User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pro-Flex Sealant Issue

When it was still warm, there were a few vertical surfaces that I resealed with Pro-Flex Clear sealant. I scrapped the old pealing silicone off with a plastic razor and remover, then clean and dried the area and applied Pro-Flex. Fast forward a couple months, and it's coming up in at least 1 seam (see pic). Is Pro-Flex not good for laminate surfaces, or am I missing something? If not Pro-Flex, then what should be used that has better life than silicone?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	23582
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    When it was still warm, there were a few vertical surfaces that I resealed with Pro-Flex Clear sealant. I scrapped the old pealing silicone off with a plastic razor and remover, then clean and dried the area and applied Pro-Flex. Fast forward a couple months, and it's coming up in at least 1 seam (see pic). Is Pro-Flex not good for laminate surfaces, or am I missing something? If not Pro-Flex, then what should be used that has better life than silicone?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	23582
    The proflex will not stick to the silicone residue. I painstakingly cleaned the silicone off of the fridge vents and used Lexel. I have areas now after 6 weeks that are coming up too. The silicone residue is really difficult to get off and most places don't sell anything that really takes it off. I an going to try to use a really fine sandpaper liek 2000 grit to prep the width of the sealant seal to get the silicone residue off and see how that works. Simple green usually works well too and will followup with that for final cleaning.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mineral Spirits works pretty well at removing silicone.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also a final wipedown with denatured alchohol cleans off any left over residue from other cleaners or solvents.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Folks, you have to use the right solvents for prep!

As a guy coming from a strong background in automotive finishes having worked in a body shop in my youth and been an extreme enthusiast all my life building and restoring cars, let me say it's all about the preparation. Silicone is a bear to deal with because it leaves behind a residue that is not easily cut. Yes, mineral spirits will soften and help remove cured silicone but it will not strip the film residue. Isopropyl will not either. Sanding with tooth your substrate, but not remove the film unless you take it down to an alarming level. What you want to do is remove the silicone with mineral spirits, NOT ODORLESS, and let it flash COMPLETELY off. After that use need to wipe down with automotive Prep-Sol and a lint free cloth. I recommend 3 wipe downs using a new cloth each time and letting the Prep-Sol flash off between each. You don't want to smear the residue over a larger area, you're cutting it and removing on those cloths! If you see any chalky or dull film, repeat till gone. Can apply the non-silcone sealant after that. Do note thick application of Pro-Flex is a no-no. The outermost will skin and cure faster than the core, and then when the thick core finally cures it shrinks. That shrinkage force pulls the outer layer away from the surface.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder why GD would use silicone? My last RV had zero silicone and the windows were not caulked at all.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold