Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Satellite TV hook up question

My (new to me) 2018 Reflection 315 RLTS TT arrived today and have I begun the move from my diesel pusher. The question I have right now (there will be more) is how do I connect my tripod mounted DirecTV dish with 2 output leads to the system over the TV. My DirecTV box has 2 tuner inputs but I only see 1 satellite output in the cabinet.
    Jerry and Jack (Standard Schnauzer)

Currently in Benson, AZ

2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you connect 2 feeds with your previous RV (diesel pusher?)? Maybe do it the same way?

Maybe feed 1 input via sat connection and other feed via cable connection (which may require some modifications to the antenna/cable switch connections).

I’m not sure about the Reflection but my Solitude has separate sat feeds to living room TV and bedroom TV. But, again, not sure how you use the 2 feeds (dual tuner/recorder receiver or multiple receivers).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The previous RV had 2 separate satellite exterior connections which ended in 2 lines in the cabinet where the receiver was located. The receiver had an HDMI connection to the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    How did you connect 2 feeds with your previous RV (diesel pusher?)? Maybe do it the same way?

Currently in Benson, AZ

2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need two coax runs, you'll have to do some modifying and finagling. All of the portable satellite antennas require only one coax run and that's how the towables are set up. I had bad cable and/or connections to the living room TV in our Reflection so I installed my own coax input with a through-hull in the bottom of the slide underneath the entertainment center. Perhaps you could do the same with two inputs.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound 7 View Post
    The previous RV had 2 separate satellite exterior connections which ended in 2 lines in the cabinet where the receiver was located. The receiver had an HDMI connection to the TV.
    If the Reflection has a dedicated sat input and cable input to the main TV use the sat input for one input and then use the cable input as the second input. If you have trouble with getting a good feed into the receiver going through the cable input via the cable/antenna switch you'll have to remove the cable input to that switch and then send it directly to the sat receiver's input.

If no dedicated feed for sat and cable then Rockhound7 likely has the solution.
    Larry KE4DMG

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the SWM dish or a regular dish? If SWM, you would only need one wire to the receiver, even if it has two inputs.
    John and Denise; Houma, LA
    2017 Momentum 395M
    2016 Chevrolet K3500 DRW Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SWM dish?

To be honest, I have no idea what an SWM dish is. But my next door neighbor just went from DirecTV to Dish and he gave me his HD single wire output dish. Due to all the rain, I haven't connected it yet. I don't have HD so I don't know if it will work or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jneubig View Post
    Do you have the SWM dish or a regular dish? If SWM, you would only need one wire to the receiver, even if it has two inputs.

Currently in Benson, AZ

2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The single wire output should be the SWM dish. You will need a power inserter for the LNB on the dish and the correct splitter if using more than one receiver. If you have just the one receiver, you won't need a splitter. You say you don't have HD. Which receiver are you using? Should be a model number sticker on it somewhere.
    John and Denise; Houma, LA
    2017 Momentum 395M
    2016 Chevrolet K3500 DRW Diesel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As noted, your best bet would be to convert your existing LNB (that is the thing at the end of the arm on your dish) to the SWM (single wire multiswitch) LNB. However, if you have an old non HD Direct TV receiver, it may not work with the SWM. You can get everything you need from Solid Signal.

Your neighbor's dish should work if you have a SWM compatible receiver. You will need a power inserter and a SWM splitter if you have more than one receiver.

We purchased a SWM satellite dish from Solid Signal for abut $65. We don't use the tripod since our dish is mounted on a pole outside the coach. One coax to a SWM splitter and we use two Direct TV receivers with ease. You will need a power supply unless you get one of the newer receivers (like the HR54, HR44) which provide the power to the LNB.....no additional power supply needed.
    Last edited by KirbyRVA; 11-28-2019 at 06:30 AM.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for SWM start here.

Then review this.

Then check to see if your receiver(s) are SWM compatible. Look here.

Confused yet? Scared? Follow my recommendation to use the dedicated sat input for input one and get behind the antenna/coax switch to reroute the cable input as input 2 to your receiver so you can run as you did before. Maybe use an A/B switch for the coax input to route to either the receiver or to the antenna/cable switch.

Good luck. Happy Thanksgiving.

Here are some examples of connections.
    Larry KE4DMG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast