User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Tow Vehicle ? for possible 351M

Hello everyone first post here, I am about to pull the trigger on a 2019 RAM 3500 Diesel SRW Short Bed with 4K payload, would this be enough truck for the 351M as that is the fifth wheel we have our eyes on? It's only me and my wife and we have never traveled with full water tanks but before I put down the money and trade in my 2500 wanted to ask.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellerdj View Post
    Hello everyone first post here, I am about to pull the trigger on a 2019 RAM 3500 Diesel SRW Short Bed with 4K payload, would this be enough truck for the 351M as that is the fifth wheel we have our eyes on? It's only me and my wife and we have never traveled with full water tanks but before I put down the money and trade in my 2500 wanted to ask.

Thanks in advance
    Based on the 16,800 lb GVWR of this model and 22% pin weight, hitch and truck passengers I think you will be right at the edge of this working if you don't load it right up to the 16,800 lbs. Really will depend on how much you load and where I think you will be right around 4000 lb limit of the truck.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, that's what I figured I just don't want to go dually since this also my daily driver. I don't believe I would ever come close to fully loading it, I have an Octane now and don't come close to getting half to fully loaded

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely consider this pairing carefully. The 351M is a large camper. You may want to look at the pin weight analysis I just posted regarding our Reflection 367BHS with a UVW of 12250 and GVWR of 14995. Our actual pin weight is much higher than the weight stated on the GDRV app for our model. Toy haulers do experience a phenomenon that other campers do not that may help you with pin weight. With the “toy” in the garage being a heavy point load at the rear of the rig this shifts weight from the pin to the axles on the camper which may help to keep you within limits. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, i had the same issue with our current toy hauler the Jayco Octane 35' 13K GVWR stated 1400# was actually 1800# but do you think will be 1k over as i never travel with tanks full, don't believe i will ever be close to max especially since the axles on this are only rated for 14k, let me know if i am far off and need to rethink this purchase Thanks

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weight isn't the only thing to consider when it comes to towing a trailer the size you're looking at. Stability is also extremely important, since you'll be towing a giant sail. There are countless YouTube videos of big rigs being blown over. On a couple of the forums I belong to, many comment on the stability factor of a SRW (especially a shortbed) vs DRW. You're doing right asking about a TV to fit the trailer you want instead of the other way. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited, DRW, HO diesel, Aisin 4:10, 4x4, CC

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one will not be any different for the Sail issue as my travel trailer Toy Hauler is only 1" lower at 13.4 i just figure being a 5th wheel will be more stable than i am right now with heavier truck.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellerdj View Post
    This one will not be any different for the Sail issue as my travel trailer Toy Hauler is only 1" lower at 13.4 i just figure being a 5th wheel will be more stable than i am right now with heavier truck.
    Well ok...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited, DRW, HO diesel, Aisin 4:10, 4x4, CC

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, Im new to the forum and we just bought a 351M this summer. Our previous 5th wheel was a Cedar Creek Hathaway scaled at 12700 and tongue weight was 2600. I pulled that with a 3500 Ram Laramie Longhorn. It had no problem pulling the Cedar Creek but it moved the truck a lot. Not sway, just moved it. Braking was my issue. With the controller set where I could feel the trailer slow down first, it still pushed the Ram. I changed to a F-450 dually and it was much better to tow. Barely any movement and of course the huge brakes on the 450 make big difference. My 351m scales out at 14,700 loaded with our stuff, full propane, full gas tanks and empty freshwater. My tongue weight is 2880 and 2760 with my HD RoadGlide (1100lbs..ish) loaded in the garage. It tows different than the Cedar Creek and I guess its because the 351M axles are further back. After towing the Cedar Creek with a SRW and knowing how heavy this 351M is, if I were to have stayed with a SRW, I personally would have invested into a disc brake conversion for the 351m as soon as possible. Overall, a dually made it more stable and worry free towing experience. Just my 2 cents from my experience.....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrick View Post
    Hello, Im new to the forum and we just bought a 351M this summer. Our previous 5th wheel was a Cedar Creek Hathaway scaled at 12700 and tongue weight was 2600. I pulled that with a 3500 Ram Laramie Longhorn. It had no problem pulling the Cedar Creek but it moved the truck a lot. Not sway, just moved it. Braking was my issue. With the controller set where I could feel the trailer slow down first, it still pushed the Ram. I changed to a F-450 dually and it was much better to tow. Barely any movement and of course the huge brakes on the 450 make big difference. My 351m scales out at 14,700 loaded with our stuff, full propane, full gas tanks and empty freshwater. My tongue weight is 2880 and 2760 with my HD RoadGlide (1100lbs..ish) loaded in the garage. It tows different than the Cedar Creek and I guess its because the 351M axles are further back. After towing the Cedar Creek with a SRW and knowing how heavy this 351M is, if I were to have stayed with a SRW, I personally would have invested into a disc brake conversion for the 351m as soon as possible. Overall, a dually made it more stable and worry free towing experience. Just my 2 cents from my experience.....
    His number show the difference the rear point load of his motorcycle makes on pin weight. The 351M is a larger camper than our Reflection 367BHS but due to the loaded garage area his pin weight is several hundred pounds less than my estimated 3454 lbs.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast