Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question on brake wire routing

My annual inspection by my tech revealed very uneven trailer brake wear on my Reflection 2017 26RL. One brake was shot and others were 50%. I opted for a complete brake job.
    I looked under the trailer at the wheels after I got it home. I noticed that the wires to the brakes on the off-curb (driver's side) wheels were routed over the top of the leaf springs and they are touching the top of the spring. the curb side wheels have no such wires. Is there a concern about these wires getting chafed by the spring deflection over time?

Thanks,

Peter

(tried to upload photo-unable)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wires typically come through the frame from the front of the trailer on the driver’s side then a wire is usually routed through the the axle tube to tie in the curb side brakes. You should protect the wires from chafing if you feel that this is an issue. I also soldered my connections to eliminate any issues with the crimp connectors.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the reply...I'll find some way to isolate them from the springs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with soldering on any connection!! Wires should not touch anything . Leave plenty of extra slack in wires and coil them around and around so with the movement of the axle they will flex like a spring. Also I always remove the wiring from inside the axle!! Several chaffing possibilities exist where the wires enter and leave the axle tube, plus the inside of the axle tube may not be smooth. You have no idea what the inside looks like so why take a chance. I strap or tape the wires to the curb side brakes on the outside and back of the axle tube. This protects them from anything you may hit while moving down the road. A few years ago a friend had a horrible intermittent brake problems. We replaced his controller an had all four wheels off checking for shorts somewhere in the drum. Finally we decided the wiring inside the axle tube was possibly chaffed and we cut it loose from the curb side drum and pulled it out. WOW!! On two places in the wiring we pulled out we found the insulation had been rubbed off. Anytime this bounced around in the right manner it gave a shorted wire indication. Pull those wires out of the axle!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter,

I found that all 6 of my wires going to the wheels were rubbing the springs. I put a wire cover over each one so they would not rub.
    Monty and Nena, with our 4 legged friend Allie

2018 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn CC 4X4 DRW Mopar M25 hitch with 90 gal Aux tank
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 376TH
    2014 Harley Tri-Glide

[SIGPIC]http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARFLGAIAKSLAMNMSMONENMNDOKSCSDTNTXsm.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good suggestion...I had no idea wires would go through the axle tube!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good suggestion-I didn't know the wires went through the axle tube , but I guess the have to get over there somehow! Before I looked I expected that both sides would get their own line. Electricity is not my strong suit.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, last but not least, My dad graduated from West Point with Doc Blanchard-first junior to win a Heisman, so I have to say: Goooooooooooooo Ar-MY-Beat Navy!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like they could have come up with a better design for such a critical system!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokulele View Post
    Seems like they could have come up with a better design for such a critical system!
    I had found my brake wires were 14 Awg from the pin box through the front compartment, to the front left axle, then spliced to 18 Awg to the left front and rear brakes.
    The left front and rear brakes also splice to the 16 Awg wires through the axle tubes, then spliced to the 18 Awg for the right side brakes.

I wanted to reduce the voltage drop getting to each brake magnet.
    I changed the wiring so there's a separate run to left and right side brakes starting at the front compartment.
    Not using the wires through the axle tubes, and the jumper wires between front and rear brakes are larger gauge wire.
    The wires drop down from the coroplast and just clear the springs. Probably a bit closer than ideal, but I haven't seen any chafing so far.
    Used heat shrink butt connectors down near the brakes.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast