Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the new Momentum 350M

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but have actually been browsing for months here. This is why I have come closer to pulling the "trigger" on a 350M. I have seen the quality of the 380 and 385 Momentums and I am over the moon for the way they look and feel. For me, the lighter Toy Hauler is ideal because I currently own a 2013 F250 with firestone airbags and Helwig rear sway bars. To keep the weight in the right class, I am looking at these new lighter toy haulers but have a few questions. First of all, I am not new to camping. I did a lot with my parents growing up and I currently own a TT with a bunkhouse design. When the wife and I bought this just over a year ago, I had a smaller truck and what we thought we needed in a camper is why we got this. I never thought I would need a big toy hauler, but as we began camping more and more, our needs have changed. This summer we've looked at hundred of units from all the manufacturers and none seem to fit what we need with a small family. That's when we came to see the first Grand Design, and boy let me tell you how wonderful it looked. After talking with one of the heads of design and development of the Momentums at Grand Design, he informed me that there was a lighter toy hauler coming out, so we decided to wait. Well the wait is almost over, (I think). We haven't had a 350M come on to any local lots down in south Louisiana yet, so the only looks I have had of this unit has been from pictures from other dealers in other states helping me out. What these pictures don't do is tell me the full story, I need to know about a few things.

1. In the front bedroom there is a second A/C unit, but this unit has knobs on the ceiling part. When I asked the dealer if this was controlled from the actual unit or from a thermostat, he told me it was controlled off the thermostat, but he could not tell me why the knobs are on there. So, can anyone here help me with this one? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-15.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	1099

2. On one of the pictures he sent me of the rear of the unit, I noticed that it has a small black object just above the rear clearance lights dead center of the unit. He sent me the build sheet and it doesn't show a camera option on it, but was wondering what this could be if it's not a camera. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	1100

3. On the Grand Design Website, it shows a picture of the rear front of the garage looking towards the coach interior and it shows it to have what appears to be a fantastic fan control switch, is this only an option for the M-Class units?

4. We looked at another brand with the exact layout of this unit, it had the outside entertainment package (Includes a tv and speakers in a compartment behind the sofa's on the slide), but on this other brand, because this option is there, the middle two recliners cannot recline due to that box being there. Does anybody know if this is an issue with the Grand Designs?

5. I never had a Onan 5500 Generator, anyone with this generator, have you ran it while sleeping at night? If so, is it loud and does it vibrate the bedroom bed?

None of these things are really deal breakers for me, but because we don't have a unit in Louisiana (and I don't know when we will get one) I don't want to travel 4 hours and 300 miles to get to the nearest dealer and be disappointed that these things were not up to my standards. So please, if anybody has any input on this things, please help me out. Thanks bunches and I do looking forward to being the next family member in the Grand Design Family.
    Last edited by GD350M; 11-25-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Not sure where that picture came from, but they do have a ducted A/C that is controlled from the thermostat. That pic may be from the prototype. If you look on Grand Designs website, they have the photo gallery of the 350M, and it clearly shows a different A/C in their bedroom pictures.

2. All Grand Design products now come prepped for the Furrion back up camera. What you see is the base for the camera.

3. Maxx Fans are optional in the garage of all Momentums.

4. All 4 seats recline in the 350M.

5. All generators are fairly loud. You are sleeping on top of it, so some noise is going to make it into the bedroom.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GD350M View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but have actually been browsing for months here. This is why I have come closer to pulling the "trigger" on a 350M. I have seen the quality of the 380 and 385 Momentums and I am over the moon for the way they look and feel. For me, the lighter Toy Hauler is ideal because I currently own a 2013 F250 with firestone airbags and Helwig rear sway bars. To keep the weight in the right class, I am looking at these new lighter toy haulers but have a few questions. First of all, I am not new to camping. I did a lot with my parents growing up and I currently own a TT with a bunkhouse design. When the wife and I bought this just over a year ago, I had a smaller truck and what we thought we needed in a camper is why we got this. I never thought I would need a big toy hauler, but as we began camping more and more, our needs have changed. This summer we've looked at hundred of units from all the manufacturers and none seem to fit what we need with a small family. That's when we came to see the first Grand Design, and boy let me tell you how wonderful it looked. After talking with one of the heads of design and development of the Momentums at Grand Design, he informed me that there was a lighter toy hauler coming out, so we decided to wait. Well the wait is almost over, (I think). We haven't had a 350M come on to any local lots down in south Louisiana yet, so the only looks I have had of this unit has been from pictures from other dealers in other states helping me out. What these pictures don't do is tell me the full story, I need to know about a few things.

1. In the front bedroom there is a second A/C unit, but this unit has knobs on the ceiling part. When I asked the dealer if this was controlled from the actual unit or from a thermostat, he told me it was controlled off the thermostat, but he could not tell me why the knobs are on there. So, can anyone here help me with this one? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-15.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	1099

2. On one of the pictures he sent me of the rear of the unit, I noticed that it has a small black object just above the rear clearance lights dead center of the unit. He sent me the build sheet and it doesn't show a camera option on it, but was wondering what this could be if it's not a camera. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	1100

3. On the Grand Design Website, it shows a picture of the rear front of the garage looking towards the coach interior and it shows it to have what appears to be a fantastic fan control switch, is this only an option for the M-Class units?

4. We looked at another brand with the exact layout of this unit, it had the outside entertainment package (Includes a tv and speakers in a compartment behind the sofa's on the slide), but on this other brand, because this option is there, the middle two recliners cannot recline due to that box being there. Does anybody know if this is an issue with the Grand Designs?

5. I never had a Onan 5500 Generator, anyone with this generator, have you ran it while sleeping at night? If so, is it loud and does it vibrate the bedroom bed?

None of these things are really deal breakers for me, but because we don't have a unit in Louisiana (and I don't know when we will get one) I don't want to travel 4 hours and 300 miles to get to the nearest dealer and be disappointed that these things were not up to my standards. So please, if anybody has any input on this things, please help me out. Thanks bunches and I do looking forward to being the next family member in the Grand Design Family.

GD350M

First of all you won't go wrong with the GD product! We have had our 369 RL for a year and still couldn't be happier!
    If you will copy and paste your questions to the tech corner, you will find that Janice from customer service monitors that section on a daily basis. In my experience she will answer all your questions!
    Good luck! Hope you buy the 350 and hope to see you at the rally next year! We all had a great time this year!
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum GD350M! Like Sandi said, you will not be disappointed with a Grand Design product.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. The picture came from the salesman who took it at the dealership that is 4 hours away. That's why I asked about this, because what I saw on GD website shows a different type of unit that Ive seen on all campers with two AC ducted.

3. Do you own a 350M or sat in one to verify that the two center seats recline all the way back to almost a lay down position?

Thanks for all that replied and I will also copy my question into the tech corner and see what Ms. Janice says about these as well.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sell Grand Design products....

I've never seen a factory installed second air unit with the knob controls on a GD product. Did they install it at the dealership?? Maybe??

If they did it at the factory, that would be news to me.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    I sell Grand Design products....

I've never seen a factory installed second air unit with the knob controls on a GD product. Did they install it at the dealership?? Maybe??

If they did it at the factory, that would be news to me.
    Thank you huntr70 for all your help. I did post to the tech corner, and from what I have gathered, Grand Design has decided to add a drop in AC now in the room. I am starting to see that Grand Design is cutting corner with cheaper options and still charging the higher price. As they are getting bigger and busier. I hope I'm wrong though.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can find out for sure next week, as I will see all the guys at the Louisville industry show....
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth- we just ordered the 380TH, and found that there was a pretty significant discrepancy between what options are listed on the GD website and what you can actually order at the dealer. If you're ready to get very serious about one (and don't feel like waiting to buy whatever shows up on your local lots) I'd suggest talking to somebody who sells 'em. Then you'll find out what what the mandatory options (what the blazes is a "mandatory option"?) are, and what you can have added. Don't forget to upgrade the tires, unless you enjoy blowouts.

And good luck with whatever you decide!
    Ussuri Bruin (and his owners)
    2014 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 3500 DRW
    24K Pull-Rite SuperGlide Hitch
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Traveling Piper
    We have placed an order for a 350m class and the ac knobs in the badroom unit were for a heat pump that is part of that unit. It iis a good thing to have a little heat to take the chill off and not use your propane. We have had that on other trailers and loved it, especially here in the south. Works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast