User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    Now you’ve got me concerned about the route to Boulder (Capital Reef).
    Dave
    I use the Mountain Directory to help plan routes that are safe for my 20,000 lb trailer. It is not all encompassing, but gives you a general idea of what you are facing. A friend of mine has the newer phone app version and likes it.

If you are very familiar with mountain driving then the Escalante to Boulder road is doable. The road is narrow, switchbacks, and steep sections. Really fun on the motorcycle.

It was coming back from Escalante to Bryce where I think I over revved the engine on my Chevy. Less than a quarter mile of 10-12% grade, undocumented because it is so short. But I forgot to put the exhaust brake on, thinking it was on I just coasted down that short section and suddenly realized the engine rpm was way too high, slammed on the brakes, but I think I was too late. Went on over through Bryce down 89 to Kanab. Engine light came on. About 16 miles east of Kanab the truck went into limp mode. After being in Kanab a month we had a new engine in the truck.

That's one of the worst case scenarios. Mostly you just warm your brakes up a bunch or over heat your engine on the climbs. Those things have to be managed driving those hill.

I am probably over playing this a bit. Most people that tow have some experience on steep grades. But it is different than driving the steep grades in the eastern US. I am not trying to deter you, I just want you to be aware of what you are getting into.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I use the Mountain Directory to help plan routes that are safe for my 20,000 lb trailer. It is not all encompassing, but gives you a general idea of what you are facing. A friend of mine has the newer phone app version and likes it.

If you are very familiar with mountain driving then the Escalante to Boulder road is doable. The road is narrow, switchbacks, and steep sections. Really fun on the motorcycle.

It was coming back from Escalante to Bryce where I think I over revved the engine on my Chevy. Less than a quarter mile of 10-12% grade, undocumented because it is so short. But I forgot to put the exhaust brake on, thinking it was on I just coasted down that short section and suddenly realized the engine rpm was way too high, slammed on the brakes, but I think I was too late. Went on over through Bryce down 89 to Kanab. Engine light came on. About 16 miles east of Kanab the truck went into limp mode. After being in Kanab a month we had a new engine in the truck.

That's one of the worst case scenarios. Mostly you just warm your brakes up a bunch or over heat your engine on the climbs. Those things have to be managed driving those hill.

I am probably over playing this a bit. Most people that tow have some experience on steep grades. But it is different than driving the steep grades in the eastern US. I am not trying to deter you, I just want you to be aware of what you are getting into.
    Not real worried we towed east coast to west coast last year including back and forth across the continental divide a couple time. The northern 2 lane route across New Mexico and Arizona, forget the route #, but got up over 10,000 ft. Surprised how well the gas truck engine and tow haul mode performed. Like you said the key is to anticipate and take it easy both up and down.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed my 337 Reflection that route in September and had no problem driving slow. What a beautiful drive but am sure the road will be closed now? I tow with a 2017 F350 Power Stroke.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinRosenthal View Post
    I towed my 337 Reflection that route in September and had no problem driving slow. What a beautiful drive but am sure the road will be closed now? I tow with a 2017 F350 Power Stroke.
    Thanks, we'll be there next Mayso hopefully will be passable by then.
    Dave
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I had the same problem with my F350. Bought a scanner and got an Exhaust filter not completed regenerating. Did some research and found that the Exhaust filter will not regenerate in towing mode. Solution was to drive for about 30 miles above 2000 RPM which was easy when driving in that area. Problem solved and even got a message Regeneration complete.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, we'll be there next May so hopefully will be passable by then.
    Dave
    I live 40 miles from Zion and love camping throughout the region. The switchbacks up to the tunnel and the area until you get to the East exit of the park are best enjoyed with your TV unhitched. Once you get past the east entrance there's not a lot special about the scenery compared to the other, non-tunnel, routes. Going North is great for just having a smooth trip to Bryce (Panguitch can be a cute pitstop). Going South, you have options like Pipe Springs National Monument, the town of Kanab, and Pink Coral Sand Dunes to visit if you want. South is more likely to be windy than North. South also gives you the option of visiting the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

We've done Highway 12 towards Boulder and Capital Reef twice with our TT, and wouldn't hesitate with our Solitude. Take your time and concentrate, the speed limits are reasonable in that area. If you're impeding someone, it's because they want to go much faster than the limit. Hell's Backbone Grill outside Boulder has the absolute best food you'll find in the middle of nowhere, and way better than typical for everywhere well populated.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
    I live 40 miles from Zion and love camping throughout the region. The switchbacks up to the tunnel and the area until you get to the East exit of the park are best enjoyed with your TV unhitched. Once you get past the east entrance there's not a lot special about the scenery compared to the other, non-tunnel, routes. Going North is great for just having a smooth trip to Bryce (Panguitch can be a cute pitstop). Going South, you have options like Pipe Springs National Monument, the town of Kanab, and Pink Coral Sand Dunes to visit if you want. South is more likely to be windy than North. South also gives you the option of visiting the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

We've done Highway 12 towards Boulder and Capital Reef twice with our TT, and wouldn't hesitate with our Solitude. Take your time and concentrate, the speed limits are reasonable in that area. If you're impeding someone, it's because they want to go much faster than the limit. Hell's Backbone Grill outside Boulder has the absolute best food you'll find in the middle of nowhere, and way better than typical for everywhere well populated.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Thanks for the feedback. We will be coming to Zion from the North Rim and departing to Bryce. We will likely go via the tunnel based on all the feedback, review of YouTube video, our dimensions and prior experience.

2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. We will be coming to Zion from the North Rim and departing to Bryce. We will likely go via the tunnel based on all the feedback, review of YouTube video, our dimensions and prior experience.

East side of the park is where you are most likely to spot Desert Bighorn Mountain Sheep. But it is nearly impossible to stop and enjoy them if you're towing. North Rim has a bison herd that is often near the entrance.

If anyone in your party has a sweet tooth, stop at the Jacob Lake Inn for their cookies. They are special. It will be on your route from North Rim to Zion.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the weather. We were there from Tuesday (11/26) until yesterday (12/1). We noticed a couple of different days that the tunnel was closed due to icy conditions, especially early in the day. The road is nice and wide and like has been mentioned above the curves have plenty of room to make the turn. Watch for us cyclists. We are not allowed in the tunnel but like the challenge of the climb from the junction to the tunnel. There are also those few cars that don't seem to understand parking out of the way of traffic. Don't watch the deer, there are a lot of them and they don't fear vehicles or people so they don't move out of your way, like the bison in Yellowstone. Some of the bucks have impressive racks and can be a distraction. There is also a lot more snow on the East side (higher elevation) but the roads are clear but wet in the afternoon which will make them icy from late evening to mid-morning. The park service tries to keep them safe but be diligent on the road conditions.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSimon View Post
    Check the weather. We were there from Tuesday (11/26) until yesterday (12/1). We noticed a couple of different days that the tunnel was closed due to icy conditions, especially early in the day. The road is nice and wide and like has been mentioned above the curves have plenty of room to make the turn. Watch for us cyclists. We are not allowed in the tunnel but like the challenge of the climb from the junction to the tunnel. There are also those few cars that don't seem to understand parking out of the way of traffic. Don't watch the deer, there are a lot of them and they don't fear vehicles or people so they don't move out of your way, like the bison in Yellowstone. Some of the bucks have impressive racks and can be a distraction. There is also a lot more snow on the East side (higher elevation) but the roads are clear but wet in the afternoon which will make them icy from late evening to mid-morning. The park service tries to keep them safe but be diligent on the road conditions.
    Hoping for better weather conditions when we’re there mid May next year.

2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12