User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there are two of you have your travel partner give you an extra set of eyes when backing up or driving in tight spots. I've seen many people back into water and electrical hookups. Also be aware of your height. Know the exact amount of clearance required. Over hanging tree limbs in campgrounds can do severe damage to A/C covers. Also beware of the extra width it takes to let the slides out. On our first trip in a 5th wheel with slides we positioned the camper, unhooked from tow vehicle, leveled it up, plugged in the electric and then realized the main slide would not come out because of a metal post holding the garbage can!! So we spent the first night in the new camper all cramped up with the slide in. You are in for a great adventure but it takes a while to iron out all the wrinkles and get to be seasoned campers. Gender has nothing to do with it. I've owned four truck campers and three 5th wheels and continue to occasionally do something stupid. You just have to be aware of your surroundings and what you are doing. Lay the cell phone down, turn off the radio and get your mind in the game.
    Last edited by Likes to tow; 11-27-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never back up without a spotter...Never! My wife is the only spotter I use. We're used to each other and when I don't see her in the mirror I stop until I do.

I don't take my trailer to get diesel. I have an auxiliary tank that holds enough for 2 to 3 days driving (90 gal). If I were to buy another one I would get 45 to 50 gal.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't matter what is between your legs. Find an empty parking lot, setup some cones and practice for the day. Watch some YouTube videos before and you will be just fine.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All great info. Hurrah for the ladies and gents out there than are not afraid to learn and gain experience. My wife had never towed anything before but is gaining experience and confidence the more she gets behind the wheel. Turning and backing is her issue but she is getting there. Simple maneuvering she can now handle but still needs practice in complicated backing. She is still getting used to always using the mirrors and visualizing in her mind what is happening at the very back of the coach. Thats the hard part I think for some people, visualizing in their mind what is going to happen when I turn the wheel one way or the other and how far to go or hold it turned. That is the practice part of it.

One thing I found interesting, when studying for the Texas Class A Non-CDL, it mentions to use a spotter, then when taking the driving skills test they don't allow you to use a spotter. Go figure! But always use a spotter when backing and always keep in eye contact.

Additionally, I think a lot of it has to do with a persons driving skills and personality. A very passive, timid person will probably never get it, maybe terrified of the thought. Likewise an aggressive person / driver will probably never get it also.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Look Left. Look Right. But don't forget to Look Up!!!!! That's my advice--from experience.
    Any very important, check tail swing. I also carry a height measuring stick for the Hmmm I wonder if I will clear moments.

To get an idea of tail swing (where it swings wider than the tires) is lay out a straight line along the trailer in a parking lot (use parking spot markings. Then as you turn have someone watch and mark points where the rear of the trailer swings outside that line. It can be an issue in campgrounds with narrow roads and trucks parked in front of their trailers, or clipping signs, rocks, shrubs, etc when pulling out of a camping spot.

My brother told me a story where he took out two new shrubs planted in a campground to prevent folks from parking on the grass. As he pulled out he got the one at the campsite and the second just driving down the road to a turn to get out. Bent his new trailer bumper. When we measure his tail swing it was close to 4.5 Feet.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't listen to others about not going longer than 34ft. Our trailer is 38ft. Hitched up we are a lot longer than a 38ft fiver. Our overall length is 61ft. We still use the same campsites we did with our 28ft trailer.
    And as far as a woman not being able to handle a trailer. I know some women that will put most men to shame towing and backing a trailer.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are 2 women fulltiming with a 303 which is a bit shorter than your model but not much difference. We can both drive, setup, backup and do each other’s jobs in case a health emergency occurs while on the road. During our summer travels, I fell and broke my right ankle in the middle of the Ozark mountains. Right after surgery, back at the RV was very difficult to get around hoping on one leg with crutches. Dealing with gravel or dirt campsites made helping to set up or to leave impossible. I was able to drive and could at least help with backing up and connecting. But because we both can do each other’s jobs, we managed and made it through that ordeal. Think about fulltiming as life in your sticks and bricks with ever changing views and challenges. Working as a team is my best advice, matters not your gender. Practice, practice, practice and fuel up at truck stops along your route. In no time, you will feel comfortable enough but it is scary at the beginning.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people prefer a spotter when backing in but I'm just the opposite. My wife takes the dogs for a walk while I get set up. We do have a rear vision camera on the back of the RV that helps a lot.

Get out and go look as many times as you need to. Eventually, as you get better and better you'll need to get out less and less. Also, in tight spaces don't be afraid to go knock on sombody's door and explain "hey, I'm kind of new at this and I'd feel much safer if I could get you to move your truck until I get parked please?". I'd much rather move my truck for somebody that's new than to hear a loud crunch on my truck.

If you think you can do it....you can! If you think you can't do it....you can't. But don't let others determine that for you.....don't listen to the negative!
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everybody covered the important points. I am in the gender doesn't matter camp. We have seen plenty of single ladies with big RV's.

My biggest pointer is very simple; slow down.

Take your time, take extra time going around corners, if you are going slower than normal traffic it gives all the other drivers plenty of time to adjust to your turn pattern. It gives you plenty of time to check the mirrors to see is you are turning wide enough to miss the curb/light poles etc.

I only pull my 5th wheel at 60 mph, even in 80 mph zones. It annoy's others, but it is much safer, and better fuel mileage. Gives me a lot more time to react to driving events.

Backing up. Having a spotter is always a good thing, particularly if the spotter is also a driver and understands what is needed. But you don't always get to have one. So it's ok to take forever to back into a spot. I have backed up six inches, gotten out and checked, another six inches, another check, repeat. I have frequently pulled all the way back out and started over.

Over friendly neighbors. Working as a campground host I am cautioned by our sponsors against giving advice for people parking their RV's. And over time I have learned to head that advice. But as a newbie your neighbors will recognize your hesitance, your just being careful, but most peoples tendency is to try and help. When they are PITA helping politely thank them and tell what you really need is just someone to help spot. Gives them something to do, they feel they are helping, and it gets them to shut up so you can concentrate without the distraction.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    Some people prefer a spotter when backing in but I'm just the opposite. My wife takes the dogs for a walk while I get set up. We do have a rear vision camera on the back of the RV that helps a lot.

Get out and go look as many times as you need to. Eventually, as you get better and better you'll need to get out less and less. Also, in tight spaces don't be afraid to go knock on sombody's door and explain "hey, I'm kind of new at this and I'd feel much safer if I could get you to move your truck until I get parked please?". I'd much rather move my truck for somebody that's new than to hear a loud crunch on my truck.

If you think you can do it....you can! If you think you can't do it....you can't. But don't let others determine that for you.....don't listen to the negative!
    I agree.... I prefer to go it alone also. I have lots of experience and know how I need to do things - not only with the RV but also with our gooseneck and bumper pulls we have in our business. It causes me consternation to have “help” as I have to watch what they are doing as well as trying to pay attention to what you are doing. If you prefer to have help then be sure to have help. Just do what you are most comfortable with and take you time. You will figure out what works. It may also be helpful to make a hitch/unhitch/road preparation check list to help you remember everything.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast