User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that Grand Design used this design for cost savings. I'm sure relocating the cold air return will work also. We spent last winter in north central Pennsylvania with single digit nites. The heater was adequate but there were cold spots. We also used the fireplace and two portable ceramic heaters (one in basement & one in bedroom). We didn't notice any cold air coming in from under the steps. The biggest problem was the windows until we put the 3M window shrink insulation kits on them.
    2019 Ford F-350 Limited
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mntbikejack View Post
    I suspect that Grand Design used this design for cost savings. I'm sure relocating the cold air return will work also. We spent last winter in north central Pennsylvania with single digit nites. The heater was adequate but there were cold spots. We also used the fireplace and two portable ceramic heaters (one in basement & one in bedroom). We didn't notice any cold air coming in from under the steps. The biggest problem was the windows until we put the 3M window shrink insulation kits on them.
    When I first noticed the cold air coming in from the steps it was a cold night. I had just come inside from taking the dogs out and when I removed my shoes, I felt really cold air below the steps. When I got down and looked with a flashlight, that was my first look at the open space. We had the furnace on, the fireplace and a ceramic heater running near the desk since my wife complained that it always seemed cold there. As soon as I put some high density foam in the back of those steps, the coach warmed up nicely. That is when I first called GD thinking they had just forgotten to close up the space. They told me it was 'to keep the furnace from overheating.' In your case, having a heater in the basement storage area likely reduced the impact of cold air coming into the living space.

Same issue this past summer. AC ran constantly, even in moderately warm temps......85F outside. I had removed the foam but the air coming in from the steps was about 82F. That hot air was right below the wall thermostat so I put the foam back in. What a difference it made in cooling inside the rig.

When we get back to the rig, I plan to disassemble that box in the bottom of the pantry and see what is there. If there is enough space, I will cut a nice opening in that lower panel and install a return grill. That should give the furnace plenty of return air.

Tell me more about the 3M window film. We don't have double pane glass (almost didn't buy the coach because of it) and IMO the single panes make the coach colder in winter and harder to cool in summer. Does the film reduce condensation? How about visibility? My wife said no way on using Reflectix.
    Last edited by KirbyRVA; 11-27-2019 at 07:18 AM.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3M window film is invisible and has eliminated most of the condensation. The downside is it has to be removed every season if you want to open your windows and it cannot be reused.
    2019 Ford F-350 Limited
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our issue near the ocean is humidity and condensation. I plan to get a small dehumidifier this winter. If that doesn't help enough, I may try the window film.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my 2017 384GK the cold air return is in the pantry. Mine has the same “box” in the bottom of the pantry but it is sealed up. The return vent is above the box under the bottom shelf.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12