User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rearview Camera Solution 2019/2020 Silverado Owners

Hello there-

For those of us using a 2019/or 2020 Silverado or Sierra (The new T1 Model) as a tow vehicle, you should be aware that because of the vehicles "intelligent energy management system" if you install a backup camera onto a pre-wired trailer, it will not work.

The Trailer Light Circuit (which powers the camera) when powered from a late model GM truck 2019 and greater - is using PWM on the Circuit. The Voltage drops from 14.2 V to Zero every 10 milliseconds for a duration of about 1 millisecond (i.e. the voltage is at Zero for 1 millisecond).

An easy and cheap ($20) solution to this is this from ASA... https://www.amazon.com/ASA-Electroni...ef_=ast_bbp_dp

This may save someone from having to tow a new camper home without a working camera!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good information Antman. Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) is supposed to result in longer life for lighting and other components, but I'm surprised they are using it for trailer lights. Typically, PWM doesn't get along well with LED's, makes them flicker. That's why a lot of LED headlight kits include an anti-flicker module (either internally or externally). Since a lot of trailers use LED's now, that could create an issue whether or not a camera is used.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    That's good information Antman. Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) is supposed to result in longer life for lighting and other components, but I'm surprised they are using it for trailer lights. Typically, PWM doesn't get along well with LED's, makes them flicker. That's why a lot of LED headlight kits include an anti-flicker module (either internally or externally). Since a lot of trailers use LED's now, that could create an issue whether or not a camera is used.

John
    They use it for the advanced trailering features.
    The vehicle constantly monitors the lighting circuit and will alert you if any lights are out or malfunctioning.
    It’s kind of a pita.
    Every time I launch my boat and the trailer lights get wet I get all sorts of error messages that I have to clear. Lol
    Half baked idea I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Received my adapter today and gonna try it out. Looks like it may be a challenge to fit into the cavity behind the camera mount. We'll see how it goes.
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    [RIP] 2010 Coleman Utah Pop-Up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just figured out my Furrion shark fin camera will not pair because of the PWM issue with my 2021 Chevy 2500 HD. Does anyone know if this adapter listed above works with the 2021 GM trucks?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere you may have to drive with headlights on for the camera to work? For power supply.
    2018 Chev Silverado 3500 HD diesel
    2021 Solitude 380FL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Owner View Post
    I read somewhere you may have to drive with headlights on for the camera to work? For power supply.
    This is correct. Not a big deal, just an extra item to turn on/off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    [RIP] 2010 Coleman Utah Pop-Up

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems Furrion is having a tough time getting a suitable adapter to power their backup camera with 2020/21 GM heavy duty trucks like my Silverado 2500. So, I built a workaround using a Solid-State Relay circuit to power the rear camera from 12V battery power and not the lower voltage PWM that the Chevy is sending down the line for running lights. I have a 2021 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS but this workaround should work for most travel trailers.
    I didn’t want the truck to sense any power issues with the workaround AND I wanted a seamless fix that didn’t require manually switching the Relay on/off. To accomplish this, I used a solid-state relay (SSR) with a capacitor and diode to trigger the SSR input with the PWM voltage and send a full 12V to the camera and rear running lights.

Because the truck monitors the trailer running light connections, I left the front running lights on the original PWM green wire. These lights are turned on by the truck’s headlights like normal. The truck sees them on so no fault/warning on the truck infosystem.
    I mounted the new SSR junction box near the existing junction box. In the box, the rear running lights and camera wire connects to the 12V SSR position #1 (full 12V). The PWM green wire connects to SSR #3 to active the SSR. The truck’s battery wire (full 12V) connects to SSR #2 and SSR #4 is ground. The capacitor is located in the SSR box, but the diode is outside the box as the box was getting a little crowded.
    Finding a running light wire that feed only the rear of the trailer took investigation. Underneath the trailer on the front driver side, the truck side harness connects to the trailer harness in a small junction box (see pictures). I separated out the connections to the running lights (green wire). In my case, only one green wire exited the junction box to drive all running lights and camera. I tested different exposed green wires on the trailer to find one that only feed the rear running lights and the camera. I got lucky and the first wire I cut near the running light located underneath the hot water heater was a good one to split the running light circuit.

After all the wiring was installed and tested, I installed the rear back up camera and it connected to the wireless monitor right way with no issues, strong signal, and clear picture!

I’m happy this solution is “hands off”, no need to remember to flip a switch and no error messages.
    Hopefully, the attached diagrams, parts list, and pictures will fill in the details for those dealing with a PWM system keeping you from powering your cameras.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Furion back up camera - 2021 2500 Chevy workaround.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	38817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 original junction box left - SSR box right.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	38818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 original junction box.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	38819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 new SSR junction box 1.jpg 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	38820Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 new SSR junction box 2.jpg 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	38821