because of the tunnel on highway 12. Hmmmm!

I cutover on 20, east side was steep, but exhaust brakes are wonderful things so had no problem. The tunnel on 12 just east of 89 was 13' 6" on the side, but higher in the middle, so I had no problem with it. We went on over to Escalante, there were some short but very steep hills to go over (10%??). Decided the road north of Escalante to Boulder was just too much, about 4 miles of 14% grade.

It's beautiful country, enjoy your travels.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went from Zion to Bryce via 59/389 at Hurricane to 89A to 89 up to 12 to 63 into Bryce. Not much for grades ( other than on 9 coming back from Zion and starting up 59 at Hurricane), tunnels aren’t a problem.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbeard View Post
    We went from Zion to Bryce via 59/389 at Hurricane to 89A to 89 up to 12 to 63 into Bryce. Not much for grades ( other than on 9 coming back from Zion and starting up 59 at Hurricane), tunnels aren’t a problem.
    That or I15 to20 will be our backup plan. As it is we will be going into Zion from the North Rim via 389. From you tube views and the park info will likely exitZion via 9 and the tunnel.

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    At 13' 6" there was no way for us to go through the tunnel on 9. Other than the traffic and NP restrictions I would take a TT up that road, we saw several. It's also interesting to watch them work that tunnel, how they stop traffic, close off a lane etc. They took a tape measure out and measured our Chevy Dually before they let us in. I am not sure that route actually saves anytime.

We had to go around. So I looked at highway 14, my mountain route software says: "8% grade, 25mph curves, not recomended for semi-trucks", so we didn't take that road. I drove a couple of years later and would pull the Momentum over it, but it would be a tough pull.

My trucker GPS at the time had tunnel information in it so it routed me all the way up 15 to I-70 then back down 89 then told me I couldn't get to Bryce because of the tunnel on highway 12. Hmmmm!

I cutover on 20, east side was steep, but exhaust brakes are wonderful things so had no problem. The tunnel on 12 just east of 89 was 13' 6" on the side, but higher in the middle, so I had no problem with it. We went on over to Escalante, there were some short but very steep hills to go over (10%??). Decided the road north of Escalante to Boulder was just too much, about 4 miles of 14% grade.

It's beautiful country, enjoy your travels.
    Thanks for the reply. We will enjoy and think the tunnel will be “fun “, though we will check with the locals and the rangers.

Now you’ve got me concerned about the route to Boulder (Capital Reef). Lighter rig but it’s a gas truck.

Dave

2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they charge ($15?) for oversize vehicles. They shut the tunnel down and allow one way traffic only. They hold you (and everyone behind you) until the tunnel is cleared, then take you (and those behind you) through the tunnel down the middle behind a pilot car. After that group is through, they open the tunnel to two way traffic until the next oversize vehicle come along (in either direction).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    I think they charge ($15?) for oversize vehicles. They shut the tunnel down and allow one way traffic only. They hold you (and everyone behind you) until the tunnel is cleared, then take you (and those behind you) through the tunnel down the middle behind a pilot car. After that group is through, they open the tunnel to two way traffic until the next oversize vehicle come along (in either direction).

Chris
    That’s my understanding, and I fit the dimension requirements.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Dave

2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast