User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Freighter has electric box trucks on the road right now, and they’re pretty beefy.
    I bet they could easily tow my rig a couple hundred miles.
    Maybe I’ll get one instead of waiting for a Tesla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Granted, most of us will be taking some long trips from time-to-time, but how often and how far have you taken those long trips in the past few years? And, in between those long trips, how far did you travel on your short trips (and how often)? And when you traveled on those long trips, what was your typical travel day? How many miles did you run each day? Did you stop for lunch, how long was lunch?

No one said you had to travel at 50 mph to get the range out of your Electric Vehicle. The Tesla Semi has a range of 500 miles with an 80,000 lb load, I am sure some of the lessons learned from the Tesla Semi in relation to towing/hauling have made their way into the Tesla Cyber Truck and that range reduction will be minimized when towing.
    So I guess the answer is that RV’ers will need to 2 trucks; one electric for trips shorter than 200 miles and another to go more than that. Or just have the electric and plan on taking a week to go 1000 miles; 200 a day. Maybe the greenies will subsidize us RV’ers to entice out of our bad old fossil burners into the electrics(never mind the power generation plants use fossil fuel to produce that “clean” electricity).
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I'm not buying one, but I suspect some people will. How many trucks do you see roll by without a hitch on them? How many F450s that aren't even setup to GN or 5er tow? A lot of people drive trucks and almost never use the capacity of the truck, they just want "a truck". It's their choice, of course, I think it's a little silly, but, more power to them. And that crowd, which IMHO, is a big market, will happily buy an electric "truck". They're not towing anything anyway, and the 1X a year they go to Lowes to buy a 2x4, the "cybertruck" will be just fine.

People who actually use the "truck", well, I think it's already been said here. It's not even close to appropriate for what a lot of us use our trucks for. Towing heavy? Not if you're going far! Tomorrow morning I'm taking a tractor in for service, it's loaded in my trailer right now. 45 miles each way, about 10K behind the truck, mountain roads and relatively high speed (2 lane country road). Think I'd make it? Not entirely sure I would, but I know I'd be sweating right now thinking about it, that's for sure. And towing a 5er? LOL, yeah, right, let me know how that goes.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    How far do you really go when you take the camper out? I'm guessing that most campers only travel 2 to 3 hours away from home for most of their camping trips. A two to three hour drive is well within the anticipated 250 mile range of an Electric Truck when towing.
    Our favorite weekend campground is 130mi one way and there are no chargers between home and there and no power at the campground. The closest is maybe 50 miles. So if I get the 250-mile version, that gives 125mi range towing. A supercharger only charges to 80% so that's an even 100mi after the first charge. This is assuming you have superchargers exactly where you need them. I could barely make the close 50-mile campground and get home.

To be fair a lot of the people who say the "cybertruck won't ever work as a truck and I'll keep my F150 'til I die" seem to me like the kind who probably said they'd keep their horse because the Model T wouldn't do everything the horse would exactly the same way.
    Last edited by DarthMuffin; 12-05-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look, the Tesla 5th wheel...not sure it's real though.

https://insideevs.com/news/386402/te...l-trailer/amp/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191206-180902_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	23769

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone forgot a lot of details in their modeling.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123