User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone order a Tesla Cybertruck yet?

I’m kidding. The reveal was last night and I’m still not sure the thing isn’t a hoax. It certainly has a unique design (unibody shaped like a bridge truss) and a few interesting features (stainless steel body, integrated tonneau, ramp tailgate). I’ll admit it isn’t what i hoped for but maybe I’m too traditional.

I’m curious how others feel about it. It looks usable for TTs but is likely not suitable for fifth-wheels.
    Last edited by backtrack2015; 11-22-2019 at 06:41 AM.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is right out of a MadMax movie. Almost expect the drivers door to open and R2D2 to hop out.
    I’m more interested in the mechanicals and real world battery capacity rather tyen if the door can take a swing from a sledge hammer or if the windows will withstand a metal ball being thrown at them(apparently they can’t).
    At this point it appears to be more marketing hyperbole then a practical roadworthy vehicle.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want one.

I’m not too keen on the look of it, but as Jerry McGuire says “you had me at truck with zero emissions.”
    Jim

2017 F-250 6.7L Fx4 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab “Daisy”
    using Blue Ox Swaypro 1500S towing
    2018 Imagine 2800BH “River”
    ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000
    Champion 3400w Dual-Fuel Inverter Generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirugger View Post
    ...”you had me at truck with zero emissions.”
    When the electricity comes from non-hydrocarbon sources of course.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which hitch would be appropriate to tow my Solitude?
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reserved one. I'm not sure it will be a suitable replacement for our normal truck, but we will find out. Could be I just use it as a commuter. Payload is great (3500 lb), towing capacity is adequate (10k for my model), range is iffy (300mi). I figure when towing we might get half that. Not sure there are superchargers that frequently where I live and want to take the trailer. I suppose we would have to unhitch each time to reach them too.

I have a while to think about it before committing. I assume the final product will be a bit different -- like with external mirrors and windshield wipers for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    Absolutely! The sooner, the better! ;-)
    Jim

2017 F-250 6.7L Fx4 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab “Daisy”
    using Blue Ox Swaypro 1500S towing
    2018 Imagine 2800BH “River”
    ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000
    Champion 3400w Dual-Fuel Inverter Generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    Not for me I prefer the traditional appearance and range of my truck. It is difficult to escape fossil fuels completely in the electric vehicle endeavor. The lithium, cobalt and other ingredients for the batteries must be mined and transported. There is also the fact that the majority of the electricity generated in the US is from coal or natural gas fired power plants. The batteries seem to be holding up well for most drivers but are expensive if replacement is necessary. Electric vehicles are an option for certain drivers and it will be interesting to watch the technology develop. There is a ton of R&D in the works for this vehicle segment with many advancements in range, capability, charging time, etc.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The range says 300 miles or 700 miles depending upon whether you want the two motors and more towing capacity.

My guess is that these mileage figures are for NOT towing. Put a trailer behind it and you will probably be lucky to get half that. Not practical at all for towing
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest you take a look at what the 'real world' Supercharging stations look like before you plan to do too much towing with that thing. Quite a few of them are stalls (think parking spot), perfectly fine for a car and a truck by itself. But if I had to unhitch every time I run out of go-juice, the allure is going to die very quickly. And I am firmly in the camp that believes the ranges will decrease more than 50% towing. If the truck weighs 4500 lbs, though is probably much heavier, and goes 500 miles, blowing the weight up to 10,000 lbs (small trailer) or more is going to take it's toll on the electrics. No thanks.

As for the truck itself, other than towing - it looks like a truck more competitive with the light-duty trucks such as Ridgeline, Colorado, Ranger. Those performance specs are quite impressive and the weight of those batteries seem to give it good roadholding. I don't see Ford or GM quivering over this thing unless they are really going off the rails with the electric F-150 and Silverado. Maybe the Rivian will be a more trucklike competitor.

As for the aesthetics, it is just plan fugly. Looks like something hand-drawn by a kindergartner. And Tesla has a long history of over-promising. It's not for me. Go ahead be a pioneer, they are the ones with the arrows in their backs.
    Bruce and Lynn - South Central PA
    2016 F-350 Lariat Crew - 6.7L PS, 4WD, SRW, LWB
    B & W Companion
    2019 Relection 303RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast