User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintek Slide question

Do the Schwintek rails need periodic lubrication and if so, what is the recommend product and frequency? All comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's recommended that the rails NOT be lubricated. However the motors and gears that drive the rails in and out should be lubricated with a light PTFE lubricant that resists collecting dirt.

Here's a video illustrating the objective and the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXw9I_DoAvI
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woops. too late. i suppose one lube can’t hurt but now i know. thanks!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the video was very helpful, thank you. during my research I've found more than a few people who recommend spraying the CRC Power Lube on the tracks as well, so, I'm
    not sure if to do that would be helpful or harmful or neither. The guy in the video you sent does not show or speak of lubing the tracks but also does not mention if it is harmful
    or not recommended to do so, so it tends to be a little confusing. All suggestions or recommendations appreciated. thanks again

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to be a mixed bag, the video does not mention lubricating the rails and since the video is done by a Lippert tech, I have not lubed the rails on my previous and current rigs. On the other hand a GD traveling tech I spoke with at a rally recently said to lubricate the rails as well. I suspect the reason the Lippert video does not mention lubricating the rails is out of concern of attracting dirt and debris which would negatively affect operation. It is my plan to continue not lubricating the rails.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agreed, makes sense to me. since i’ve seen a number of non Lippert videos recommending to lub the tracks occasionally, i’ll bet the one time lub that i’ve already done won’t cause a problem, i’ll keep my fingers crossed and cease any further lub other than what was shown in the video we’ve discussed.
    Last edited by Schiefswret; 11-24-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the issue with lubing the tracks is that the lube may attract and hold dust and dirt particles, even blowing sand. This acts as an abrasive when the slide is activated. A small stiff nylon brush is your slide’s friend, just give the tracks a rub to remove any foreign matter before retracting the slide. Lubing the gear pivots and the guide blocks per the referenced video with a dry teflon based lube is ideal. I also use the same lube on my slider window tracks to keep them operating smoothly.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    It seems to be a mixed bag, the video does not mention lubricating the rails and since the video is done by a Lippert tech, I have not lubed the rails on my previous and current rigs. On the other hand a GD traveling tech I spoke with at a rally recently said to lubricate the rails as well. I suspect the reason the Lippert video does not mention lubricating the rails is out of concern of attracting dirt and debris which would negatively affect operation. It is my plan to continue not lubricating the rails.
    @Schiefswret the bolded text above is information I've seen elsewhere as the reasoning for not lubricating the rails. The motors that do this job are not exactly over-specified for the task and anything that increases the effort for them is probably unwise.

FWIW I've asked other travelers about this occasionally and a large handful have all said like BB&LAB that they don't lube the rails.

Finally, it's probably worth noting that the rails are not lubed when they are installed or delivered to owners.

Since EVERYTHING we read on the internet is true, we have to make choices about which truth we want to believe. Good luck with your choice.

P.S. It's a good idea when responding to any post here to use the "Reply With Quote" link at the bottom of the message you're replying to. That way, whatever you're responding to gets copied into your reply - which helps improve context as threads grow longer - and more importantly the person you're responding to gets a notification of your response and is more likely to see it and read it. You asked me a question above; I just saw it now.
    Last edited by boyscout; 11-25-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agreed, i’m on schedule to remove the first and only rail lube that i put on last week. much appreciate your contribution.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2020 2150 manual states that the upper and lower gear racks on each side of the slide should be lubricated with a dry lube (graphite spray) "occasionally".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast