User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a problem having to breathe the soot and unburned fuel along with benzenes released without def and a particulate filter among other things. If deleting were legal I'd still not like it but couldn't complain. But it is illegal by federal law and was put in place to prevent your want for more power to affect other's health.

Rant off.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    You get more soot because the filter that filters soot is gone. It doesn't have to do entirely with the tune. Dirty tunes will increase soot, but the DPF is what keeps it gone. Hence more regens with dirty tunes. If you change your gears the only thing your accomplishing is lowering your fuel mileage. Diesels are made to lug. That's their torque band. If you want to eliminate soot, you'll have to get a DPF again.
    I understand how the def concept works. Changing gears will put less load on the engine, especially from a stop. The gear reduction will actually let the engine work more efficiently and allow the transmission to work better. It's no different than trying to ride your bicycle up the steep hill while remaining on the largest cog. You will burn a lot more calories trying to muscle up the hill in the wrong gear vs dropping to the middle cog and running a more efficient gear reduction. RPM makes less difference on fuel mile compared to the amount of turbo boost.

When the engine is working more efficiently by using correct gear reduction then there will be less unburned fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    I have a problem having to breathe the soot and unburned fuel along with benzenes released without def and a particulate filter among other things. If deleting were legal I'd still not like it but couldn't complain. But it is illegal by federal law and was put in place to prevent your want for more power to affect other's health.

Rant off.
    A factory tune before DEF came into affect really produced little to no soot, on a properly running engine. Deleting a truck doesn't automatically equate to sucking in soot. It's all in the tune. When my truck is under load/towing there is zero visual soot coming out. That fuel is being converted to energy vs out the tail pipe. When I have no trailer, it's more noticeable since the engine is putting fuel in waiting for a load that never shows up. I keep the tune turned down while in traffic so I am not smoking people out like I see some hillbillys do. The gear change will help by reducing initial load to the engine from a light.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but your comment contradicts itself. Your saying you get more soot because there's no load demand with no trailer, "When I have no trailer, it's more noticeable since the engine is putting fuel in waiting for a load that never shows up." but you want to put taller gears in it to reduce the load.

Again, diesels want to be loaded. With a taller gears you're getting out of the torque band. It's your truck and I'm not going to tell you what to do, but taller gears are going to help you in the long run. If your only concern is soot either find a cleaner tune or put the DPF back on.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Sorry, but your comment contradicts itself. Your saying you get more soot because there's no load demand with no trailer, "When I have no trailer, it's more noticeable since the engine is putting fuel in waiting for a load that never shows up." but you want to put taller gears in it to reduce the load.

Again, diesels want to be loaded. With a taller gears you're getting out of the torque band. It's your truck and I'm not going to tell you what to do, but taller gears are going to help you in the long run. If your only concern is soot either find a cleaner tune or put the DPF back on.
    You're right, who needs 4.10s for towing 16K lbs. I'll stick with my 3.42s. /sarcasm

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your vehicle rating for those 3.42. Yeah..Exactly.

2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you get into your "momentum soon" and start hauling 16K+ lbs through the mountains, then we can have a conversation on gears and MPGs. Until then, 3.42s were adequate for my little 8K lb travel trailer too. There's a reason 3.42s aren't even offered on Ram 2500/3500s anymore. They don't work that great when towing and put undue stress on the transmissions, especially OD gears. Standard is now 3.73 and they have also bumped up the tow rating as well.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'd be very interested on the input. Maybe we can compare it to the 80k lbs I frequently moved.

2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK... you are towing 80K with your pickup truck? Let's try not to mess this thread up with nonsense. Thanks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy your soot producer or your fuel burner...

2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post
    OK... you are towing 80K with your pickup truck? Let's try not to mess this thread up with nonsense. Thanks.
    40K I have pulled before.....80K, stretches believe, But on flat HWY, I could see it......
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast